Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Matt Shepard, Gibson, Morris Tigers' Broadcast Team. Shepard out, Jason Benetti in

There are reports that Bally Sports is getting ready to dump 2 more MLB teams' broadcasts - Guardians and Rangers. Further stories have them going belly up by the end of 2024 and not broadcasting any MLB teams. What does this mean for the Detroit Tigers?

We may have been given a clue with the news that the Tigers are picking up new broadcaster Jason Benetti's entire salary. Maybe they're looking to have a smooth transition when Bally goes belly up. But will the Tigers once again start exploring their own broadcast network.

Totally Tigers

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...-group-parent-company-bankruptcy/71608374007/
Bally Sports parent company likely to shut down in 2024; What it means for Detroit.
Freep

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/11/16/five-for-friday-92/
FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

Chris Ilitch, Ryan Gustafson and the new Front Office gave us an early Christmas present last week. They hired Jason Benetti to do the tv broadcast.

No more muting of fans? tvs.

However, in order to get the maximum value out of Benetti?s talent, the Tigers ? and Bally ? need to take further steps. This needs to be a completely different kind of broadcast. It?s not enough to simply insert a new play-by-play man. Everything else needs to complement and flow around him.

If you?re buying a top-of-the-line car, you?re not going to put cheap tires on it.

With that said, what 5 things (it?s Friday afterall) would I insist on either eliminating or adding to the tv broadcast?

I will admit that I have closer to 50 ? not 5 ? items on my wish list. Selecting the top 5 was very hard to do but here goes??.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/12/05/watercooler-wednesday-113/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

So far this off-season, the Detroit Tigers have made 3 significant acquistions. All 3 completely different in what they bring to the table.

One is an outfielder who can also play 1B and known to be an ?on-base machine.?

Another is a starting pitcher who controls the strike zone and strikes out at least 1 hitter per inning. A veteran, leader and mentor as well.

The other isn?t a player but instead, a play-by-play man who will be calling games for the Tigers this year. He?s also in the running for best broadcaster of the year.

If you could pick only one, who is your favorite and why?

Which one is going to bring you more joy in watching?

Which one is going to bring more value to the game for you?

Which of the new hires do you like the best?

1. Jason Benetti

2. Mark Canha

3. Kenta Maeda

VOTE

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/12/07/five-for-friday-94/
FIVE FOR FRIDAY.
Totally Tigers

We are just moving into Scott Harris? 2nd year with the Tigers after an introductory year of re-assessment. A necessary year to put the Tigers onto the right path of success but a boring one for fans.

Things are just starting to get interesting now. New and fresh ideas are being implemented to a degree now where fans are starting to see the differences.

What is becoming increasingly apparent is that all of these changes we?re seeing could never have been implemented by the 2 previous GMs. And to be honest, even to the GMs who came before them.

Dave Dombrowski is not the kind of guy who is brought into an organization to implement organization change or improve the franchise?s infrastructure. His focus with all his former teams was to supercharge the roster and win quickly.

With Al Avila, none of the changes being made now would have even been on his radar. And even if they were, he would never have known where to start. None of it was ever in his wheelhouse.

He got by because he relied upon the tanking strategy and top draft picks to guide him in making decisions. But he never had a big picture in mind of how the organization should function as a whole.

For example, Avila implemented a rudimentary analytics department but couldn?t integrate it into the organization so it became relatively useless. So how could he possibly solve the bigger and long-standing problems of this organization?

Most importantly, he fostered a corporate culture that prevented open discussion among Front Office personnel about how to address these problems. Change and constructive criticism were frowned upon which meant the Tigers would never find the solutions to their problems.

These points keep coming back to me bigger and stronger with every new story about how Scott Harris and his new Front Office are evolving this franchise.

So which new changes has Harris and Co. made so far that have been the most dramatic? The ones that have most significantly changed the direction of this team?

I?ve got my 5???

MLB in a court filing again re-emphasized that bankrupt Bally Sports Regional Networks needs to decide whether it is broadcasting in '24 the 11 MLB teams under contract--and by Dec 31. MLB and Bally have a settlement conference tom, and a court hearing is scheduled Friday

WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Monday marked the debut of Jason Benetti as the Detroit Tigers’ new tv broadcast play-by-play man. He replaced Matt Shepard who was not well-received by Tiger fans or by those who rank broadcasters.
Benetti came from the White Sox and is recognized as one of the game’s best announcers.
Yesterday’s game was broadcast on Bally, MLB.tv and nationally on the MLB Network.
For those of you who watched some or all of the game, how did Jason do?

How did Jason Benetti do in his first tv broadcast?

1. I enjoyed his work.

2. Not yet impressed but willing to give him time to adjust.

3. Not impressed.

VOTE

MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Today, it’s about quick hits – bits of news that catch my radar during the week as well as connecting the dots re ongoing stories. Even the quirky.
So let’s get to it! Here are the most interesting topics that hit my radar over the past week………..

WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Detroit Tigers’ new tv broadcaster, Jason Benetti, has now had the chance to work with all of the designated color commentary associates. That list includes Kirk Gibson, Todd Jones, Craig Monroe (C-Mo), Carlos Pena and Dan Petry.

Monroe was named as the primary partner for the tv broadcasts but considering that he and Benetti have not worked together formally until the season started, Bally Sports Detroit and the Tigers could potentially change things up next year depending upon their chemistry.

It’s unlikely that Gibson and Jones would get that job which leaves Monroe, Pena and Petry as potential partners with Benetti for next year.

Based upon what you’ve seen and heard, which of these candidates deserves to be the primary tv partner to Benetti?

Which former Tiger deserves to be the primary tv partner of Jason Benetti?

1. Craig Monroe

2. Carlos Pena

3. Dan Petry

VOTE

Back