Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

I have no idea why, but I am very optimistic about this offseason. I think the Tigers are gonna improve the current areas of need. DD doesn't say much, but he basically said that at his presser regarding the pen, CF, and a lefty bat.

If we can bring back Victor, pick up Soria's option (setup guy / closer), sign Andrew Miller (to replace Joba), and figure out a good upgrade for CF (Span? He's a LHB CF, good hitter, decent defender, and fast), we should be in good shape.

Getting Iggy, Rondon, and Dirks back from injury will give us more depth if nothing else (Iggy starts and improves the O/D/speed over Romine, Romine replaces DKB on the bench, Rondon is the missing fireballer from the pen, and Dirks could possibly platoon w/ Rajai). It also won't hurt having a full year of Soria, Price (replaces Scherzer most likely), and having Miggy & JV healthier (hopefully, though Miggy may get ankle surgery for bone spurs).

All of that stuff above would be fairly predictable and not a huge splash, but it'd make this team much more solid.

I still think DD has a big surprise up his sleeve in the form of a trade at the Winter Meetings, or possibly bringing back Scherzer when we all expect him to go elsewhere and cite the budget.

Neither Dirks or Iggy are VMart @ the plate, and it took Victor several months in '13 to finally shake off the nearly yearlong rust. Both have injury issues that have plagued them for (in Andy's case...MUCH) longer as well, not to mention the defensive positions that they play, esp. in Iggy's case @ SS.

I am not counting on either to make it back to FT performances next year...that is...IF either or both will even make the ML roster after ST.

Last edited:
I have no idea why, but I am very optimistic about this offseason. I think the Tigers are gonna improve the current areas of need. DD doesn't say much, but he basically said that at his presser regarding the pen, CF, and a lefty bat.

If we can bring back Victor, pick up Soria's option (setup guy / closer), sign Andrew Miller (to replace Joba), and figure out a good upgrade for CF (Span? He's a LHB CF, good hitter, decent defender, and fast), we should be in good shape.

Getting Iggy, Rondon, and Dirks back from injury will give us more depth if nothing else (Iggy starts and improves the O/D/speed over Romine, Romine replaces DKB on the bench, Rondon is the missing fireballer from the pen, and Dirks could possibly platoon w/ Rajai). It also won't hurt having a full year of Soria, Price (replaces Scherzer most likely), and having Miggy & JV healthier (hopefully, though Miggy may get ankle surgery for bone spurs).

All of that stuff above would be fairly predictable and not a huge splash, but it'd make this team much more solid.

I still think DD has a big surprise up his sleeve in the form of a trade at the Winter Meetings, or possibly bringing back Scherzer when we all expect him to go elsewhere and cite the budget.

Span is anything but what you describe for offense.

Last 3 years away (UZR/150 last 3 years)

D. Span 83 wRC+ .658 OPS .292 wOBA (4.4 UZR/150)

R. Davis 85 wRC+ .666 OPS .295 wOBA (-6.9 UZR/150)

So, basically you have a CFer with worse offense than Rajai Davis, who can play better defense. Pass. I want a bona fide leadoff hitter or at least someone who can hit. I would even take Chris Young over Span, especially if the argument came down to improving OF defense.

C. Young 102 wRC+ .734 OPS .322 wOBA (3.1 UZR/150)

Additionally, injuries are a part of baseball. People fail to realize how fortunate DET truly was in regards to injuries from 2011-2013. In 2014, we got our fair share, but still not as crippling as other teams.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...f-each-mlb-teams-regular-season-injury-impact

You cannot say that having player x, y or z back will help. Because you may loss player a, b, or c instead.

Without Victor, truly the only offensive player proven that can carry this team is Miguel. That's it. I do not see anyone else who has shown year after year that they can do that. What happens if Miguel goes down? Now what? Especially if you spend all your money and resources addressing the pen and getting mediocre CFers?

Last edited:
Without Victor, truly the only offensive player proven that can carry this team is Miguel. That's it. I do not see anyone else you has shown year after year that they can do that. What happens if Miguel goes down? Now what? Especially if you spend all your money and resources addressing the pen and getting mediocre CFers?

