Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

"I wish Verlander was a True Ace"

I must not be in the know to not understand what you just said. Can anyone translate that, please..

:ugh:

So I don't get why this thread was bumped?

Is it b/c Justin is no longer an ace, or he never was, or he is merely a pretender?

Despite a bit <2/3rds of the '13 season being over, it is still very premature to be implying one of the above about JV. He still is the Tigers ace until or if another Tigers SP can consistently pitch statistically better than him for several seasons...IMO.

Last edited:
So I don't get why this thread was bumped?

Is it b/c Justin is no longer an ace, or he never was, or he is merely a pretender?

Despite a bit <2/3rds of the '13 season being over, it is still very premature to be implying one of the above about JV. He still is the Tigers ace until or if another Tigers SP can consistently pitch statistically better than him for several seasons...IMO.

Its suppose to be fun. I can't bump a thread for fun? What's this world coming to, are we in Russia?

Fun??

after he got beat, bump it for fun??

Are you sure you didn't bump it because you think he sucks after a few games of an on and off year compared to the past few excellent/Great/OtherWorldly

and then after a couple of posts wondering why it was bumped you thought better of it and decided to call it Fun??????????

goodbye chica.2
when ya call me out for this, I will say it was just for Fun,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TVU-sjy5_4
THIS is for Fun.

You know little about me KC. I take nothing serious and whether its JV or Cabrera who struggle I don't suddenly get on their "they suck" bandwagon. They've earned that.

So before you get on your Soap box, think a little bit and move on..

You know little about me KC. I take nothing serious and whether its JV or Cabrera who struggle I don't suddenly get on their "they suck" bandwagon. They've earned that.

So before you get on your Soap box, think a little bit and move on..

and unless I had psychic abilities I wouldn't know anything about you,

I'm just saying if it bothers you that much, move on. No reason to assume you know what I'm thinking..

It's in black and white, and unless you say it's in fun, or why you did it on this thread in particular, people are going to look at it in black and white,

move on......You obviously know nothing about me.

It's in black and white, and unless you say it's in fun, or why you did it on this thread in particular, people are going to look at it in black and white,

move on......You obviously know nothing about me.

Enough to know that this: "Are you sure you didn't bump it because you think he sucks after a few games of an on and off year compared to the past few excellent/Great/OtherWorldly

and then after a couple of posts wondering why it was bumped you thought better of it and decided to call it Fun??????????"

Is an assumption.

Why do we still have this thread if it wasn't for fun? Or is it just to make fun of Chica? This thread has fun written all over it..

Enough to know that this: "Are you sure you didn't bump it because you think he sucks after a few games of an on and off year compared to the past few excellent/Great/OtherWorldly

and then after a couple of posts wondering why it was bumped you thought better of it and decided to call it Fun??????????"

Is an assumption.

Why do we still have this thread if it wasn't for fun? Or is it just to make fun of Chica? This thread has fun written all over it..

It was and has been fun,
But bumping it after another surprising start for JV, isn't in the spirit of fun, with so many hardcore Tigers fans here wondering wtf is going on with him.

It was and has been fun,
But bumping it after another surprising start for JV, isn't in the spirit of fun, with so many hardcore Tigers fans here wondering wtf is going on with him.

I doubt anyone is upset that I posted what I did..

"Mitch, wtf - I'm going to kill you".

I'm a hardcore fan as anyone else. But worrying about JV just gets you upset, I don't like getting upset - its baseball. Not life.

I don't think anybody is saying that JV isn't the best pitcher on this staff. What we are saying is he has NOT been pitching like an Ace this year. He has been slightly above average this year and getting paid like the best pitcher in baseball.

I don't think anybody is saying that JV isn't the best pitcher on this staff. What we are saying is he has NOT been pitching like an Ace this year. He has been slightly above average this year and getting paid like the best pitcher in baseball.

Yeah, Everyone except perhaps a handful of Tigers fans (not including the casual fans who jumped onto their bandwagon ca '06) and Verlander himself +Leyland are wondering why Justin "suddenly" has slipped from being uber-elite to becoming pedestrian @ best on the mound while offering only brief glimpses of his former dominance.

Most avid Tigers fans are justifiably concerned b/c THIS and most likely next season comprises the Tigers best window of opportunity for a WS championship. After '14 all bets are off b/c there will need to be at least some significant changes to their roster, since current Tigers such as Scherzer. Fister, Avila, Cabrera, Jackson, Porcello, Hunter, Martinez, Dirks, Peralta, and some of the Tiger BP corps, such as Benoit, Dotel. and...uhh...Coke will already be gone, on the verge of being gone if not resigned, and/or will need to be traded/replaced due to mediocre or worse performances...cough...Avila, Dirks....cough...

I am also aware that there are at least a few Tigers prospects toiling in the minors who will or may be ready to play FT in the majors by '14 or sooner, such as Castellanos and Garcia. But I don't follow the minors very closely and do not have access to VIP information and scouting reports on the Tigers prospects like some Tigers fans do, such as Mark Anderson (Microline133) who iis managing editor of the Tigerstown website.

But a (formerly) elite SP like Verlander is not so very easily replaced. Scherzer has stepped up and will likely continue to be the Tigers defacto ace SP for the team so far this season. Perhaps he, Sanchez. Fister, Porcello, and even Smyly can cover for Verlander's frequent failings(if it continues or especially worsens)

Control issues for a starter can be a season long thing, unfortunately. Look at Lincecum last year. Didn't get it going until playoff time...and even then the unfortunate hiatus of the Tigers bats in the WS skews those numbers.

JV definitely hasn't been the kind of pitcher he has been the past 3 seasons or so but his BABIP is the fourth worst in baseball....maybe not inducing enough groundballs but as a whole his FIP and XFIP are still top 30ish (which by no means is where he needs to be) but still solid. Not ace or equaling his pay however.

Tonight was vintage Verlander.

It was pretty good.

He's 12-8.

I was listening to this LA guy, Steve Hartman, who remembers everything, who was saying that both Tom Seaver and Jim Palmer had off years right around the the age the age Verlander is now, and they they both came back.

He speculated that it maybe was because of the number of innings they had recently pitched.

I came in in the middle of his discussion; I don't even think his comments were within the context of JV or not....

Back