Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2019 Major League Playoffs and World Series

P1: W 225 L 129 IP 2982.0 K 3006 FIP 3.41 WHIP 1.135 CG 26
P2: W 217 L 191 IP 3638.1 K 2832 FIP 3.20 WHIP 1.227 CG 195

P1 Verlander "first balloter"
P2 Lolich 13% of the ballots in 2003

EDIT: And the World Series thing, in so far as pitching stats.

I think the reason JV is considered to be HOF worthy and Lolich is not is because Lolich was never considered to be elite during his career when compared to his counterparts. During his career he led the league in K's one time, innings once, and wins another. He was only a 3 time all star and top 5 Cy twice. He just wasn't a dominant pitcher in his era.

I heard on the radio last night that JV went over 4000 pitches for the season. Oldest player since Randy Johnson to do so if i heard it right.

Guys make names for themselves because of the World Series. Bucky Dent, aside from being a Yankee, was nothing special except in the 1978 World Series. Nor was Donn Clendenon anything special.

The World Series is supposed to be the best of the best. JV isn't pitching 1/3 of his games against bottom dwellers (2019 Tigers) and 1/3 with average teamsm. He is pitching against the other leagues supposed best. In JV's case, that has spanned 14-15 years, with a few years apart. It isn't like you are in a rut or where you can get "hot".

6 games anywhere throughout a season could be just as bad, even for a Cy Young pitcher. Or great. The sample rate is such that it is highly insignificant, but still makes heroes out of guys like Bucky Dent and trashed greats like JV.

I think the reason JV is considered to be HOF worthy and Lolich is not is because Lolich was never considered to be elite during his career when compared to his counterparts. During his career he led the league in K's one time, innings once, and wins another. He was only a 3 time all star and top 5 Cy twice. He just wasn't a dominant pitcher in his era.

Catfish Hunter, Herb Pennock, Bob Lemon, Lefty Gomez -- I think Lolich is better than all of these HOF pitchers.

Last edited:
Ozzie Smith (I still say Trammell was better) in 3 WS had an OPS of .435 and he was day one HOF. Ripken was in one WS and was awful. Dave Winfield in his first WS was 1 for 22. 2nd WS wasn't much better. I could go on and on but lots of great players were trash or didn't even get to one. WS stats matter little, unless maybe you're border line. JV is not borderline.

Guys make names for themselves because of the World Series. Bucky Dent, aside from being a Yankee, was nothing special except in the 1978 World Series. Nor was Donn Clendenon anything special.

The World Series is supposed to be the best of the best. JV isn't pitching 1/3 of his games against bottom dwellers (2019 Tigers) and 1/3 with average teamsm. He is pitching against the other leagues supposed best. In JV's case, that has spanned 14-15 years, with a few years apart. It isn't like you are in a rut or where you can get "hot".

6 games anywhere throughout a season could be just as bad, even for a Cy Young pitcher. Or great. The sample rate is such that it is highly insignificant, but still makes heroes out of guys like Bucky Dent and trashed greats like JV.

All of this could be very true...but on the other hand some guys may just choke.

I always feel that the best of the best rise to the occasion.

Zach is freaking dealing. Like a 5 to 7 pitch inning in the top of the sixth.

Top of the 7th one out Washington gets its second hit. A 1 out home run. 2-1 now.

This ump just squeezed Zach big time. That curve was snapped off perfectly and should been strike 2. Walked batters pitch later.

Last edited:
Harris a big goat in this series. He just has sucked, and now the Astros pen can’t seem to get a out. 5 batters in a row had reached base for Washington as they look to break this game wide open.

I will never understand not taking late in a game down one run on a 3-1 count. Nope swings and is a easy flyout.

Dang Washington is 9-0 so far this post season with Max and Steven starting games.

Last edited:
3-2 Washington top of the 8th.

Line score

Washington 3-4-0 with 3 left on base.
Houston 2?9-0 with 10 left on base.

Last edited:
I hope one day again the Tigers will have some great players again, and be in a World Series, and maybe play good and win it !

Back