Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers sign SP Mike Pelfry and release him 3/30/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no defending the pelfrey signing. He is terrible.[/QUO

Pretty blank statement , so what would you have done instead ? Maybe try one of the young guys , traded for someone else , signed someone else ? Just curious

There is no defending the pelfrey signing. He is terrible.[/QUO

Pretty blank statement , so what would you have done instead ? Maybe try one of the young guys , traded for someone else , signed someone else ? Just curious

welcome back sonnett and yes i also agree.... what else would you have done? for a 4/5th starter Pelfry isn't THE WORST option ever and should eat some much needed innings....

It's the terms of the contract that is galling. He got a $3,000,000 raise for being perhaps the worse starter in MLB. Twice. But, he's got the "D" on and I will obviously pull for the guy.

It's been such a long time since they signed him that I forgot the terms. 2 years for $16M for this P.O.S.?

It is really hard to care what the sports reporter for USA today thinks about the Tigers starting rotation.

As in, for me, it is impossible to care.

It is really hard to care what the sports reporter for USA today thinks about the Tigers starting rotation.

It doesn't mean anything but it's interesting to see what unbiased sports people think about the team.

Of course, anyone or anything that does not have a totally homer outlook on the Tigers you're going to dismiss. Just like in the thread you created complaining about ESPN and arguing they aren't qualified to say what the state of the Tigers financial issues are. If fact you said nobody was qualified to say, then went on for several posts in truly ironic fashion and did exactly that.

Myself I trust the independent sources much more than the local sports reporting we get from the freep, det. news and mlive.

Not true. Not at all in fact.

What possible qualification does Buster Olney have to judge the finances of a Billion dollar plus business? The guy has a BA from Vanderbilt in History (a business expert he ain't). He is basing his whole argument on crap anecdotal wisdom.

That wasn't homerism, that was defending logic.

Am I wrong about ESPN, the supposed leader in sports? No.

For me I read broadly, and follow two things: Logic and the credibility of the source.

I do not care if a source disagrees with me.

welcome back sonnett and yes i also agree.... what else would you have done? for a 4/5th starter Pelfry isn't THE WORST option ever and should eat some much needed innings....

I would have preferred to go after a guy coming off an injury/bad year i.e. Masterson, Wandy Rodriguez or Fister. The ceiling on Pelfry is pretty low.

We have young guys who could set up if those guys didn't pan out. I know Pelfrey isn't the worst option but there are better options for 2 yr $16 mill.

Cliff Lee would have been an interesting pickup.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

He has made it clear he wants to sign with a contender.

Yea , that makes alot of sense . So we wont be seeing your brilliant post's throughout the season then ? Darn , i will miss the doom and gloom people so much .

Thought i heard he was considering sitting the season out to get fully healthy , but if he decided to give it a go , he would be an interesting idea . Doubt we would go after him tho , they seem to be all set heading into the season .

Not true. Not at all in fact.

What possible qualification does Buster Olney have to judge the finances of a Billion dollar plus business? The guy has a BA from Vanderbilt in History (a business expert he ain't). He is basing his whole argument on crap anecdotal wisdom.

That wasn't homerism, that was defending logic.

Am I wrong about ESPN, the supposed leader in sports? No.

For me I read broadly, and follow two things: Logic and the credibility of the source.

I do not care if a source disagrees with me.

It adds conversation pieces. Are we not suppose to post stuff from ESPN, MLive, PFF etc.

Well, since I am not the editor and chief. Of course you can post whatever you want.

I'm just "adding to the conversation" by mocking ESPN, which has a credibility crisis that is directly related to there financial issues, I suspect; although, I'm not an expert.

I'm saying, that the claim that the Tigers are going to go the way of the Phillies is a flawed argument since the Tigers situation is far from analogous to the Phillies situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back