Are you saying you would rather ignore the bullpen and defense, in favor of adding more offense?

Are you saying you would rather ignore the bullpen and defense, in favor of adding more offense?

You actually think one or two moves will fix the bullpen? I don't.

Defense can be addressed with the right person. Span isn't the one.

If your going to get a CFer, get one that gets on base and can hit at the top of the order.

You actually think one or two moves will fix the bullpen? I don't.

Defense can be addressed with the right person. Span isn't the one.

If your going to get a CFer, get one that gets on base and can hit at the top of the order.
Markakis would fit well, once they moved him to leadoff, he got it going. I cant see him leaving the o's.

Read an article out of Atlanta today about the Braves. Both Heyward and Justin Upton are entering their contract years next year. They may look to extend one this year and trade the other. It so happens Atlanta is about 30 minutes from David Price's home town, braves were also interested in trading for him before the price got too high.

A possible Price for Upton/Heyward deal makes a lot of sense.

Read an article out of Atlanta today about the Braves. Both Heyward and Justin Upton are entering their contract years next year. They may look to extend one this year and trade the other. It so happens Atlanta is about 30 minutes from David Price's home town, braves were also interested in trading for him before the price got too high.

A possible Price for Upton/Heyward deal makes a lot of sense.

It would be dumb to trade Price for guys who are going to be free agents at the same time as him. What is the gain?

It would be dumb to trade Price for guys who are going to be free agents at the same time as him. What is the gain?
The thought with the proposal is which ever player the Tigers are getting (most likely Heyward) would be extended with Detroit.

Not smart to extend any of them since they'd want lots of money. We have a core of stars, we need cheap-to-moderately-paid complimentary pieces. If we trade Price, Sanchez, or even Kinsler, it wont be a 1-for-1, we'll get a package back.

Not smart to extend any of them since they'd want lots of money. We have a core of stars, we need cheap-to-moderately-paid complimentary pieces. If we trade Price, Sanchez, or even Kinsler, it wont be a 1-for-1, we'll get a package back.
We have a core of aging overpaid stars. If we had a chance to get Heyward and lock him up for 5 or 6 years id do it in a heartbeat. Remember he just turned 25 a month ago.

Last edited:
Jason is such a bargain for ATL in 2015. I sure wouldn't trade that cheap salary. Braves will probably do like the Tigers.... grab the extra draft pick for 2016..... provided he shows more of his 2012, than 2014.

A-lot of power pitchers and power hitters have declined to varying degrees since Opening Day 2013, when PED testing advanced significantly to catch cheaters. Not saying who may be in that group, of if even Heyward is one of the many players that needed to get off specific boosters.

But there are a host of players that suddenly went power-south to varying degrees AT THE SAME TIME. Markakis, Heyward, Verlander......etc....etc... many more.

Remember Dombrowski stating the Tigers are moving into better defense and better pitching last winter? I think we all know why MLB is moving in that direction and power across MLB continues to fall, regarding it's most powerful players.

Personally speaking, I want PEDs reinstated. I love offense and I love seeing starters increase power-pitching in their early-mid careers.......... not go in reverse. I want to see thee players with over 60 homers again. The heck with those boring pitching duels.

We have a core of aging overpaid stars. If we had a chance to get Heyward and lock him up for 5 or 6 years id do it in a heartbeat. Remember he just turned 25 a month ago.

Wait....you're complaining about overpaid stars, yet you want to lock up a guy for 5 or 6 years who's power numbers and OPS have been steadily falling?

Personally speaking, I want PEDs reinstated. I love offense and I love seeing starters increase power-pitching in their early-mid careers.......... not go in reverse. I want to see thee players with over 60 homers again. The heck with those boring pitching duels.

So you want to encourage drug abuse so you can see more offense? Thats fucked up.

So you want to encourage drug abuse so you can see more offense? Thats fucked up.

Yep. Great message to pass on to young kids too, you want to be like your hero baseball players? Then start taking HgH and Andro right away.

Majorly fucked up.

I read this as being tongue in cheek.

Also something can't be reinstated that has never been instated.

Back