Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 NFL Draft Strategy - Thru Week 13

A pulled up a random mock.

Lions at 2, KT

#15 Trent McDuffie, CB
$18 Nakobe Dean

IMO...McDuffie + Dean > KT

Unfortunately this just highlights the relative weakness of the top tier.

As much as I like exploring trade down scenarios, I still struggle with the question of why any team would even try to trade up.

Unfortunately this just highlights the relative weakness of the top tier.

As much as I like exploring trade down scenarios, I still struggle with the question of why any team would even try to trade up.

Maybe a few teams fall in love with Malik Willis??

Maybe a few teams fall in love with Malik Willis??

Yep. That is the only way I seeing it happen. Someone loves Willis. Saints have time to bring him along too with Winston back. Seattle has the ammo. Giants have the ammo. Eagles actually still do too but ride with Hurt I bet.

I don't think the Lions will end up trading this year. It's just not the QB class that is needed for a large trade up scenario.

Anyway, I am for them taking whoever they think is the best player......regardless of the position (with obvious exceptions, of course). If they feel Hamilton will be better than Thibedoux than take him. Just hit the pick. I'd rather hit big time with a S or a CB (Sauce) than think "oh, only a QB, LT or DE are worth the #2 pick" and then draft Willis or KT.

Just pick a superstar. Easier said than done, I know......but this whole idea that only certain picks can be worthy of a draft slot is insane if you miss with the pick anyway.

I don't think the Lions will end up trading this year. It's just not the QB class that is needed for a large trade up scenario.

Anyway, I am for them taking whoever they think is the best player......regardless of the position (with obvious exceptions, of course). If they feel Hamilton will be better than Thibedoux than take him. Just hit the pick. I'd rather hit big time with a S or a CB (Sauce) than think "oh, only a QB, LT or DE are worth the #2 pick" and then draft Willis or KT.

Just pick a superstar. Easier said than done, I know......but this whole idea that only certain picks can be worthy of a draft slot is insane if you miss with the pick anyway.

on the other hand...if they don't see someone that they love, why not trade back even if it isn't what would be typical compensation? In years past you wouldn't trade the #2 pick for, let's say #6 and a 2nd because the "points" don't add up. Who cares if in the end your team is better because you traded back.

on the other hand...if they don't see someone that they love, why not trade back even if it isn't what would be typical compensation? In years past you wouldn't trade the #2 pick for, let's say #6 and a 2nd because the "points" don't add up. Who cares if in the end your team is better because you traded back.

I always laugh when people say "just trade back" and then complain when we don't do it. There has to be a partner. There has to be a team willing to move up for that to happen. They also have to offer something beneficial to the Lions to do that.

I would love a trade down scenario.....but not one that doesn't benefit the organization as well. I get what you're saying and agree to an extent. But that is going to depend on WHO would be available at #6 and does it mesh with who they are targeting.

This certainly is a year where having more picks in the top 50 would be beneficial as there are so many guys that fit in the 5-50 category.

People will bitch if we take KT and he busts or is just solid/good and not an all pro
People will bitch if we trade down and then KT or Hamilton is an all pro. Why didn't you take them they'll say
People will bitch if Willis becomes a great QB and we didn't take him. Or even a guy like Ridder if we pass on him later. Anyone we don't take that becomes good, they'll say why didn't you just draft him

People will just bitch

Just hope the Lions hit on as many as possible, no matter how many picks we have or get or trade and turn this thing around with consistent winners through the draft

KT makes sense
Willis makes sense
Hamilton makes sense
Walker makes sense if they think is better than KT
Hutch we jump for joy but could not work out too

No obvious all pros out there is annoying at both pick 2 2022 and pick 3 2020

Everyone make a big board and post of your top 100

Last edited:
People will bitch if we take KT and he busts or is just solid/good and not an all pro
People will bitch if we trade down and then KT or Hamilton is an all pro. Why didn't you take them they'll say
People will bitch if Willis becomes a great QB and we didn't take him. Or even a guy like Ridder if we pass on him later. Anyone we don't take that becomes good, they'll say why didn't you just draft him

People will just bitch

No. People bitch because we miss so often. Not one single person on this board will complain if we draft Thibs and he becomes a superstar. Not one.

No one will bitch if we take Willis or Ridder and they become Josh Allen 2.0.

No one will bitch if we take a player and he becomes a difference maker.

People bitch because that never seems to happen. We draft Jeff Okudah, or TJ Hockenson, or Eric Ebron or Brandon Pettigrew. Godsner Cherilus. Jelani Tavai. Aaron Gibson. Ryan Broyles. Teez "nuts" Tabor.

People wouldn't bitch if Okudah became JC Jackson instead of a guy who seems destined to be a never was (hope not, but its hard to argue at this point). People wouldn't bitch if Hock became Travis Kelce or Tavai was Cole Holecomb.

We bitch because they aren't and could have been.

Last edited:
No. People bitch because we miss so often. Not one single person on this board will complain if we draft Thibs and he becomes a superstar. Not one.

