Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

I think we'll go 4 for 4 now

3 for 3 this weekend, and I was most confident about Jones.

After today, I still think we have 1 or 2 silent commits. Corley and maybe Lavert Hill. It's the #6 class now, it won't finish that high, but it has a decent shot to be top 10, I'd guess it ends up at #12 or so though. Still, this is fun to see and makes the off season more interesting.

heck of a job by ron burton, he's a great recruiter and an asset. We're getting top IL talent early in the process, these guys were all green all the way. King wanted to commit weeks ago but waited for robertson so they could time it together, mike Panasiuk's recruitment was over as soon as MSU offered, Robertson was sure for a long time, he even taped an interview on his commitment with rivals weeks before sunday. we're getting good players but now we're getting them early, the second place for these guys were way, way back.

Also, MD and Brian Kelly are both good coaches but kids are lining up to play for MD, at ND, people go to ND despite Kelly. these IL/IN kids used to go to ND, now they're lining up for us

Scout redid their top 300 today, big bumps for Jones and Vance. MSU has #2 class overall right now. We won't stay there, but I think top 10 is attainable.

ESPN is redoing their rankings next week so that should straighten out some things in the composite. 8 4 stars according to rivals, 7 according to 247 and Rivals.

Last edited:
Scout redid their top 300 today, big bumps for Jones and Vance. MSU has #2 class overall right now. We won't stay there, but I think top 10 is attainable.

ESPN is redoing their rankings next week so that should straighten out some things in the composite. 8 4 stars according to rivals, 7 according to 247 and Rivals.

top 10 is best case scenario, most likely 10-15. usually we have a low amount of commits at this point and then add these kids later to bump us up to around 20.

FL 3 star LB Alexy Jean-Baptiste is visiting MSU Monday where he plans to commit. This likely means we won't be taking Brandon Randle.

Typical MSU LB recruit, needs to put on some weight at 6-3, 205, but runs like a defensive back.

Last edited:

When you see "bama" with no 5 star guys committed as of yet you know things will change. MD with a top 10 class and 5 games deep has the chance to beat anyone. With Swanigan we had the hope of Big ten Championships in both sports. Fact is if we didnt pull another 3 star we would end up top 15-20 right now.

When you see "bama" with no 5 star guys committed as of yet you know things will change. MD with a top 10 class and 5 games deep has the chance to beat anyone. With Swanigan we had the hope of Big ten Championships in both sports. Fact is if we didnt pull another 3 star we would end up top 15-20 right now.

We have 7-9 4 stars right now, we'll get at least 3-4 more. If I had to guess, we'll end up with the #12 class.

those guys tend to wait longer though

I think there is a lot of mutual respect between the two programs. Obviously OSU fans like Dantonio because he was a defensive coordinator there when they won the National Championship. It was hard watching OSUs offense look unstoppable in East Lansing last year, but other than that game I was pulling for them to win the National Championship just to get the monkey off the Big Tens back and to prove that the SEC is not that great. Although Urban can at times be unlikable, he's a hell of a coach and you can't help but respect that.

Going to be a hell of a game this year! Is it football season yet??

Alexy Jean-Baptiste says the staff informed him not to take the trip. They are full at his position. Not sure if that means Randle is a silent commit or they aren't taking any more LBs.

I think there is a lot of mutual respect between the two programs. Obviously OSU fans like Dantonio because he was a defensive coordinator there when they won the National Championship. It was hard watching OSUs offense look unstoppable in East Lansing last year, but other than that game I was pulling for them to win the National Championship just to get the monkey off the Big Tens back and to prove that the SEC is not that great. Although Urban can at times be unlikable, he's a hell of a coach and you can't help but respect that.

Going to be a hell of a game this year! Is it football season yet??

just bought tickets for the game in columbus

I think the author used a bit of a backhanded compliment. "short term" Well, its been 5 straight years of solid foootball and momentum is still on the up and up.

That crossed my mind as well. Given recent history and with this class, Spartans are primed to be the top contender for more than the short term, it seems to me. Kids need to develop, obviously, but Dantonio has a track record.

2016 DE/LB Xavier Kelly told people that MSU is his leader, he's not deciding until January.

Top 100 player, weighed in at 230 lbs at 6-5 in his last camp and ran a laser times 4.55. Oklahoma and Nebraska are the biggest competition for him.

Back