Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Sandoval was not even that good this year. Sure he seems to show up in the post season, but so did Delmon and Inge. And why is he even in the discussion? The last thing the Tigers need is another soon to be DH type player, who is likely going to want around 12-15 per.

Sandoval was not even that good this year. Sure he seems to show up in the post season, but so did Delmon and Inge. And why is he even in the discussion? The last thing the Tigers need is another soon to be DH type player, who is likely going to want around 12-15 per.

Maybe it's the thin FA pool and maybe it's just message board conversation. Makes no difference to me one way or another.

Another poster was referring to Pence being money as a player and teammate, despite not being a 'star' player and I said Sandoval was of the same mold. That's how he's in the conversation. You'll have a hard time fetching any comment made about offering him a contract.

I agree.

The Cubs are loaded with great prospects ready to hit the show. He would be perfect as he has a proven track record with elite prospects. Cubs are gonna be real good in a couple of years. Additionally, their GM is all about sabermetrics.

What about the A's. Melvin can't seem to get over the hump?
Looks like I got this one right.

He hasn't been good for the last 3 or so years.

MLB 3B Last 3 Years Away

Sandoval 19th in OPS

Sandoval 21st in wOBA

Sandoval 21st in wRC+

Sandoval 23rd in BB%

Defense Last 3 Years

Sandoval 19th in UZR/150

Sandoval 22nd in DRS

At least with Pence, you have a top 10 RF that can play at least average defense. But, IMHO, both are "free swinger" types that would just add to the organizational mindset.

Two cheaper options now available for the BP. Craig Breslow and Mike Adams both had thier options declined. Both certainly are low risk high reward candidates on one year deals.

Last edited:
Not surprising. He was too much of a "what if" to hold a roster spot.

I think it was more injury-related combined with the emergence of JD. A healthy Dirks would not have been waived.

I think it was more injury-related combined with the emergence of JD. A healthy Dirks would not have been waived.

My point is he was so rarely healthy you could never make an accurate analysis of his actual skills. Now that he has supposedly recovered the Tigers finally cut him, I think that's more telling than anything.

Everyone was assuming he would make a decent platoon partner with Davis, but who knows if he can actually out-hit Don Kelly. He did pretty well in very limited time in 2012, but has done poorly every other time. I don't know that you can blame all of it on injuries either.

Something tells me that this Wynton Bernard kid is going to make the jump from High-A to Tigers starting CF. They put him on the 40 for a reason.

Something tells me that this Wynton Bernard kid is going to make the jump from High-A to Tigers starting CF. They put him on the 40 for a reason.

A 24-year old who hasn't made it past A ball is going to be the starting CFer next year?

If true, it absolutely a dumb move.

Wynton is the first to get protected from the Rule-5 Draft. He still has a ways to go in his development.

My point is he was so rarely healthy you could never make an accurate analysis of his actual skills. Now that he has supposedly recovered the Tigers finally cut him, I think that's more telling than anything.

Everyone was assuming he would make a decent platoon partner with Davis, but who knows if he can actually out-hit Don Kelly. He did pretty well in very limited time in 2012, but has done poorly every other time. I don't know that you can blame all of it on injuries either.

You can disagree with DD but I found this: Dirks, meanwhile, was made available on waivers — and was claimed by Toronto — because the Tigers still couldn't trust he'd be 100 percent next year. "We wouldn't have let him go if we knew he would be," said Tigers' president and general manager Dave Dombrowski. "It wasn't an arbitration thing, or a contract thing, it was his health."

Last edited:
Wynton Bernard was just drafted just a couple years ago, so A ball was about right. But its still a long jump to ML CF.

Back