Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 Roster

Pretty spot on analysis. WR and S are glaring concerns. Tyrell and Perriman are terrible. Walker and Harris are terrible.

Not much help on the FA list at WR...possible we could pounce on camp cuts. Theres typically 1 or 2 quality #2s that get dropped.

Trade for Julio Jones...would you trade the Rams 1st for him. 2 years left on his contract.

Last edited:
Trade for Julio Jones...would you trade the Rams 1st for him. 2 years left on his contract.

I would if we were a 7ish win team that needed that extra push to be a 9-10 win team.

But we aren't.

And I wouldn't trade a 1st for him at this point. I know he's still good but they wouldn't be looking to deal him if he hadn't fallen off some.

Going back to the 2021 from SI or ? Lions' Day 1 Starter Projections:

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-2021-starter-projections

OFFENSE:

QB - Jared Goff
RB - D?Andre Swift
WR - Tyrell Williams
WR - Breshad Perriman
Slot - Amon-Ra St. Brown
TE - T.J. Hockenson
LT - Taylor Decker
LG - Jonah Jackson
C - Frank Ragnow
RG - Halapoulivaati Vaitai
RT - Penei Sewell

DEFENSE:

DE - Trey Flowers
NT - Alim McNeill
DT - Michael Brockers
OLB - Romeo Okwara
LB - Jamie Collins
LB - Alex Anzalone
OLB - Julian Okwara
CB - Jeff Okudah
SS ? Will Harris
FS- Tracy Walker
CB ? Amani Oruwariye

They say McNeill is true NT but where does Levi line up..

Added Info..

Breakdown (Offense): The Lions have a real solid group along the offensive line. In theory, it could create a very formidable rushing attack, which would make life much easier on Goff. Goff?s best years came with a solid rushing attack.

The concern is at the wideout position -- where the Lions may have the worst receiver talent in the NFL. Outside of the slot receiver spot, there doesn?t appear to be all that much debate on who should be the starter, though. St. Brown is NFL ready with his style of play, and his fourth-round status makes him a favorite to see plenty of playing time on the inside. There is always the chance that an inevitable injury or relative surprise player could force his way into the starting lineup somewhere, as well.

Lastly, it seems highly unlikely, but Holmes himself said Sewell would compete at right tackle. Barring a complete underwhelming performance in training camp, Sewell should be able to push Tyrell Crosby back into his more natural swing-tackle role.

BREAKDOWN (Defense): The defensive side of the ball isn?t nearly as clear-cut as the offense, mostly due to scheme flexibility and situational packages. There will be plenty of rotation, despite head coach Dan Campbell proclaiming a 3-4 base for the team's defense. The nickel package is probably the defense most used. Adding a slot corner, like Corn Elder, and taking off either a defensive lineman or a linebacker will probably be the most commonly used formation.

Along the defensive front, the Lions will likely use Flowers a lot more inside as a 5-tech, and rotate him to the more prototypical 4-3 defensive end or 3-tech position in even fronts. Same with Romeo Okwara. In the 3-4, he can stand up, and can serve as an outside linebacker as a pass-rusher. He can also line up as a 4-3 defensive end in those certain looks. His brother Julian also has some flexibility, but he seems like a more natural 3-4 outside linebacker in this supposed scheme.

As far as the interior defensive line, McNeill is a true nose tackle, with the versatility to move around. His skill set should give him the leg up to start. Prior to the draft, incumbent nose tackle John Penisini was the favorite for that role, but he is strictly a run-stuffing tackle who lines over the center or in the A-gap. The further out you go along the line, that leaves a bit of a logjam among Flowers, Brockers, second-rounder Levi Onwuzurike and the once-promising Da'Shawn Hand, depending on alignment.

The off-ball linebackers will also be swapped out plenty. More often than not, there will only be two on the field, which would leave Collins and Anzalone seeing a majority of the reps.

On the backend, safeties Tracy Walker and Will Harris both underwhelmed last season. Despite that, the Lions still didn?t address the need in the draft. Free-agent acquisition Dean Marlowe is a threat for Harris? job, if Harris doesn't improve.

Last but not least, let's look at the outside corners. It?s a two-person race between Okudah, Oruwariye and free-agent acquisition Quinton Dunbar. Given that it?s a rebuilding year and the Lions need to evaluate their younger talent, Dunbar should be the veteran reserve, unless either Okudah or Oruwariye really drop the ball.
? 2021

My least favorite part of this article is the fact that we have to debate whether the 3rd overall pick from 2020 can even be a starting NFL corner over Armani Oruwariye and Quinton Dunbar.

I really hope Okudah plays at another level this year....it would be like a nice early XMas present.

What's the cap hit for those 2 years if he was traded?

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/julio-jones-7721/

3 years left

Salary and no roster bonus. So those are the cap hits for him at 32, 33 and 34 year old

We are in a rebuild and he is as injured as much as Tyrell Williams

Could be out of luck injury wise or declined play in 2022 or 2023.

Could always work on a new deal or restructure some though too. But first wouldn't be worth it. The 1st rounder could be really good and in Lions control cheap 2022-2026

Last edited:
the team acquiring him has a hit of $18M in 2021 and $14M in 2022. Looks like Atlanta would have a cap hit in dead money of $15M in 2021, so it would save them $8M on 2021's cap.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/julio-jones-7721/

We would not take on the option bonus. That is from a restructure and not roster bonus. 15.3 cap hit for 2021

Atlanta would have dead cap hit of 23.25 million from the trade (5+5+5 million +2.75+2.75+2.75)

If they truly wanted Goff to succeed giving him a true #1 WR would help.

If they are in this for the long haul and want to rebuild thru the draft and a rookie QB in the next few years then i wouldnt expect them to pull the trigger on a deal like that.

One things for sure...Holmes is aggressive in getting guys he likes/wants.

If they truly wanted Goff to succeed giving him a true #1 WR would help.

If they are in this for the long haul and want to rebuild thru the draft and a rookie QB in the next few years then i wouldnt expect them to pull the trigger on a deal like that.

One things for sure...Holmes is aggressive in getting guys he likes/wants.

Its about the team long term not Goff. They think Goff can succeed eventually during the rebuild. 4 years left on his deal here

I think Goff 2021 if he looks even average they keep him around and build weapons next year more now that they got Oline/Dline in the mix

I agree with that it's LT not Goff and what Booger said.. If we needed that one guy then maybe yeah but I don't see why waste a draft pick for 4-5 win team? I doubt JJ would want to come to Detroit.

here I thought Swift was supposed to be some sort of stud. He isn't even expected to beat out GB's backup

Who knows what the carry % will be between the two. But it's not like Williams is a POS compared to Swift. Not a big difference in YPC or catching the ball. Williams was behind AARON JONES - Swift would have been too.

Back