Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mike Ilitch gone now Chris Ilitch possibly selling the Tigers?

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/05/18/the-clock-is-ticking/
THE CLOCK IS TICKING.
Totally Tigers

There?s been a rumor out there about A. J. Hinch ever since he was hired.
A rumor about his contract.

And, of course, the 2 major local papers never reported it.

But other national writers have.

First of all, there are lots of rumors out there. Some true, some not. And for me, the condition of reporting it must rely upon at least 2 highly-reputable sports journalists putting it in print.

Let?s just say that I had a lot of digging to do.

But now I can write about it.

First of all, Hinch has a 3-year contract with the team. (The organization refused to reveal that information.) It?s still unknown if there is an option year which gives the team the power to retain him.

But it also appears that A. J. is only the third manager in history to have an opt-out clause in his contract. Joe Maddon was the first, followed by Terry Francona, 10 and 6 years ago respectively.

And what does that clause say?

That Hinch can opt out of his contract if ?expectations are not met.?

that was a good read, but I'm not sure she is correct with all of her assumptions. We will see in a few weeks at the trade deadline.

Trading Schoop won't prove anything to me, since he will be a free agent at the end of the year.

Trading Boyd won't prove anything to me, because I don't think he is reliable.

Trading Turnbull is the one thing that might tell a story. If they trade him for prospects I will have huge question marks about "different visions". If they trade him for an an active major league position player it will tell me that are looking to build a real major league team next season.

that was a good read, but I'm not sure she is correct with all of her assumptions. We will see in a few weeks at the trade deadline.

Trading Schoop won't prove anything to me, since he will be a free agent at the end of the year.

Trading Turnbull is the one thing that might tell a story. If they trade him for prospects I will have huge question marks about "different visions". If they trade him for an an active major league position player it will tell me that are looking to build a real major league team next season.

You would think they likely move Boyd especially if Manning can manage to hang on for most of the year. Trading Tuenbull for anything but a solid bat would really turn me off and as you said leave some pretty huge questions about what the direction of the club is.

Not sure what Schoop would fetch...if the price is right I can see the motivation to make the move. I'd think the Tigers need to keep Grossman since their OF depth is pretty sad beyond him, Greene, Cameron, and Baddoo. Hill could be a nice piece to fill out a roster for years to come but I can't see him as an every day player.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boyd I trade for some silver dollar pancakes..

You would think they likely move Boyd especially if Manning can manage to hang on for most of the year. Trading Tuenbull for anything but a solid bat would really turn me off and as you said leave some pretty huge questions about what the direction of the club is.

Not sure what Schoop would fetch...if the price is right I can see the motivation to make the move. I'd think the Tigers need to keep Grossman since their OF depth is pretty sad beyond him, Greene, Cameron, and Baddoo. Hill could be a nice piece to fill out a roster for years to come but I can't see him as an every day player.

I agree. If Schoop keeps his power numbers up I think you could get a decent return out of him. If I were Al, I think I would approach him to see if he would want a 3-4 year contract before trading him. I don't think he would be very expensive and he is an above average player. He is the kind of player that the Tigers should be targeting in free agency over the next few years...not a stud but above average.

Boyd should be gone after next year anyway. No way they should offer him a contract when he becomes a free agent. If they don't trade him this year they should definitely try to move him next year at the deadline.

I wouldn't mind this rotation at the start of next season

Mize
Skubal
Manning
Turnbull
Boyd

Draft Leiter and the rotation in 2023

Mize
Skubal
Manning
Turnbull
Leiter

We tried hard to make a couple other moves. But I think as you saw how things developed the last day, a lot of star players were moved. Kind of became a perfect storm."Al Avila really said this again..It's pathetic now.

I imagine one day after he has sold the Tigers Christopher Illitch will get the real tour of a successful teams operations and he will later admit how inadequate his own operation was.. he will apologize and take his 10B and disappear.

Look, we all knew the Tigers were behind when it came to analytics and we have been told they were starting to catch up. But Haase calling it a ?culture shock? when he got here in 2020 is really not good?

Nobody claims to be modern baseball more and truly has zero idea what modern baseball is.. than Christopher Illitch.

One of my favorite parts of being a self proclaimed public analyst..is that telling Tigers truths..there is zero chance I will ever..and I mean ever..allow Ron Colangelo and the Tigers PR department to ever influence what I write or tweet..

The childish idea they can intimidate.. admonish or act punitively towards media members who they believe have wronged them..just makes me laugh..no sympathy, no empathy..and little if any understanding..cause when you suck for 6 years..and refuse to be forthright..that's your fate.

MGorosh

Last edited:
Not surprised that beat writers are ultra cautious after what happened to Anthony Fenech. Cody Stavenhagen also detailed the heat he took from Tigers front office folks after the recent article critical of Avila?s trade history in a recent podcast.

imagine if Joel Sherman one of the best in the business..had to deal with the nonsense Tigers PR tries to pull with diseenting opinions..somebody..any journalistic media outlet..grow a pair..and call out the years of thin skinned Putin caliber behavior.

again..I bust Chris often..but..know this..Chris McCcosky knows the real deal..he actually knows the real deal about most of the baseball issues..he just has decided to hide it..and write fluff..

