Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

"I wish Verlander was a True Ace"

Weaver has no chance. He is way behind in innings and Ks and has 20 wins based on the fact that he got a fucking ridiculous 6 runs per game in support from the Angels this year coupled with their awesome defense. If Verlander had that run support and defense he could have easily won 25-30 games this year IMO.

The race seems to be pretty close between Price and Verlander, but anyone who looks at the numbers can see that Verlander is the clear-cut winner. I hope the writers see what most fans do; that Price leads in wins and ERA (which mean all of jack shit these days) and trails Verlander in basically every other stat. Verlander should win, it should be a no-brainer.

If you look up articles posted in the last week JV gets the nod more than the others but it's hardly unanimous...in fact many articles list the Cy Young in the AL as the closest race.

I know I'm going to regret even discussing stats but...

unquestionably JV is the horse of the bunch...most durable and as a result has more K's and Innings logged...aside from those stats (and the beloved WAR) His FIP, ERA, XFIP, and WHIP are all very very close with Price...with Price with the edge in wins (albeit yes...a category declining in popularity.) and you have to take into account that JV having won it last year is probably more a detriment than a help.

so as a Tiger fan I want JV to win...and yes he is undoubtedly the best pitcher over the last four seasons cumulative...but what I joined this thread against was the opinion that JV is a shoo in for the CY Young....which imo is not the case.

If you look up articles posted in the last week JV gets the nod more than the others but it's hardly unanimous...in fact many articles list the Cy Young in the AL as the closest race.

I know I'm going to regret even discussing stats but...

unquestionably JV is the horse of the bunch...most durable and as a result has more K's and Innings logged...aside from those stats (and the beloved WAR) His FIP, ERA, XFIP, and WHIP are all very very close with Price...with Price with the edge in wins (albeit yes...a category declining in popularity.) and you have to take into account that JV having won it last year is probably more a detriment than a help.

so as a Tiger fan I want JV to win...and yes he is undoubtedly the best pitcher over the last four seasons cumulative...but what I joined this thread against was the opinion that JV is a shoo in for the CY Young....which imo is not the case.

I disagree.

I think it helps him. Verlander proved himself the best pitcher on baseball last year, and by a wide margin. This year it's a little closer, but it's obvious that from a pitcher only stand point, Verlander is hands down superior to the others.

The only argument anyone can make for Price is the .08 ERA advantage. The wins are a product of the team, not the pitcher. When you factor all the stats Verlander clearly beats him, and who needs any writers or publications to tell them that, the stats are readily accessible.

And I don't care about Weavers wins (nobody else should either) 3 more wins don't make up for 51 innings and 98 strikeouts. Weaver is not in the discussion.

Weaver won't win number 21 tonight...got shelled.

JV will still wind up in the top 5 in wins...Max could join him by the end of the night.
1st in Ks, 2nd in ERA, 2nd in WHIP. Still not too shabby. Cy Young vote is going to be close this year...

Weaver won't win number 21 tonight...got shelled.

JV will still wind up in the top 5 in wins...Max could join him by the end of the night.
1st in Ks, 2nd in ERA, 2nd in WHIP. Still not too shabby. Cy Young vote is going to be close this year...

If JV doesn't win it I'm okay with Price getting it. But, please, don't let that little dick in Anaheim win it.

Hey reddick, crisp, and chico, how does JV's ass taste!!
Game 5 ALDS Verlander Complete Game 4 hit Shutout with 11 strikeouts in oakland.

One of my favorite lines in a long time......

Pedro Gomez - "Justin, at any point did Jim come up to you and ask if you wanted to come out"?

JV - "No, he knew better"

Gomez - "What would you have said"?

JV - "NOTHING......I would have just kept walking"

That's bad ass.

Last edited:
Hah. Funny. The thread that unraveled before the first post was finished.

Back