Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 Roster

detroit1811

So the majority of the draft is in the books. We have two more picks left, but odds are those guys will merely be depth. So what does this 2022 roster look like with what we have on the roster.

Offense
QB - Jared Goff
RB - DeAndre Swift, Jamaal Williams,
WR - Quintez Cephus, (Tyrell Williams), (Allen Robinson in FA)
TE - TJ Hockenson
LT - Taylor Decker, (Tyrell Crosby)
LG - Jonah Jackson
C - Frank Ragnow
RG - Vatai (Likely Cut)
RT - Sewell

Defense
DE - Romeo Okwara, Trey Flowers, Julian Okwara, Austin Bryant
DT - Michael Brockers, Levi Onwuzurike, Alim McNeil, John Penisini
LB'er - Jamie Collins (Likely Cut), Jahlani Tavai
CB - Jeff Okudah, Amani Oruwariye, Ifeatu Melifonwu, (Corn Elder)
S - Will Harris, (Tracy Walker), (Marcus Williams in FA)

P - (Jack Fox)

I would also guess that Jamie Collins and Vatai become cap casualties. I also think if Flowers has another year fighting injuries that he might be too. Looking at this our D-Line is set if we keep Flowers which means he had a big year, Our O-Line is also pretty set with some depth needed. Usually isn't too difficult to find a plug and play guard in the middle rounds of the draft or lower level FA.

Outside of that CB and RB could also be fairly complete outside of depth. We literally have nothing at LB'er, safety, and WR on the roster in 2022.

Jack Fox, Tracy Walker, Tyrell Crosby, JRM, Corn Elder, Quinton Dunbar, Dean Marlowe, Tyrell Williams, and Breshad Perriman are all 2022 free agents I would look into re-signing depending on how this season unfolds. Let's say we bring back Fox, Walker, Elder, Crosby, and Tyrell Williams.

With cutting Vatai and Collins without the re-signings you are looking at about 55mil in cap space if the cap sits around 210mil without adding the rookie contract we just drafted. That would be roughly an added 10mil which brings it down to 45mil. Add those re-signings in and it is probably another 10mil so lets say 35mil. Once you include the rollover that we will have from this year which will probably wind up being around 15mil that would put us around 50mil in cap space.

Can we build a playoff roster with what we currently have, plus 50mil in cap space and the following draft picks?

Round 1 (Top 10)
Round 1
Round 2 (Top 10)
Round 3 (Top 10)
Round 3 (Comp)
Round 4 (Top 10)
Round 5
Round 5 (Comp)
Round 6
Round 6 (Comp)
Round 7

I would target a #1 wideout (Detroit native Allen Robinson anyone?) and Marcus Williams who obviously has connections here and is probably going to be let go as they will still be cash strapped. I'm sure they could also fill in a LB'er or two and FA and work on the overall depth on the roster. Going into the draft I think we would be pretty set in the secondary and D-Line as far as needing instant starters. On offense we would basically just need a WR if we were rolling with Goff.

Just wanted to do this to kind of see where this roster stands after the draft. We are desperately lacking depth, but surprisingly are in pretty good shape at RB, O-Line TE, D-Line, and the secondary.

Options at lb in free agency?

Kwon Alexander would be a good fit. I still think we need a coverage LB also.

That got me thinking..... we?ve drafted 9 first and 2nd round LB?s since Spielman

Jarred Davis
Jelani Tavai
Ernie Sims
Boss Bailey
Teddy Lehman
Jordan Dizon
Barrett Green
Chris Claiborne

that is 8 1st and 2nd round LB?s that have been complete busts. That?s ridiculous. Claiborne was ok....but as the 9th overall pick....you?d expect a lot more.

Reggie Brown is the other. He was having a very good 2nd year when he was injured.

So the majority of the draft is in the books. We have two more picks left, but odds are those guys will merely be depth. So what does this 2022 roster look like with what we have on the roster.