No one will bitch if we take Willis or Ridder and they become Josh Allen 2.0.

No one will bitch if we take a player and he becomes a difference maker.

People bitch because that never seems to happen. We draft Jeff Okudah, or TJ Hockenson, or Eric Ebron or Brandon Pettigrew. Godsner Cherilus. Jelani Tavai. Aaron Gibson. Ryan Broyles. Teez "nuts" Tabor.

People wouldn't bitch if Okudah became JC Jackson instead of a guy who seems destined to be a never was (hope not, but its hard to argue at this point). People wouldn't bitch if Hock became Travis Kelce or Tavai was Cole Holecomb.

We bitch because they aren't and could have been.

You fail to see how much a crapshoot it can be and the logic behind the picks. Okudah people are bitching but it was the right pick. Ebron was rated high and was a need. Hock is good. Gosder was fine. I want a top 100 board from everyone so there is no more hindsight police on this shit. Make your boards and then only bitch if you had a guy rated higher that the Lions passed on.

Last edited:
You fail to see how much a crapshoot it can be and the logic behind the picks. Okudah people are bitching but it was the right pick. Ebron was rated high and was a need. Hock is good. Gosder was fine. I want a top 100 board from everyone so there is no more hindsight police on this shit. Make your boards and then only bitch if you had a guy rated higher that the Lions passed on.

this is another example of you being a dumbass. The people on these boards are just football fans. The Lions organization is supposed to know what they are doing. They spend millions of dollars every year on scouting, etc. and still seem to always get it wrong.

this is another example of you being a dumbass. The people on these boards are just football fans. The Lions organization is supposed to know what they are doing. They spend millions of dollars every year on scouting, etc. and still seem to always get it wrong.

So you should leave it up to them and not bitch unless you can provide reasons besides hindsight why it was a bad choice at the time.

Ebron is a perfect example. He made a ton of sense for that pick. The draft is crapshoot and now I have to hear people bringing up Donald all the time

And yep you are a football fan. So don't question the decisions if you don't know shit as you just stated that you don't know shit

There is needs, there is luck, there is injuries, there is player development, there is scheme involved and there are reasons choices are made. Most of our picks there is good reasons we pick them that make logical sense

You are also too scared to make a big board because it will expose you

Last edited:
I want a top 100 board from everyone so there is no more hindsight police on this shit. Make your boards and then only bitch if you had a guy rated higher that the Lions passed on.

You go first.

I'll wait.

So you should leave it up to them and not bitch unless you can provide reasons besides hindsight why it was a bad choice at the time.

Ebron is a perfect example. He made a ton of sense for that pick. The draft is crapshoot and now I have to hear people bringing up Donald all the time

And yep you are a football fan. So don't question the decisions if you don't know shit as you just stated that you don't know shit

There is needs, there is luck, there is injuries, there is player development, there is scheme involved and there are reasons choices are made. Most of our picks there is good reasons we pick them that make logical sense

You are also too scared to make a big board because it will expose you

The success of a draft pick isn't based on whether it was the "right" choice at the time. It's how successful that player was for you.

With your logic, Ryan Leaf was a good pick. He was the 2nd highest rated QB by EVERYONE on the planet and the Chargers had the NEED and the 2nd pick. Perfect fit by all accounts. Except one. He sucked on the field. Oh, and was a worse person off of it.

So, was Ryan Leaf the right pick?

Last edited:
The success of a draft pick isn't based on whether it was the "right" choice at the time. It's how successful that player was for you.

With your logic, Ryan Leaf was a good pick. He was the 2nd highest rated QB by EVERYONE on the planet and the Chargers had the NEED and the 2nd pick. Perfect fit by all accounts. Except one. He sucked on the field. Oh, and was a worse person off of it.

So, was Ryan Leaf the right pick?

He was not developed probably and had mental issues. Can't ding them too much for taking a shot on him given his talent. Can ding Leaf himself and the coaches. Right choice at the time, developed really poorly

Like I said it's a crap shoot. Sometimes it poor coaching, sometimes on the player, sometimes injuries. It varies

You do know the GM that took him don't you? HOF GM Bobby Beathard

Last edited:
Theres round 1 busts every year. If there isnt that special player in the top 5 and you cant find a trade partner. You pick the guy that you feel will help your team the most.

As far as NEED goes we have to get that true edge rusher....havent had one in decades. If hes a bust...ofcourse we will flame him for it. Dont suck when you get drafted in the top 2.

Need would also be safety..my personal opinion is Hamilton would be picked way to high if taken at 2. I wouldnt hate it if we took him at like 10. So we lose a bit of value there. I wouldnt hate it if we took KT at like a 7. So again..we would lose a little value there. Lets see if Holmes can maximize the value.

If hes forced to pick BPA at 2 its going to be a crap shoot between NEED and picking a position like OT that we may not need.

Leave it to the Lions to get a top 2 pick when there 0 talent at the top of the draft lol.

Back