Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 NFL Draft Strategy - Thru Week 13

Last season, Lions quarterback Jared Goff attempted just 43 passes of 20 or more air yards, 23rd in the league, and he completed only 30.2% of those throws?We need a new qb ASAP.

Last season, Lions quarterback Jared Goff attempted just 43 passes of 20 or more air yards, 23rd in the league, and he completed only 30.2% of those throws?We need a new qb ASAP.

Agree with that. We should wait until next year when there is a good one available to draft. Reaching for a marginal QB prospect with more questions than answers at #2 overall is a bad business decision.

Lions had shit deep wrs last year. Cephus and ty williams hurt early. No reynolds until mid year

With chark, reynolds, cephus and healthy hock and healthy decker and ragnow and sewell, Goff can go deep way more and well

Goff is getting one last shot and qb class better next year

No indication at all Lions go qb at 2..32 or day 2 flier at best for a backup with potential

Agree with that. We should wait until next year when there is a good one available to draft. Reaching for a marginal QB prospect with more questions than answers at #2 overall is a bad business decision.

Next years class is also supposed to have a better WR and DE. Should we wait for that too?

Next years class is also supposed to have a better WR and DE. Should we wait for that too?

Could at WR actually with Chark, Reynolds, St Brown and Cephus and Edge with Romeo, Harris and Julian Okwara

QB 2022 set with Goff and the backups returning

So if strictly need at 2 then Kyle Hamilton it is

So you don't think there is any difference between the QB position and the WR position? Seems silly to have to tell you this, but the QB position is much more important.

Listen, I understand that my OPINION on Malik Willis is just that, my opinion. But to answer your question.....no. There is deep enough talent at the WR and DE positions in THIS draft you don't wait. That happens with teams every year. Do you not know that? If a team is desperately in need of OL and the upcoming draft is weak in that area.....don't you think the GM will recognize that before the draft and maybe try to go the FA route to fill their needs for the upcoming season.......with an eye on the following years draft to pick OL? That's GM 101.

You absolutely can wait a year on a QB if you don't think there is one worth taking this year. I don't think Malik Willis will have a career that, when it's over, will be worth a pick anywhere in the first 3-4 rounds of this draft. I see him as being a career backup, at best. If I were GM I would take him off my board until Round 4. If you have a different opinion of him good for you.

As I've said about 39 times already.....I'll root for the kid to be great if the Lions take him, but I will NOT be happy with the pick if they do.

Last edited:
The Lions need linebackers, corners, receivers, edge, safety, and better depth everywhere. No fan of Goff but QB would not be the highest need for me. Gambling on a rookie QB in a less-than-stellar class when there are giant gaping holes everywhere on the roster seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Waiting a year helps our future cap too. 4 cheap QB years starting in 2023 plus better QBS. Plus a 5th year option. So under contract through 2027. Willis would be 2026 on 5th year. However, we might have to give up extra draft capital to move up for a QB next year. So that is a big downside too to get a "better" QB. It's unknown really if Stroud or Young will be better than Willis. Howell was the slam dunk number 1 and
Rattler from Oklahoma was a "top QB" too. We will see how it pans out

With Willis, it would be one pick and that is it. I think Willis is boom or bust and developmental though but Lions can afford to have him sit a year too. Or a different QB at 32

But I think most on this board think KT is a better prospect. I'm sure if Willis is a great QB the hindsight whining will occur by 2023/2024

Waiting a year helps our future cap too. 4 cheap QB years starting in 2023 plus better QBS. Plus a 5th year option. So under contract through 2027. Willis would be 2026 on 5th year. However, we might have to give up extra draft capital to move up for a QB next year. So that is a big downside too to get a "better" QB. It's unknown really if Stroud or Young will be better than Willis. Howell was the slam dunk number 1 and
Rattler from Oklahoma was a "top QB" too. We will see how it pans out

With Willis, it would be one pick and that is it. I think Willis is boom or bust and developmental though but Lions can afford to have him sit a year too. Or a different QB at 32

But I think most on this board think KT is a better prospect. I'm sure if Willis is a great QB the hindsight whining will occur by 2023/2024

What good is cap space when you have a organization nobody wants to come to? Our cap space will never matter until we build a winning culture.

