Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's example of Christians behaving badly

It's funny 'cause the Church is (allegedly) the unique, "Holy Catholic Apostolic" Earthly representation of an infallible divine power... except when it's revealed the church harbored and enabled child molestation, rape, and murder for hundreds of years, and then it's "OH so the church isn't perfect? Well, guess what, NO ONE is."

... Right, but remember, they started this whole "Church" thing by claiming they were.

Plus, it would seem that the god they worship, the omniscient - omnipotent - omnipresent - almighty one, could have just MAYBE used his limitless power to stop this from happening.

<cue the 'free will' excuse>

I was raised a Catholic. I went to Catholic schools from the 1st grade through high school. I never really bought into the whole Jesus thing. Dying on a cross and coming back to life 3 days later? Can you imagine if somebody tried to pull that off today? Nobody would believe it.

IMO, most churches are scams. They tell you what you want to hear so you feel better about what happens after you die. Of course, all they do is beg for money. My wife wanted to baptize our kids...so I went along. My youngest is 16 and we haven't been to church once since he was baptized. Does the church ask where we are, how we are doing and invite us to church...hell no. We do get our donation envelopes once a month though.

no one is using that defense nor has anyone excused the abuse or the cover up by the church. But arguing the point has never been your strong suit.

Didnt say ANYONE excused the abuse.

But as far the yeahbutters....

Just one example

there also isn't one titled teachers behaving badly. No one is excusing the abuse or the coverups, but to pretend this is a uniquely Catholic problem is to miss the problem entirely

Now who was it that said that again....?

IMO, most churches are scams. They tell you what you want to hear so you feel better about what happens after you die. Of course, all they do is beg for money. .

Not to mention the roughly $72 Billion in taxes (per year) they are not required to pay because, well you know, church and state separation isn't really a thing I guess.

Plus, it would seem that the god they worship, the omniscient - omnipotent - omnipresent - almighty one, could have just MAYBE used his limitless power to stop this from happening.

<cue the 'free will' excuse>

Pretty much just as lame as the eternal question? Why does God allow evil in the world?

You cue them up, and I'll smack them out. :*)

Pretty much just as lame as the eternal question? Why does God allow evil in the world?

What did you smack out? I didn't see a response answering why a merciful, omnipotent god would allow representatives of his own church to rape children, and other representatives of his church to protect the rapists, with no repercussions for them (other than lawsuits by the victims).

What did you smack out? I didn't see a response answering why a merciful, omnipotent god would allow representatives of his own church to rape children, and other representatives of his church to protect the rapists, with no repercussions for them (other than lawsuits by the victims).

Key words "would allow". He mentioned something about "cue the free will excuse" - I was serving it up.

Also, I can see why you are so bent out of shape about it. For you there is no judgment day.

While were at it - let's come up with some punishments for the following assholes:
1) Smokers who use our outdoors as their ashtray.
2) People who are deliberately cruel to their pets.
3) People who leave their piggy mess for others to clean up.
4) Anyone who feels entitled to infringe on someone else's rights.

See, there are degrees of evil, and punishments that might be meted out by any number of idiots who have done worse. Including your abject horror at the evil you mention above. So while I believe your understanding of mercy, and omnipotence may be skewed, I'm sure based on what you say, that we can find someone who is completely and without question above all of that?

You willing to try that job, because I can tell you that if I had it, those that I mention above would be dealt with pretty harshly too, including death to the evil ones you mention? That is why I am nowhere near that qualified.

. . . I'm here to tell you, you are farther away from being qualified than I am.

Do you really want to discuss the importance of free will, or were you just being a jerk?

Last edited:
Any god, any of the roughly 4200 worshiped worldwide, that had the power to stop these kids from being molested...and didn't....in my opinion....does NOT deserve ANY worship. That god would be just as big a piece of shit as the priests that did it.

