Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 9: Lions @ Chargers Thread

Hutchinson missed 2 sacks today and let the QB out of the pocket for big plays. He needs to fix that shit. Playoff teams won't let us get away with those. Lucky this game wasn't lost.

Who?s team won

Bosa?s or Hutch?s ?

Yeah he missed a few. But the whole defense missed a bunch.

Last edited:
Watching the score as the game played out, I had a feeling they would win by a field goal. By the skin of their teeth!

The Lions are 15-4 since Week 9 of last season.

Amon-Ra St. Brown's last 7 games:
6 catches, 102 yards
9 catches, 102 yards
5 catches, 56 yards, TD
12 catches, 124 yards, TD
13 catches, 102 yards
6 catches, 108 yards
8 catches, 156 yards, TD

The teams combined to go for it on eight fourth downs. Lions were 4-5 and the Chargers 3-3. I don't know what the record is but I can never remember watching a game where they went for it on 4th down more than 8 times.....hell, more than 5 times.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...onder-if-defense-is-just-a-mirage/ar-AA1jOzdt

Someone must have kidnapped the Lions? real defense and substituted 11 imposters instead, Scooby-Doo style. Actually, it was no laughing matter how poorly the defense played while allowing the Chargers to come back from a 17-3 deficit and score touchdowns on five straight possessions. Sieves stop water better the Lions stopped anyone wearing a bolt on their helmet Sunday. The Lions entered the game with the No. 5 overall defense, but it?s fair to wonder if that wasn?t somewhat of a mirage that came with the help of shutting out bad offenses like the Bucs?, Raiders? and Falcons. The Chargers have a good offense led by an excellent quarterback and good play-caller, but the Chargers have the kind of offense that the Lions will be expected to stop in the playoffs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...onder-if-defense-is-just-a-mirage/ar-AA1jOzdt

Someone must have kidnapped the Lions? real defense and substituted 11 imposters instead, Scooby-Doo style. Actually, it was no laughing matter how poorly the defense played while allowing the Chargers to come back from a 17-3 deficit and score touchdowns on five straight possessions. Sieves stop water better the Lions stopped anyone wearing a bolt on their helmet Sunday. The Lions entered the game with the No. 5 overall defense, but it?s fair to wonder if that wasn?t somewhat of a mirage that came with the help of shutting out bad offenses like the Bucs?, Raiders? and Falcons. The Chargers have a good offense led by an excellent quarterback and good play-caller, but the Chargers have the kind of offense that the Lions will be expected to stop in the playoffs.

Yes we agree but.

We better score first and or have the ball last with a chance to win. That is all we can ask for in the playoffs. We all knew this defense still wasn?t ready for elite status yet. Probably a year or two away. Offense is pretty darn playoff ready.

Vikings, Seattle and Dallas are the opponents in the Wild Card round for sure. We'll have practice against all 3 of them (Vikings twice) to see what we can do

We couldn't stop Seattle already

Someone besides Hutch and McNeil needs to step up. It's coming down to pass rush in those games

Last edited:
I?m sure they covered it earlier but wtf

I?ve watched espn from 9 to 9:50 am this morning and not one mention of Lions win at any time.
I turn it to the nfl network and they mention it in the first few minutes.

Last edited:
I think a big reason we went for it on 4th and 2 was the Vikings game Week 3 last year and Campbell definitely learned from it

Lions up 24-21 and miss the 54 yarder. Vikings score late and win 28-24

This time go for the 4th and run the clock down. Great move even during the tie game. Now if we didn't get the 4th, would have definitely been blamed badly but the right call and Campbell always learning and evolving

I agree

That 4th and 2 was plain and simple. They didn?t want the Chargers to have the ball last. And if they don?t convert they had 3 timeouts still which the Chargers did not have. Go for it and make it and you kick last. I would have tried to get closer and trust Montgomery or Gibbs wouldn?t fumble.
I was unsure what to do do but my heart was racing when he did.

I think Laporta was the 2nd read I think. The throw wasn?t perfect. Great catch by that rookie.
Lions convert and kick and win a shootout!

Also Goff said in the post game he wasn?t touched all game. Stats show he was touched 2 times. We are all concerned about the defense pass rush. But the Chargers I just heard had the 3rd most sacks in the NFL coming into that game and Goff wasn?t never hit hard once.

Last edited:
I agree

That 4th and 2 was plain and simple. They didn?t want the Chargers to have the ball last. And if they don?t convert they had 3 timeouts still which the Chargers did not have. Go for it and make it and you kick last. I would have tried to get closer and trust Montgomery or Gibbs wouldn?t fumble.

I think Laporta was the 2nd read I think. The throw wasn?t perfect. Great catch by that rookie.

Also Goff said in the post game he wasn?t touched all game. Stats show he was touched 2 times. We are all concerned about the defense pass rush. But the Chargers I just heard had the 3rd most sacks in the NFL coming into that game and Goff wasn?t never hit hard once.

That was probably the O Line's best game. I never even heard Bosa or Mack's name during the broadcast.3

I agree

I guess it goes to show that sacks aren't the only thing to consider. The Chargers are ranked last giving the most passing yards per game in the NFL.

I guess it goes to show that sacks aren't the only thing to consider. The Chargers are ranked last giving the most passing yards per game in the NFL.

They have a good amount of pressure too they get. But still have to cover sometimes and not give up YAC. Coverage has to perform

Samuel, Derwin James, Gilman are decent players too. Problems at CB2 and nickel for them and LB coverage

Back