Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

"I wish Verlander was a True Ace"

It was pretty good.

He's 12-8.

I was listening to this LA guy, Steve Hartman, who remembers everything, who was saying that both Tom Seaver and Jim Palmer had off years right around the the age the age Verlander is now, and they they both came back.

He speculated that it maybe was because of the number of innings they had recently pitched.

I came in in the middle of his discussion; I don't even think his comments were within the context of JV or not....

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/v/verlaju01.shtml
Justin with just over 1700 innings. in his 8th season. This one hasn't been as good as previous 2.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/seaveto01.shtml
Seaver over 1900 innings in 7 seasons every 4th day. and then in 1974 not as good as previous.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/palmeji01.shtml
Palmer similar but with a break in service time, full year in 66, then the sore arm in 67 missing all of 68, and then about 1400 innings before his mediocre 1974 and 8th full season.

So yes, there is something there to what Hartman was saying.

Here's to JV getting back to '11 and '12, the rest of this season, and more vintage years like the other two all time greats had.

Some how JV got to go 5-0 in his last few starts. He has only one double digit losing season and has only one season he has not got to 17 wins in a full season.

Really eight seasons with double digits wins is quite good. And 210 decisions in 258 games, and 136 of them being wins that like 52%. Got to really like those numbers.

Tigers got to score runs for all there pitchers.Of course Verlander got to do his part too, 6 given today was not a good day!

So which ace SP will be taking the mound most often during the postseason, should the Tigers clinch a berth?

Dr. Elite or Mr. Vulnerable?

JV's postseason numbers overall are mediocre at best. 4.22 era and a 1.237 WHIP in 70 IP. He either shut down an opponent or was very hittable., even when disregarding/omitting his rookie year. Out of the 6 wins that he has recorded, about half were truly ace-like and all occurred last year in the ALDS and CS.

So which ace SP will be taking the mound most often during the postseason, should the Tigers clinch a berth?

Dr. Elite or Mr. Vulnerable?

JV's postseason numbers overall are mediocre at best. 4.22 era and a 1.237 WHIP in 70 IP. He either shut down an opponent or was very hittable., even when disregarding/omitting his rookie year. Out of the 6 wins that he has recorded, about half were truly ace-like and all occurred last year in the ALDS and CS.

unfortunately it will most likely be Mr Vunerable. We were talking about him and the Tigers after golf last night. We were all discussing what the rotation will look like if / when the Tigers make the playoffs. Most of us thought that it SHOULD be Max, Sanchez, JV then Fister. I doubt that's how it WILL be.

We were talking about him and the Tigers after golf last night.

So Tom, did you get one of those mild to medium strength Macanudo cigars as I suggested?

We were talking about him and the Tigers after golf last night.

So Tom, did you get one of those mild to medium strength Macanudo cigars as I suggested?

nope. I played in my league and it was a shitty out...light rain the entire night. Not good cigar weather!

So who was that shithook on a baseball channel that said Verlander should be in the bullpen for the ALDS.....I'm thinking it was mr. brian kenny. = GFY mr. BK.

Gotta love that chica has waited around all these years for this single moment of vindication.

That's one hell of a dedicated troll.

Perhaps tomorrow he'll have the courage to venture up the steps of his mothers basement and gaze upon the outside world.

Since 2008

Verlander

1st in Games Started

1st in Wins (10 over Weaver in 2nd place)

2nd in Innings Pitched (16 IP behind Felix Hernandez)

2nd in Strikeout (5 behind Felix Hernandez)

2nd in WPA/LI (behind Kershaw)

3rd in WAR (behind Kershaw and F. Hernandez)

8th in FIP (6th in Away FIP, only Sale and Hernandez better in AL)

Since 2008

Verlander

1st in Games Started

1st in Wins (10 over Weaver in 2nd place)

2nd in Innings Pitched (16 IP behind Felix Hernandez)

2nd in Strikeout (5 behind Felix Hernandez)

2nd in WPA/LI (behind Kershaw)

3rd in WAR (behind Kershaw and F. Hernandez)

8th in FIP (6th in Away FIP, only Sale and Hernandez better in AL)

I knew rebiv would respond.... Lol.... What about since 2012?

2010-2014 (5 years)

Wins
1. Verlander 87
2. Kershaw 85
3. Scherzer 82
4. Weaver 80
5. D. Price 78

Games Started
1. Shields 167
2. Verlander 166
3. F. Hernandez 165
3. C.J. Wilson 165
5. Kennedy 162

Innings Pitched
1. F. Hernandez 1155.6
2. Verlander 1138.0
3. Shields 1135.0
4. Kershaw 1099.6
5. D. Price 1078.0

Strikeouts
1. Kershaw 1160
2. F. Hernandez 1141
3. Verlander 1084
4. Scherzer 1081
5. D. Price 1032

2010-2014 (5 years)

Wins
1. Verlander 87
2. Kershaw 85
3. Scherzer 82
4. Weaver 80
5. D. Price 78

Games Started
1. Shields 167
2. Verlander 166
3. F. Hernandez 165
3. C.J. Wilson 165
5. Kennedy 162

Innings Pitched
1. F. Hernandez 1155.6
2. Verlander 1138.0
3. Shields 1135.0
4. Kershaw 1099.6
5. D. Price 1078.0

Strikeouts
1. Kershaw 1160
2. F. Hernandez 1141
3. Verlander 1084
4. Scherzer 1081
5. D. Price 1032

You should use your favorite stats...last 3 years away.

Back