Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Offseason Deals and Rumors

Big contracts are on what have you done prior. And as far as Prior not anyone more worthy of Miggy. With injuries last year he was still pretty good. His skill set says he'll play well later in his career..As far as JV, it is what it is..

No kidding! The Tigers already have two of the worst contracts in baseball...no need adding a third!

I think the Cabrera contract is not bad. Everywhere I go in Michigan I see a random jersey every once in awhile.

Gotta figure Jersey sales of a player into a signing. I am sure there are at least 1 million Caberea jerseys out there. At $100 a pop Cabrera is an ATM for Detroit.

You're the only one who thinks that about Cabrera's contract.

Chances are, he's still going to be putting up huge number by the end of it, and thus far he's been worth every penny.

I get you hate baseballs payroll, but sometimes you get way to anal about it. It's not 1985 TOM, players are going to get PAID and Cabrera deserves it more than anyone.

Me and most people that are not Tiger fans. I haven't read many articles saying it was a good contract.

You say thus far he has been worth every penny...his extension doesn't kick in until 2016! He has been worth every penny up to this point. He still has one year left on his FIRST extension. Of course he is recovering from foot surgery which includes a broken bone (stress fracture). He is only 31, will be 32 in spring and 33 when his new 8 year $248M ($31M AAV) kicks in. You say chances are he will be putting up "huge numbers by the end of it"...I have my doubts about that. Guys that age that are great are the exception...not the rule. I know he is an elite talent but it doesn't mean he will be great or even an asset to the organization in 4 years.

I don't hate baseballs payroll...I hate the Tiger's payroll though....way too top heavy.

The bottom line is DD extended JV and Miggy at their peaks. Dumb business especially when they BOTH had 2 years left on their contracts. JV would be a free agent this season...how great would that be....they could just say goodbye to him right now!

I think the Cabrera contract is not bad. Everywhere I go in Michigan I see a random jersey every once in awhile.

Gotta figure Jersey sales of a player into a signing. I am sure there are at least 1 million Caberea jerseys out there. At $100 a pop Cabrera is an ATM for Detroit.

I think you would be surprised how little money the Tigers get (actual $$ going to the Tigers) for Cabrera jerseys. I don't know how MLB does it but I read that the NFL shares the profits from merchandise sales...I'm guessing that most professional sports do it the same way but that is just a guess.

Last edited:
I've actually come across a few articles by ESPN and Grantland (likely many others) that felt Cabrera's contract was one of the worst in baseball, so no, not everyone was on board with it.

I think you would be surprised how little money the Tigers get (actual $$ going to the Tigers) for Cabrera jerseys. I don't know how MLB does it but I read that the NFL shares the profits from merchandise sales...I'm guessing that most professional sports do it the same way but that is just a guess.
The thing w/ Cabrera here is that he's got a great shot at the HOF as Tiger which would make his jersey almost indefinitely marketable. Shit, how many Kaline jerseys do you still see getting sold? Cabrera could be our modern version of that.

The thing w/ Cabrera here is that he's got a great shot at the HOF as Tiger which would make his jersey almost indefinitely marketable. Shit, how many Kaline jerseys do you still see getting sold? Cabrera could be our modern version of that.

Yep that's why I'm glad he's here. No surprise that ball players get paid on past performances..Just the way it is..win 2 MVP's, and the best player in the game you get paid. Win a Cy Young, MVP and 2nd in Cy Young - you're going to get paid.

Most long contracts after 30 end up bad but it's not my money.

This offseason has been so fucking frustrating. So far we've re-signed VMart (yay), traded for a bench OF to play CF full time, and traded for a 5th starter.

GET OFF YOUR FUCKING ASS, DD

Honestly I rather trade some vets and forgo the season. We'll going to end up like Philly if we keep at it..

Now Houston got Luke Gregerson, 3 YRS @ 18.5. Seems reasonable, why couldn't we get a good pitcher like that, only 30 years old, instead of the high priced junk DD has gotten us..they got Neshek as well and he's solid, probably not too expensive.

Now Houston got Luke Gregerson, 3 YRS @ 18.5. Seems reasonable, why couldn't we get a good pitcher like that, only 30 years old, instead of the high priced junk DD has gotten us..they got Neshek as well and he's solid, probably not too expensive.

I read that Neshek got 2 years $12.5M

Boras is up to his usual antics of publicly praising the Ilitch family and trying to bypass Dombrowski. That act is getting pretty old, but I guess it will continue as long as Mr. I or others take the bait.

I'm really starting to despise the business side of sports. It seems like the endorsements, product placements, agents, and ridiculous deals given to men to play kids' games has hit max capacity now. I think it's a function of the 24/7 news cycle, social media, and rampant consumerism, but it's pretty disgusting. I like Scherzer and Suh as players, but their agent influence is making me want both to disappear. It's a shame because it makes it hard to root for the players you enjoy watching play the game.

Kemp to Padres for Grandal (catcher) and two pitching prospects. Padres get a crappy catcher, Kemp and $31M

Kemp to Padres for Grandal (catcher) and two pitching prospects. Padres get a crappy catcher, Kemp and $31M

Grandal is NOT a crappy catcher. He has the ability to be an All Star.

Joe Weiland is a solid pitching prospect. He projects to be a mid to top rotation starter.

This was a steal for the Dodgers. Apparently SDP traded Grandal because they are confident in their other catchers/catching prospects.

Grandal is NOT a crappy catcher. He has the ability to be an All Star.

Joe Weiland is a solid pitching prospect. He projects to be a mid to top rotation starter.

This was a steal for the Dodgers. Apparently SDP traded Grandal because they are confident in their other catchers/catching prospects.

I said that the Padres got the crappy catcher.

Back