Offense
QB - Jared Goff
RB - DeAndre Swift, Jamaal Williams,
WR - Quintez Cephus, (Tyrell Williams), (Allen Robinson in FA)
TE - TJ Hockenson
LT - Taylor Decker, (Tyrell Crosby)
LG - Jonah Jackson
C - Frank Ragnow
RG - Vatai (Likely Cut)
RT - Sewell

Defense
DE - Romeo Okwara, Trey Flowers, Julian Okwara, Austin Bryant
DT - Michael Brockers, Levi Onwuzurike, Alim McNeil, John Penisini
LB'er - Jamie Collins (Likely Cut), Jahlani Tavai
CB - Jeff Okudah, Amani Oruwariye, Ifeatu Melifonwu, (Corn Elder)
S - Will Harris, (Tracy Walker), (Marcus Williams in FA)

P - (Jack Fox)

I would also guess that Jamie Collins and Vatai become cap casualties. I also think if Flowers has another year fighting injuries that he might be too. Looking at this our D-Line is set if we keep Flowers which means he had a big year, Our O-Line is also pretty set with some depth needed. Usually isn't too difficult to find a plug and play guard in the middle rounds of the draft or lower level FA.

Outside of that CB and RB could also be fairly complete outside of depth. We literally have nothing at LB'er, safety, and WR on the roster in 2022.

Jack Fox, Tracy Walker, Tyrell Crosby, JRM, Corn Elder, Quinton Dunbar, Dean Marlowe, Tyrell Williams, and Breshad Perriman are all 2022 free agents I would look into re-signing depending on how this season unfolds. Let's say we bring back Fox, Walker, Elder, Crosby, and Tyrell Williams.

With cutting Vatai and Collins without the re-signings you are looking at about 55mil in cap space if the cap sits around 210mil without adding the rookie contract we just drafted. That would be roughly an added 10mil which brings it down to 45mil. Add those re-signings in and it is probably another 10mil so lets say 35mil. Once you include the rollover that we will have from this year which will probably wind up being around 15mil that would put us around 50mil in cap space.

Can we build a playoff roster with what we currently have, plus 50mil in cap space and the following draft picks?

Round 1 (Top 10)
Round 1
Round 2 (Top 10)
Round 3 (Top 10)
Round 3 (Comp)
Round 4 (Top 10)
Round 5
Round 5 (Comp)
Round 6
Round 6 (Comp)
Round 7

I would target a #1 wideout (Detroit native Allen Robinson anyone?) and Marcus Williams who obviously has connections here and is probably going to be let go as they will still be cash strapped. I'm sure they could also fill in a LB'er or two and FA and work on the overall depth on the roster. Going into the draft I think we would be pretty set in the secondary and D-Line as far as needing instant starters. On offense we would basically just need a WR if we were rolling with Goff.

Just wanted to do this to kind of see where this roster stands after the draft. We are desperately lacking depth, but surprisingly are in pretty good shape at RB, O-Line TE, D-Line, and the secondary.

The ONLY way it would even be remotely possible to build a playoff roster in 2022, with the core they have now, is for Goff to be a top 10-15 QB next year. If he is anything but that, they will most likely be looking for a QB with their top 5 pick and starting from scratch...with almost no chance for the playoffs in 2022.

2022 roster:
No WRs
No LBs...still
Need a stud DE... still
Need a starting safety... still
Need an upgrade at RG
Need an upgrade at QB

Roster is fucked...

2022 roster:
No WRs
No LBs...still
Need a stud DE... still
Need a starting safety... still
Need an upgrade at RG
Need an upgrade at QB

Roster is fucked...

St. Brown and Barnes but yes still need 2 WRs and one or two LBs
DE they have good ones in Flowers and Okwara both long term. Will see how they perform wit the new interior
Yes need a starting safety
RG depends on Vaitai
QB depends on Goff playing well or not with a stud Oline, run game, TE and decent WRs
Scheme improvement?