Chris McCosky Q: Does that mean Tigers could be high-end shoppers on the free agent market this winter?
Chris Ilitch: A: ?Undoubtedly this could happen this winter." ...story up soon.

I bag on Christiopher Illitch everyday..today was a day for him to be emphatic, acknowledge the other wordly job his manager has done and issue a defacto madate to his GM who would have been fired had any other Manager and staff been hired last offseason..

Owning a Sports Franchise requires a moral obligation to a city..you cannot just reap the spoils of ascending franchise values and endless tax breaks without putting some skin into the game..when provided the chance to show some true leadership today..he HEDGED..he inferred maybe...

SELL THE TEAM..you can get close to 2B..why own it if you don't want to commit to doing whatever it takes to win..SELL..do the city a favor stop holding the fandom of the Detroit Tigers hostage..SELL..be a man..SELL.

Chris McCosky:
Christopher Ilitch today indicated the Tigers will likely be more aggressive in free agency this off season.

well WTF does that mean..does that mean we tried..does it mean I am willing to pay somebody 12M because the second highest paid player after Cabrera is 6M..ask a tough question Chris..its not hard and its part of the job description..

MGorosh

Jesus all Gorosh does is bitch like a guy not invited to the big game table.

Jesus all Gorosh does is bitch like a guy not invited to the big game table.

I don't know who the guy is...is he some random guy or a reporter?

He is annoying as hell though. I can't stand most of what he posts.

I don't know who the guy is...is he some random guy or a reporter?

He is annoying as hell though. I can't stand most of what he posts.

I remember that guy. He tweeted that CI would fire Avila and I responded that no other GM worth his sand would want to take Avila?s place, and further, Avila was the ideal GM for a guy like Ilitch bc he?d never challenge his miserly ways.

He strafed me as someone who ?knew nothing about baseball?

(I found what was left of the thread; I abandoned twitter last year)

Mgorosh says get vaccinated be a good human
@sportz5176

Jun 22, 2019
I figure somewhere between Aug 1 and Aug 10 will be when the Avila front office firing will take place .. my guess a list is already prepared of candidates ..

(I responded as stated above, his response below)

Mgorosh says get vaccinated be a good human
@sportz5176

let me be nice with this answer..you either did not attend UM..or you're not a real baeball (sic) person..ask somebody who is.

Within a few weeks, as I recall, CI extended AA?s contract. When I shoved that development in his face, he disappeared.

Last edited:
https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/10/13/patterns-dont-lie/
PATTERNS DON?T LIE.
Totally Tigers

I?m hearing the rumors about the Oakland A?s Billy Beane possibly becoming a new GM with another team. I?m also wondering whether hiring him will finally solve the decades-old dysfunction of NY?s second baseball team. The Mess, er, the Mets.

Don?t you ever wonder about teams that exhibit the same old patterns year after year? The same teams doing well, others wandering in the dark, the frequently scandal-ridden and those constantly mired in the mud? Or the ones that simply have a pulse and not much else?

Why is it that some organizations just keep their heads down and do their jobs the right way like the Cards? Or others, like the Angels, have players die and employees committing illegal acts? Yet others that allow a pervasive culture of sexual harassment to thrive?

Why are there patterns?

It all boils down to the corporate culture. It?s about leadership ? or the lack of it.

It?s about those who truly want to be the best and pay attention to the details. For others, the focus is on profits.

It?s about some teams being proactive ? and others being reactive.

The owners also serve as a huge influence. Look at those like George Steinbrenner. Look at the meddlesome owners who force their GMs to make unwise moves. Even consider how teams change dramatically, like the Baltimore Orioles, when they get new owners.

There are lots of factors at play. And when you have teams that consistently win year after year, teams should take note. More importantly, when organizations struggle year after year, they need to look inward. It?s the organization holding them back.

If you?re a baseball fan, you know what I?m talking about. Even when there is great fanfare attached to a certain team, you tell yourself that you?ll believe it when you see it. Expectations, for certain organizations, are ingrained.

So how would we break down all 30 MLB teams?

I?ve taken each of the organizations and assigned them to 7 different categories that describe the perception of their overall corporate culture. It helps to explain their performance, esp. when they often spend lots of money and get little to show for it.

It?s not all about the talent on the field. What it is about is how well the organization runs overall and the expectations that are set from above.

What I?ve used in my analysis is recent history going back approximately 10 years. Sometimes more. I?ve gone through their win-loss records for each year. And I don?t just analyze the past year. It?s about more than that. We?re looking at patterns.

I also look at what is going on behind the scenes. Where are the problems? Why are they in the news?

I?ve taken into account teams that were purposely rebuilding and having some bad years, but have bounced back nicely when the rebuild was complete.

I have also defined each of the categories to give you an idea of the pattern seen for each of the teams sitting together. Each category is ranked from best to worst.

Ready?

Back