Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Last 3 years Away (208 players with at least 550 PA)

2. M. Cabrera .941 OPS

11. V. Martinez .883 OPS

23. H. Ramirez .837 OPS

24. G. Stanton .832 OPS

27. P. Fielder .825 OPS

29. M. Byrd .823 OPS

45. A. Gordon .800 OPS

49. B. Zobrist .792 OPS

51. C. Headley .791 OPS

57. M. Joyce .783 OPS

63. T. Hunter .778 OPS

65. J.D. Martinez .777 OPS

67. A. Rios .776 OPS

71. A. LaRoche .772 OPS

73. Seth Smith .769 OPS

75. C. Granderson .766 OPS

77. C. Rasmus .764 OPS

79. B. Butler .763 OPS

92. A. Pagan .750 OPS

93. B. Gardner .750 OPS

118. N. Markakis .733 OPS

124. P. Sandoval .731 OPS

127. A. Jackson .729 OPS

141. J. Peralta .711 OPS

146. O. Infante .707 OPS

147. N. Aoki .706 OPS

149. B. Phillips .703 OPS

155. I. Kinsler .693 OPS

161. A. Avila .684 OPS

179. R. Davis .666 OPS

183. D. Span .658 OPS

203. E. Bonifacio .603 OPS

The list is of Tigers, Ex-Tigers and those recently mentioned as possibilities as Tigers from this forum.

Last edited:
I have no idea why you posted that. Those are all everyday players and Bonifacio is not a topic of mine for everyday use. He's also not a topic of mine for coming here. I already stated it's unlikely he comes here, by either our choice or his.

All I mentioned is he would make a better choice for Kelly's job, if he chose to sign for a part-time job at a low wage.

Last edited:
Tony Paul is predicting that we'll lose Max and Torii, but land VMart, Shields, and Aoki...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...top-major-league-free-agents-second/18432629/

I think we'd be in pretty good shape if we had an opening day roster of: Miggy (1B), Kinsler (2B), Iggy (SS), Nick (3B), Avila (C), VMart (DH), JD (LF), Davis (CF), Aoki (RF), a rotation of Price, JV, Sanchez, Shields, and Porcello, and a BP core of Soria, Nathan, and Rondon. There are definitely some holes that I'd like to see fixed, but I'm still expecting DD to swing a trade somewhere.

I shudder at the notion of Avila back of the plate next season. The guy needs to retire or learn a new position.

I shudder at the notion of Avila back of the plate next season. The guy needs to retire or learn a new position.

I hear you on that. I'm hoping that McCann sees at least 50% of the time next year. Heck, I've been saying the same for a few years now with Laird and Pena in particular.

BTW, wasn't Alex a 3B in college? He's still very young, but Nicky Stonehands doesn't seem long for 3B. I'm thinking that he'll need to go back to corner OF.

Be careful what you wish for. He is a very good defensive catcher. He also is a very good game manager and frames pitches extremely well. Anything he gives you offensively is a bonus.

Be careful what you wish for. He is a very good defensive catcher. He also is a very good game manager and frames pitches extremely well. Anything he gives you offensively is a bonus.

I agree with you 100%. But you're fighting an uphill battle. Remember, chicks dig the long ball.

I'm more concerned about his ability to remember the names of his grand-kids than his ability to block pitches with his face.

Tony Paul is predicting that we'll lose Max and Torii, but land VMart, Shields, and Aoki...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...top-major-league-free-agents-second/18432629/

I think we'd be in pretty good shape if we had an opening day roster of: Miggy (1B), Kinsler (2B), Iggy (SS), Nick (3B), Avila (C), VMart (DH), JD (LF), Davis (CF), Aoki (RF), a rotation of Price, JV, Sanchez, Shields, and Porcello, and a BP core of Soria, Nathan, and Rondon. There are definitely some holes that I'd like to see fixed, but I'm still expecting DD to swing a trade somewhere.