30 million in space next year or more (cutting Vaitai for Jamie Collins for instance) plus a draft with two 1st round picks, early 2nd and 3rd I'm sure

Can fill two LBs, two WRs, two safeties, RG with all of that.

Round 1 LB, Round 1 WR, Round 2 safety, Round 3 RG

FA WR and LB

Done and done

DE they have good ones in Flowers and Okwara both long term. Will see how they perform wit the new interior
RG depends on Vaitai
QB depends on Goff playing well or not with a stud Oline, run game, TE and decent WRs
Scheme improvement?

30 million in space next year or more (cutting Vaitai for Jamie Collins for instance) plus a draft with two 1st round picks, early 2nd and 3rd I'm sure

FA WR and LB

Done and done

and if Goff isn't good...

RG depends on Vaitai
Scheme improvement?

FA WR and LB

Done and done

DE i was assuming they cut Trey Flowers. He has a 2022 potential out. $23 mil cap hit to keep him or $12 mil dead cap if cut.

RD 1 grab Thibodeaux from Oregon at DE with your top 3 Lions pick. Grab WR with your end of round Rams pick.

DE i was assuming they cut Trey Flowers. He has a 2022 potential out. $23 mil cap hit to keep him or $12 mil dead cap if cut.

RD 1 grab Thibodeaux from Oregon at DE with your top 3 Lions pick. Grab WR with your end of round Rams pick.

No need to cut him since he is good and they have the cap space. But sure, cut Flowers, grab the young DE top 3 and then you have more FA money for a second good free agent LB.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/linebacker/

Darius Leonard. If not tagged, back the brinks truck up for him. Some other interesting FA LBs out there too

Maybe Flowers will be a better with some better players around him.

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/3/15/22332122/projecting-romeo-okwara-role-detroit-lions-defense

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021...rs-detroit-lions-free-agency-analysis-profile

Lions added more DTs than the LBs because they only play 2 LBS really and have a 3rd rush one (Okwara, Harris, Bryant). Barnes and Anzalone could play this role some too.

When they have more rush its both Okwaras on edges, Flowers, McNeil and Brockers all on Dline really inside techniques. Onwuzurike can spell Flowers or Brockers as can Hand or Nick Williams. And Onwuzurike gives us long term if shows well over Flowers. Hand and Williams walk next year unless super super cheap backup and play solid this year. All should give us more pass rush on the inside than we had in Patricias scheme, even the new nose in McNeil. Also remember when everyone complained about not planning ahead at DT, passing on Donald when we had Suh and Fairley. Now we are planning ahead with Onwuzurike and McNeil (who play two different positions) and Onwuzurike really can play two different roles. Not having 6th round pick Penisini be the starter is a good thing too. He showed some flashes and motor but is undersized.

When they have 2 LBs, Mike is Jamie Collins and Anzalone is Will inside off the ball. Barnes can do both rush edge and play off ball like he did at Purdue.

Nickel alot so Elder will need to step up and big nickel Ife make sense. We'll see how often they go 3 safety and if the new coaches with DB experience can help Harris. I'd still sign a vet safety as there are some out there and comp forumla no longer counts

Lions should have 3rd, 5th and 6th round comp picks next year depending on playing time.

Last edited:
Glenn announced a 3-4 base defense... which makes doubling up on DT more confusing.

Flowers levi brockers
Okwara2 collins anzalone okwara

McNeil should probably start at nose. Levi spells brockers.

Last edited:
Glenn announced a 3-4 base defense... which makes doubling up on DT more confusing.

Flowers levi brockers
Okwara2 collins anzalone okwara

McNeil should probably start at nose. Levi spells brockers.

Holmes said more Rams defense which is 3 dts often

If 3 4. Levi Mcneil Brockers dline. Williams and Hand backup des. Penisini backup nose

Can Flowers be a stand up olb. Possibly too

But seems to be rams d not full 3 4

Back