Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

It probably is. DD came out tonight and said it was not true and he has no idea who told Olney that.

(It was probably that fucking assclown Boras. I wish he'd get banned from MLB)

I think DD will pull off another block buster that will make us the favorites

I hope so, but damn, who are we going to get to make a big enough impact, without losing just as much in the process?

I'd like to see Castellanos, Kinsler, possibly Nathan an Porcello/Price in a deal that lands us a solid corner OF (not a god just someone competent) an average bullpen arm, and a defensive 3B or 2B that can put up a .700 ops or better all season long.

Goes without saying I'd hope for them all to be young and cheap.

I hope so, but damn, who are we going to get to make a big enough impact, without losing just as much in the process?

I'd like to see Castellanos, Kinsler, possibly Nathan an Porcello/Price in a deal that lands us a solid corner OF (not a god just someone competent) an average bullpen arm, and a defensive 3B or 2B that can put up a .700 ops or better all season long.

Goes without saying I'd hope for them all to be young and cheap.

I don't or wouldn't mind trading Castellanos / Kinsler for some of that. But Price or Porcello for a competent OF, .700 OPS 3B and a BP is not enough. Not IMO. .850 OPS sure..

Price and or RP should get us really good players in return.

I don't or wouldn't mind trading Castellanos / Kinsler for some of that. But Price or Porcello for a competent OF, .700 OPS 3B and a BP is not enough. Not IMO. .850 OPS sure..

Price and or RP should get us really good players in return.

Where are you going to find one?

Not a single 2B put up an .850 OPS last year.

And only 1 3B, Adrian Beltre who is old.

8 outfielders had .850 or better OPS last year, and the only one we have a shot at landing is Kemp.

DD is on MLB Network right now just wrap up, got in on the tail end and said Tigers are not talking to Scherzer. Tigers have 5 pitcher that can start right now.

Where are you going to find one?

Not a single 2B put up an .850 OPS last year.

And only 1 3B, Adrian Beltre who is old.

8 outfielders had .850 or better OPS last year, and the only one we have a shot at landing is Kemp.

I know we won't find one but we shouldn't settle for less just to make a trade..Price and RP are worth more..

Scherzer might not get a 144 million deal now? Wonder if the phone is ringing. He where and who got the money?

DD is on MLB Network right now just wrap up, got in on the tail end and said Tigers are not talking to Scherzer. Tigers have 5 pitcher that can start right now.

While I hope this is true, I don't believe anything that comes out of DD's mouth at all when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I know we won't find one but we shouldn't settle for less just to make a trade..Price and RP are worth more..

They are 1 year rentals. Not to mention the scenario I was suggesting was also helping us dump Kinsler and his abomination of a salary.

I can see someone giving Scherzer 170+ now. Hope the tigers aren't dumb enough to do it

They are 1 year rentals. Not to mention the scenario I was suggesting was also helping us dump Kinsler and his abomination of a salary.

Dumping Kinsler probably means getting a big contract back. Personally I'd take young prospects for Price even though with prospects you just never know what you're going to get..I think we could resign RP for a reasonable deal..

I still don't see the Scherzer market developing. I know that Lester was the bottleneck to things happening, but it's pretty clear that the Cubs significantly overpaid for him. ESPN said this morning their offer was $20mil over the next best one from the Red Sox, which would put it in the area of what we originally offered Scherzer at. Basically, it's looking like our offer was fair, and pretty much market value unless somebody goes nuts and decides to overpay significantly. There are still other fall back options out there like Shields for less years/$$$ or potentially even Hamels via trade. I'm just not seeing an obvious landing spot for Max at the years and dollars he thinks he'll get.

I still don't see the Scherzer market developing. I know that Lester was the bottleneck to things happening, but it's pretty clear that the Cubs significantly overpaid for him. ESPN said this morning their offer was $20mil over the next best one from the Red Sox, which would put it in the area of what we originally offered Scherzer at. Basically, it's looking like our offer was fair, and pretty much market value unless somebody goes nuts and decides to overpay significantly. There are still other fall back options out there like Shields for less years/$$$ or potentially even Hamels via trade. I'm just not seeing an obvious landing spot for Max at the years and dollars he thinks he'll get.

Giants were @ 6 years and 150 mill, Bosox as 6 @ 135 LAD unknown. However Ken R on Mlb Network says all 4 teams had some kind of offer of 150 or better. Not sure how that all fits together?

Scherzer will get more than the Tigers offered. The best one from the sox was probably a little low ball since it was out there that Lester would go there for less. Of course...that backfired (if the $135M is true)

Scherzer will get more than his offer from the Tigers and most likely will get more than Lester.

Giants were @ 6 years and 150 mill, Bosox as 6 @ 135 LAD unknown. However Ken R on Mlb Network says all 4 teams had some kind of offer of 150 or better. Not sure how that all fits together?

Taking that as fact (who really knows?), I can't see anybody coming in with another 2yrs and $50mil beyond the Lester deal to sign Max, can you? He's not a $30mil/yr pitcher, and I'd say he's probably not even a $25mil/yr pitcher going forward. He's also a guy you probably don't want to sign beyond 35, let alone up to 38. I love Max and wish we could have found a way to keep him here, but I just don't see the value there.

Scherzer will get more than the Tigers offered. The best one from the sox was probably a little low ball since it was out there that Lester would go there for less. Of course...that backfired (if the $135M is true)

Scherzer will get more than his offer from the Tigers and most likely will get more than Lester.
I have no doubt Scherzer will get more than Lester, but I don't think the premium Boras is seeking is out there. I also don't see the Red Sox offer as a low ball. I think it's a fair offer and it was on par with others. The Cubs are just willing and able to spend a bit more carelessly right now in hopes of becoming relevant again.

Back