The Lions need linebackers, corners, receivers, edge, safety, and better depth everywhere. No fan of Goff but QB would not be the highest need for me. Gambling on a rookie QB in a less-than-stellar class when there are giant gaping holes everywhere on the roster seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

Goff is a proven disappointment. We won?t win 7+ games in a season as long as he?s our QB.

What good is cap space when you have a organization nobody wants to come to? Our cap space will never matter until we build a winning culture.

don't be so negative. This off season the Lions signed WR DJ Chark, TE Garrett Griffin, CB Mike Huges, LB Chris Board, LB Jarrad Davis.

Basically, a WR the Jags didn't want, 3 guys I have never heard of, and a shitty LB that even the Lions didn't want. :clap::lmao:

Reactions: 503
Goff is a proven disappointment. We won?t win 7+ games in a season as long as he?s our QB.

I don?t disagree, but they also aren?t winning 7+ games with this defense, no matter who is QB.

I don?t disagree, but they also aren?t winning 7+ games with this defense, no matter who is QB.

Agreed. Unless the rookie defensive players we add all play really well, there is no reason to think this defense will be much improved.

Agreed. Unless the rookie defensive players we add all play really well, there is no reason to think this defense will be much improved.

I think there is reason besides just the rookies

Coaching. Glenn and Pleasant and Shepphard can do good things and actually develop players

Onwuzurike and McNeil can get better from rookies. McNeil was already solid. Brockers even too has played better. Barnes has more to go but there is a spot open for him. I think the switch to more 4-3 looks will help all 3 of them too.

Return of Romeo Okwara is a big time pass rush boost. Harris is a good pass rusher too and Julian Okwara had a great pass rush grade in less snaps. I think they still add KT though for that game changer long term

Okudah a wild card but is a talent return too. Development of Ife and Parker and AO and Okudah. Will be nice to see the CBs all healthy together. Mike Hughes was solid for KC last year too and can play outside or the slot too. He is a former 1st round pick. Is he the next Charles Harris reclamation for this defense

ILB is a problem with Anzalone, Davis, Board and Barnes. However, if they do add someone, LB is a spot where a rookie can play well right away. Same with safety to pair with Walker

The defense can be solid especially if they add KT, Safety at 32 or 34 and ILB at like 66

If it crashes and burns again there will still be hope with Romeo, Charles Harris, KT, Tracy Walker, McNeil, Levi, 2022 rookie safety and 2022 rookie LB for development for the future. And we would see on CB, more DT depth and a game changing ILB for 2023

of course...if EVERYTHING goes perfect, they might be better.

They are better if 2 of those things go well. Plus the draft since Holmes appears to be able to draft well. Not saying a top 10 defense. But solid enough. Especially if this offense looks like it did at the end of the season plus Chark, Ragnow etc.

Probably 6-7 wins but there is talent there for more especially with this "easier" schedule

They are better if 2 of those things go well. Plus the draft since Holmes appears to be able to draft well. Not saying a top 10 defense. But solid enough. Especially if this offense looks like it did at the end of the season plus Chark, Ragnow etc.

Probably 6-7 wins but there is talent there for more especially with this "easier" schedule

By week 5 we?ll be reading about your excuses. Probably even sooner.

Draft better be mostly defense and one good Wr ! I?m sticking to this plan. If we can trade down and it makes sense and we can get more pieces is think this would help

I?m all for for darts at the NFL draft board.

Last edited:
I?m all for for darts at the NFL draft board.

I very honestly believe that if Millen had applied THIS strategy to his drafts we would have ended up with better players. Can you imagine if Oakland had taken Calvin Johnson instead of JaMarcus Russell?? We would have taken Aaron Curry.....LOL.

By week 5 we?ll be reading about your excuses. Probably even sooner.

Injuries
Refs
Weather
New OC
Concentrated Injuries
Too many field turf pellets
Biden
Russia
Bob Sagets death

Back