Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers vs. orioles ALDS Game 2 October 3

I'm betting Max ends up in Boston or LAA. Don't know that St. Louis would spend that kind of money (the money Max already turned down), after all they passed on Pujols.

Gotta stick with your 8th and 9th inning guys...clearly the smart decision.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not...

BUT -

I did have this thought -

If Sanchez had come back in for the 8th, and because of his injury and layoff or whatever he was spent, and he gives a leadoff jack and the next guy doubles, and Chamberlain comes in and it's a similar train wreck -

everybody would have been saying "why didn't Ausmus give his set up guy a clean inning? Everybody KNOWS Sanchez was a question mark!!!"

It does hurt because as been mentioned Max and VM will move on.. Miggy knows it.. The window is closing fast with the Tigers with 0 titles to show for it....

Don't be too surprise to see V-Mart here next season. As he is limited to 1st base and DH now a days. Most of the teams that can afford him already have those. Max IMO is gone unless Tigers can get a better Bull Pen and a center fielder. I don't think it's all about the money. A Ring is a big deal with some that already have a million or two and Max just got some big bucks for 2014.

But let me say it one more time for the record. I did say as long as the Tigers paid big money for Cabrera to play 1st they would be hard pressed to win a series, on the old espn board. And now they are paying bigger money for starting pitching and not getting a BULLY pen next to not happening!

Baltimore has a lock down closer that they almost released before the season.. yet, we can't even find a decent middle or setup man while spending millions of dollars. Scouting sucks for sure, and so does DD's approach. Replace our free agent hitters with guys who get on base and can run. Hunter cannot be re-signed. Go get a CF who is capable of starting every day and gets on base. Go get every fucking reliever who had success this year and decide who can be put in what roles. This team is done competing now. All we'll have left is Cabrera, JD and one more year of Price.

Easier said than done about going out and getting a Center fielder. Tigers have few trading chips. But lets face it they got to get a bull pen!

Gotta stick with your 8th and 9th inning guys...clearly the smart decision.

I heard an interview on the radio recently with Ausmus, when the question came up regarding Nathan in the post season he said (paraphrasing)...

Pitching the 9th inning is a whole lot different than pitching the 7th or 8th inning, it requires a certain mentality, you can't just put in anyone in that situation. Nathan has that experience.

------------

I was excited about the Ausmus hiring...now I'm hoping the Tigers fire him. I would normally give a 1st year manager a pass on minor mistakes, but some of these moves are just mind-boggling...especially for an Ivy League guy.

But this was my biggest concern of getting to the closer. Tigers did not improve there setup, middle men!
And really when I 1st hear that Tigers traded for Price I was rejoiced Smyly would be able to go to the pen. And then I read on about they gave him in the trade. We really did not solve any thing with that move. We just traded 5 to 6 innings for 6 to 7or7+ innings before we got to the real trouble of the pitching staff!

Our corner OF spots are basically set, barring DD actually being smart, its going to be JDMart in one and then Dirks/Davis in the other. A middle infielder will get traded to bring in a center fielder, and at this point i think its likely to be Kinsler. Trading him would open up payroll and likely would be selling high on him. The FA class is extremely weak this year.

Humm could be an idea that could work.

Only trade Kinsler if it brings back a very talented mlb ready OF. Joc Pederson would be ideal from the dodgers. That kid is going to be shit. We have Devon Travis to replace Kinsler.

I've read the entire thread and listened to all the arguments about today's catastrophe. Bottom line is the egregious mistake was bringing in Joba. Sanchez was cruising and in a short series you need a reliever, any reliever, to eat up outs. Period. Look what Gausman did for the O's today. Fuck the mentality that Joba owns the 8th, Nathan owns the 9th. These guys have been erratic all year (especially Joba lately).

No, the die was cast when Assmunch removed his best pitcher today after 40 pitches, turning a 1-1 series into a "backs against the wall, totally demoralizing 0-2 situation".
He will have all winter to ponder that move.

I've read the entire thread and listened to all the arguments about today's catastrophe. Bottom line is the egregious mistake was bringing in Joba. Sanchez was cruising and in a short series you need a reliever, any reliever, to eat up outs. Period. Look what Gausman did for the O's today. Fuck the mentality that Joba owns the 8th, Nathan owns the 9th. These guys have been erratic all year (especially Joba lately).

No, the die was cast when Assmunch removed his best pitcher today after 40 pitches, turning a 1-1 series into a "backs against the wall, totally demoralizing 0-2 situation".
He will have all winter to ponder that move.

Honestly, we shouldn't trade for any CF who isnt MLB ready since thats what we need and also because, with some luck, derek hill will be ready in several years.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not...

BUT -

I did have this thought -

If Sanchez had come back in for the 8th, and because of his injury and layoff or whatever he was spent, and he gives a leadoff jack and the next guy doubles, and Chamberlain comes in and it's a similar train wreck -

everybody would have been saying "why didn't Ausmus give his set up guy a clean inning? Everybody KNOWS Sanchez was a question mark!!!"

Maybe some fans, but not me. Plenty of pitchers come back from several week injuries like that, if this had been the regular season Sanchez would've come back to start, probably on a limited count/number of innings... Which would've been more than the two he pitched. He was pitching well, there wasn't much reason to not bring him back out there.

I also think rigid relief pitching assignments are stupid. A manager should put in the best relief pitcher for the situation, not because he's the "8th inning guy". I suppose it's fine to stick with those guys if they've been pitching well, because they actually are the best option... But that wasn't the case with Joba. It's not like Joba was lights out and he came in to replace Sanchez.

Only trade Kinsler if it brings back a very talented mlb ready OF. Joc Pederson would be ideal from the dodgers. That kid is going to be shit. We have Devon Travis to replace Kinsler.
They wouldn't trade Joc for Price at the deadline so I doubt that happens. They already have Gordon and a Cuban kid they are high on at 2nd anyway

Its been the same problem the last 4 years, nothing changes. Terrible pen, bad defense, bad base running and weak bench. Teams like giants, cardinals, and red sox always excell in the playoffs because they are strong in all those points.

It's usually the Lions where we're saying "at least baseball season is starting soon." Now it's "at least we have football."

Its been the same problem the last 4 years, nothing changes. Terrible pen, bad defense, bad base running and weak bench. Teams like giants, cardinals, and red sox always excell in the playoffs because they are strong in all those points.

Yep. All 4 that you mentioned, same ole same ole.

Maybe some fans, but not me. Plenty of pitchers come back from several week injuries like that, if this had been the regular season Sanchez would've come back to start, probably on a limited count/number of innings... Which would've been more than the two he pitched. He was pitching well, there wasn't much reason to not bring him back out there.

I also think rigid relief pitching assignments are stupid. A manager should put in the best relief pitcher for the situation, not because he's the "8th inning guy". I suppose it's fine to stick with those guys if they've been pitching well, because they actually are the best option... But that wasn't the case with Joba. It's not like Joba was lights out and he came in to replace Sanchez.

Yep.

I was sorry to see him not stay with Sanchez; our "set up" guy has been more of a "set up
to lose" guy, and our "closer" has been
more of a "close the door against winning" guy.

Bringing in Sanchez at all signaled that there was an emergency within the regular bullpen staff in the 6th and the 7th.

Well, there was still an emergency going in the 8th.

The bullpen has been an emergency all year.

Why the so called "experts" predicted this to be the year the Tigers go all the way, I don't know.

And just great a team we beat 14 out of 19 times is closer to the title then we are right now.:/

Back