So they are going to add the following

VMart 4 years $50M, $12.5M per season
Sheilds 5 years $90M, $18M per season
Aoki 3 years $19M, $6.3M per season

JV, Miggy, Sanchez, kinsler, Natan, Davis, Soria & Avila = $110M

Estimates for arb

Price, Rick, JD, AL = $35M

up to $145M

3 free agents + $37M = $182M

So, 15 players for $182M

Here are the positions that would be "filled"

C
1B
DH
2B
3B (not included in $182M)
1/2 of RF
LF

5 SP
3 RP

Still need

SS (hopefully Iggy at $1.7M)
CF
1/2 of LF
3 or 4 relief pitchers.

This doesn't seem like a good plan.

The problem is here is that Tony Paul is a fucking moron. Always has been. Does everyone remember when he said the season was lost if we didn't sign Drew?

Last edited:
The problem is here is that Tony Paul is a fucking moron. Always has been. Does everyone remember when he said the season was lost if we didn't sign Drew?

Anyone can be wrong and not be a moron. I don't think he's a moron. And I only remember Paul recommending signing Drew. Nothing about a "lost season" if the Tigers didn't. That Drew was an absolute bust this season makes me glad they didn't sign him, but who knew that was coming?

Paul has always been a moron, that was just the first example I could think of off the top of my head. He's also an ass, especially on twitter. When people disagree with him, he goes "shut up, I'm a beat writer, I know more than you do."

Last edited:
Paul has always been a moron, that was just the first example I could think of off the top of my head. He's also an ass, especially on twitter. When people disagree with him, he goes "shut up, I'm a beat writer, I know more than you do."

They all do that.

I'm more concerned about his ability to remember the names of his grand-kids than his ability to block pitches with his face.
That's why they get paid the big bucks

Only the asshole ones. Never seen guys like Iott or Mowrey do that. Henning and Paul do, and theyre assholes. Paul is a moron to boot. Henning at least sometimes has decent insights.

He also wrote in an earlier article that they should trade Price for Matt Kemp and play him in CF. I usually like the stuff he writes but there has been some pretty bad ideas he has had

Only the asshole ones. Never seen guys like Iott or Mowrey do that. Henning and Paul do, and theyre assholes. Paul is a moron to boot. Henning at least sometimes has decent insights.

We disagree on Henning, who I think is like the proverbial broken clock--except it has no hands. He thinks every Tigers' draft pick is bound for Cooperstown on the first ballot.

Last edited:
I think Aoki is the least likely to happen out of the three he predicts. I definitely think that we'll pursue VMart and make him a very strong offer. Somebody else may come in and make him a stupid offer to cause him to leave though. I'd say 100% we'll make a competitive offer and 75% chance he's back here. Shields is probably 75% that we'll kick the tires, 50% that we'll make him a strong offer, and 25% that he comes here. I'd put Aoki at 50% we kick the tires, 25% that we make him a strong offer, and 10% that he comes here.

Retire would be the only option. He has 0 value unless he is behind the plate.

The offense and walk rate he provides are acceptable for a catcher with his skills, but would not be anywhere else except maybe SS, and I doubt you will see him trying to make that transition.

Tony Paul is also a troll on twitter. Problems I have with the detnews are henning and paul.
Tom Gage seems ok enough for me.....and they the detnews always are changing the original time stamp on their Tigers stories. Probably the writers for the Lions, etc. do the same.
It sucks and it's imo childish/stupid. Same story with a 12 hour later time stamp and heading so I/we think it's new. I caught on awhile ago. None of the freep or Mlive or the Tigers site, or any Tigers blogger do that.
I asked Paul about it and he gave me a wise ass answer.

As for Victor, if he does get 4 years, it's imo more in the 60 to 70 Million range.

Tigers will miss the boat, but getting Martin to catch 3 years with an option for 4th, would help with them most likely keeping Avila.

Last edited:
Back