As you said in a post after the quoted one, there are varying degrees of "evil". Heck, there are even different definitions for it. But my question/statement isn't about the other degrees and definitions. I am speaking specifically about the impotent god that could not stop his agents from molesting children. I have often heard the excuse that god is like a father. And as a father does one always step in and stop their children from doing wrong. Or do they sometimes let them learn on their own. For me, as a father, you can bet your ass I would step in before I would let my kids do anything this heinous. I guess my morality is different than that of the god y'all Catholics follow.

Didnt say ANYONE excused the abuse.

But as far the yeahbutters....

Just one example

there also isn't one titled teachers behaving badly. No one is excusing the abuse or the coverups, but to pretend this is a uniquely Catholic problem is to miss the problem entirely

Now who was it that said that again....?

I said it and quoting me doesn't change the fact that you're arguing against something I never said.

As you said in a post after the quoted one, there are varying degrees of "evil". Heck, there are even different definitions for it. But my question/statement isn't about the other degrees and definitions. I am speaking specifically about the impotent god that could not stop his agents from molesting children. I have often heard the excuse that god is like a father. And as a father does one always step in and stop their children from doing wrong. Or do they sometimes let them learn on their own. For me, as a father, you can bet your ass I would step in before I would let my kids do anything this heinous. I guess my morality is different than that of the god y'all Catholics follow.

Comparing yourself to God. Typical of someone who really has no clue.

Your master baiting comments:
impotent
comparing your fatherhood to God's
claiming the moral high ground compared to God

I guess I won't be taking your inane bait. You couldn't be more wrong, about . . . everything.

Goody for you - you can be a bitter jerk, just as much as anyone else. :clap:

Last edited:
Comparing yourself to God. Typical of someone who really has no clue.

Your master baiting comments:
impotent
comparing your fatherhood to God's
claiming the moral high ground compared to God

I guess I won't be taking your inane bait. You couldn't be more wrong, about . . . everything.

Goody for you - you can be a bitter jerk, just as much as anyone else. :clap:

Most definitely not comparing myself to god. But I am curious as to what it is you are claiming I have no clue about.

And yes, god was impotent with regards to the priests molesting the children.

im?po?tent
ˈimpətnt/
adjective
adjective: impotent

unable to take effective action; helpless or powerless.

Further, I was not comparing my fatherhood to gods. I was merely being critical of an excuse I have heard before.
Also, I didnt say my morality was higher than gods. I said it was different. I would want to stop the priests from hurting the kids. Interesting that you inferred that as higher morality.

Again, I am curious as to what I couldnt be more wrong about.

As for bitter, it is difficult via written word to judge tones or inflections. No, I am not bitter. I simply am trying to figure out how any god could allow such atrocities to occur. As for being a jerk, if questioning things like I do about gods and religions makes me seem that way to you, I cant help that.

Most definitely not comparing myself to god. But I am curious as to what it is you are claiming I have no clue about.

And yes, god was impotent with regards to the priests molesting the children.

im?po?tent
ˈimpətnt/
adjective
adjective: impotent

unable to take effective action; helpless or powerless.

This is what you are mostly wrong about. Priests have free will too, to screw up as much as any other human being. If you listen to Dante, Hell's circles have quite a few popes in them. No one is immune.

I can't claim to you why omnipotence is attributed to God unless you really want to talk philosophy, but you also cannot claim impotency, because you just don't know.

This is what you are mostly wrong about. Priests have free will too, to screw up as much as any other human being. If you listen to Dante, Hell's circles have quite a few popes in them. No one is immune.

I can't claim to you why omnipotence is attributed to God unless you really want to talk philosophy, but you also cannot claim impotency, because you just don't know.

Then why believe them? And not just "believe" but have "faith" in them as they demand?

But I know we'll never see eye-to-eye on this... if you want to believe what some sex offender tells you about an imaginary man in the sky, give him your money, and on Sundays go spend an hour listening to him opine on moral issues, have at it.

I don't.

Back