Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mike Ilitch gone now Chris Ilitch possibly selling the Tigers?

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2021/11/17/back-to-the-future-part-four/
BACK TO THE FUTURE ? PART FOUR.
Totally Tigers

Today, let?s conclude the discussion that helps explain the Tigers? rebuild and sheds more light about what may be expected down the road.

We want to know exactly how all of this is going to play out. We want to know about the team?s priorities, timeline and when that championship roster will finally be completed.

We want to know when the Tigers will be contending again.

We wonder why it took so long to finally hire a competent manager who could effectively harness the talent he was given. And why it has taken so long to start saying ?buh-bye? to members of the decades-old clique.

In Parts One and Two, we started to get some logical explanations. I wrote about the need to go back in time and analyze the ownership under both Mike Ilitch and his son, Chris.

In Part Three, we looked at Dave Dombrowski?s legacy and the early years of Al Avila?s reign as his successor.

If you didn?t read them ? or need to review the issues ? here they are again because it?s important to know both owners and their GMs in order to help us understand why the present and future are playing out in the manner that they are.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/locke...king-the-al-central-coaching-staffs-200888652
Locked On Detroit Tigers Podcast: Chris Illitch + Mini Camp Games + Casey Mize + Ranking the AL Central Coaching Staffs. 37 minutes.

Today we discuss Chris Illitch and some news that came to light about his role in the lockout, then we talk about the standouts in Mini Camp so far, as well as some comments made by Casey Mize. We finish by discussing where the Detroit Tigers coaching staff and manager rank amongst other teams in the AL Central.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2022/03/15/watercooler-wednesday-29/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Today, another opportunity for readers to discuss the hottest topics in a forum where thoughtful dialog and a variety of opinions are welcomed.

Let?s create some running conversational threads. And for those of you still going into offices, here?s a question to take with you ? or use via Zoom calls ? as you talk to your co-workers.

Here is today?s hot topic.
It was the tweet heard ?round the world. If you are following Totally Tigers on Twitter, you know about it.

TT?s tweet generated so many comments, re-tweets and ?likes? that Twitter sent me a notice saying that Twitter was blowing up over it. And since then, the discussion surrounding this revelation has moved to several national baseball media platforms.

Several days ago, I posted details of a conversation I heard on MLB Radio.
One of the hosts mentioned that he had several sources who told him that both Al Avila and A. J. Hinch wanted to sign Carlos Correa but that Chris Ilitch nixed the deal.

It is well-known that Correa was looking for a 10-year contract and money similar to what Francisco Lindor got ? $340 million.

The Tigers did make Correa an offer but it was under $300 mill. And it was turned down. (For the record, it was reported awhile back that the Tigers made Correa an offer but left out the details posted in TT?s recent tweet.)

Tiger fans certainly have experience with players who are signed to expensive, lengthy contracts. Most, if not all, haven?t ended up well.

There are a few questions surrounding Correa?s long-term health, esp. the history of his lower back. He has gone through 3 agents in just over 1 year.
He now remains with Scott Boras.

Five months since his free agency became official, Correa has yet to find a new team. Part of that time has been frozen because of the CBA negotiations.

But the reason why Twitter was blowing up over TT?s tweet was primarily because of the Tigers? owner. The majority of fans are concerned over the perceived unwillingness to spend big money on high profile free agents.

What do you think?

Should Ilitch have agreed to another very expensive long-term contract after the Tigers? record of offering them under his father?s tenure?

Or did Ilitch show restraint and common sense by avoiding tying the team down with a contract that would probably become burdensome?
Why do you think Chris Ilitch nixed the signing of Carlos Correa?

1. He won't spend what it takes to create a winning team.

2. It was a risky move that hasn't worked out well in the past.

Vote.

This was the question to Ilitch: "Did you actually object to raising the CBT at any point, and if so what was your rationale?

Chris Ilitch pointed toward the Tigers' free-agent additions as further evidence of his view on the CBT subject.

"I think if you add it all up it's pretty clear where I stand on this issue, and my record is very clear in terms of how I voted and what I voted for."

Chris Ilitch was asked again if he had ever voted against raising the CBT.

"Never. To be frank, there wasn?t a vote before. There?s only been one vote throughout this entire process and it was 30 to nothing.

The Athletic's initial report stated Ilitch and three other owners "objected to raising the competitive balance tax" on an owner-wide call.

Thanks for asking the question Cody. My stance he?s lying about this just like he?s lied about The District Detroit.

The report was not that he cast a ?vote against? raising the tax but that he ?opposed? raising it, which of course he does not deny.

This is my problem with this. Yes there was never a vote so he?s not lying but he?s sure as hell not going to admit his push to not have a vote because he knew it would be official so instead he undermined the whole thing like a little weasel.

Is anyone really stunned. He has continually LIED to both Tigers and Red Wings fans and has cheated the city of Detroit out of MILLIONS, here?s my question Chris where is District Detroit? Where are all the affordable homes and properties? Or is it just overpriced car parks?

Cody Stavenhagen The Athletic

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...opher-ilitch-vote-luxury-tax-hike/7140843001/
Tigers CEO Christopher Ilitch sets record straight: He never voted against luxury tax hike.
Detnews

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/...-lockout-negotiations-2022-season/7140353001/
Detroit Tigers owner Christopher Ilitch talks lockout, CBA: 'Out of our control'.
Freep

https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2022/0...report-that-he-opposed-deal-with-players.html
Tigers owner disputes report that he opposed deal with players.
Mlive

Back