Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 Roster

I always wanted to try a 3-4 here but don't you need quicker players than say Okwara to play as an OLB?

Maybe we can get a ILB somewhere. Outside the NT the most important position in a 3-4 the two ILB's.

It's safe to say we don't have the personnel for a 3-4 or a 4-3.

We aren't running either. We are running the Rams scheme. 3 DTs (two of which are bigger end types, 2 LB, 2 rush LBs that one can play DE too.

We aren't running either. We are running the Rams scheme. 3 DTs (two of which are bigger end types, 2 LB, 2 rush LBs that one can play DE too.

How do you know? Just because our GM is a former ram? The defensive coaches aren't former rams. Outside the secondary coach.

How do you know? Just because our GM is a former ram? The defensive coaches aren't former rams. Outside the secondary coach.

He said that is what they are trying to do. Mimic that defense.

DBs especially safeties will have some Saints concepts they said too.

But front 7 alignment is Rams

Last edited:
How about trying to sign K.J. Wright, former Seahawk. 32 now but has been a good player. I think he's still unsigned.

He said that is what they are trying to do. Mimic that defense.

DBs especially safeties will have some Saints concepts they said too.

But front 7 alignment is Rams

youre mimiking a defense that has Aaron Donald on it....with no Aaron Donald. Smart move morons.

youre mimiking a defense that has Aaron Donald on it....with no Aaron Donald. Smart move morons.

Not sure it works that way.. You can mimic the saints offense for example doesn't mean it wouldn't work because we have no Drew Brees. Patty in NE somewhere is probably mimicking our D. Okay bad example.

Trying to find one with Levi. Not just relying on Flowers. And we needed a nose tackle too and we got one with McNeil. So the draft makes a ton of sense going DT DT if they are happy with Okwaras as OLB and maybe Flowers and Harris some. Rams OLBs weren't big names until they got Floyd and not even the biggest name.

Trying to find one with Levi. Not just relying on Flowers. And we needed a nose tackle too and we got one with McNeil. So the draft makes a ton of sense going DT DT if they are happy with Okwaras as OLB and maybe Flowers and Harris some. Rams OLBs weren't big names until they got Floyd and not even the biggest name.

Campbell said on Sirius yesterday we will be running a base 3-4. IMO that puts McNeil at NT with Penisini backing him up. Brockers, Levi, and Hand are your 3-4 DE with maybe Nick Williams fighting with a couple other guys for the last spot or two. Flowers is probably a bit of a tweener playing at OLB'er on most downs and maybe dropping down to DE in passing situations. The two Okwara's along with Charles Harris and Austin Bryant are also OLB'ers. Barnes and Collins are your two starting ILB'ers with Anzalone and JRM backing them up. Tavai might have a role as he was a solid pass rusher from the LB'er role in college at least, but he could just as easily be cut. Please do not let him attempt to cover anyone.

I feel like I am being a bit of a slappy here, but if Levi and McNeil can be solid contributors in year 1 we could have an decent front 7. I understand the ILB would be suspect, but the rest could be pretty solid. I also really like our potential at CB this year with a great mix of young guys and veterans. I think safety is probably the biggest unknown and we would be wise to add someone like Tre Boston/Malik Hooker/Vacarro. In fact I wouldn't be mad if we added two of those guys as Walker and Marlowe are the only locks I see at safety.

If we added added some more defensive talent in free agency we could actually field a decent defense. Melvin Ingram is sitting out there and would add veteran depth, and Lynn was his coach for the last 4 years. Throw in Tre Boston and K.J. Wright/BJ Goodsen and I would be pretty happy with what they were able to do in one off-season.

Campbell said on Sirius yesterday we will be running a base 3-4. IMO that puts McNeil at NT with Penisini backing him up. Brockers, Levi, and Hand are your 3-4 DE with maybe Nick Williams fighting with a couple other guys for the last spot or two. Flowers is probably a bit of a tweener playing at OLB'er on most downs and maybe dropping down to DE in passing situations. The two Okwara's along with Charles Harris and Austin Bryant are also OLB'ers. Barnes and Collins are your two starting ILB'ers with Anzalone and JRM backing them up. Tavai might have a role as he was a solid pass rusher from the LB'er role in college at least, but he could just as easily be cut. Please do not let him attempt to cover anyone.

I feel like I am being a bit of a slappy here, but if Levi and McNeil can be solid contributors in year 1 we could have an decent front 7. I understand the ILB would be suspect, but the rest could be pretty solid. I also really like our potential at CB this year with a great mix of young guys and veterans. I think safety is probably the biggest unknown and we would be wise to add someone like Tre Boston/Malik Hooker/Vacarro. In fact I wouldn't be mad if we added two of those guys as Walker and Marlowe are the only locks I see at safety.

If we added added some more defensive talent in free agency we could actually field a decent defense. Melvin Ingram is sitting out there and would add veteran depth, and Lynn was his coach for the last 4 years. Throw in Tre Boston and K.J. Wright/BJ Goodsen and I would be pretty happy with what they were able to do in one off-season.

Our biggest gap remains the same. 3rd down passing defense. We dont have the elite edge rusher (Yes, i know Okwara got 10 sacks last year for the first time in his career....hes not an elite edge rusher). We have 0 cover LBs. Remains to be seen if we have a S that can cover....Will Harris is awful at it...tracy is just ok. So regardless if the talent is better in the front 7 i still think we have a problem stopping teams on 3rd down. The hope is that in a base 3-4 you can get some penetration up the middle with Brockers, Levi and McNeil....from what i seen in the NFL in all the years ive watched is you really shouldnt rely much on getting penetration from your 300 lb DTs unless your name is Aaron Donald.

Last edited:
Our biggest gap remains the same. 3rd down passing defense. We dont have the elite edge rusher (Yes, i know Okwara got 10 sacks last year for the first time in his career....hes not an elite edge rusher). We have 0 cover LBs. Remains to be seen if we have a S that can cover....Will Harris is awful at it...tracy is just ok. So regardless if the talent is better in the front 7 i still think we have a problem stopping teams on 3rd down. The hope is that in a base 3-4 you can get some penetration up the middle with Brockers, Levi and McNeil....from what i seen in the NFL in all the years ive watched is you really shouldnt rely much on getting penetration from your 300 lb DTs unless your name is Aaron Donald.

It's going to be a bad yea.. Another offseason and another draft and then we'll see.

Do you know Amon-Ra St. Brown dad John was a former Mr. Universe? Anyway I just found out.

I do think both Okwara and Flowers are not elite pass rushers, but are very good pass rushers. I would hope that combo would offset the lack of a dominant pass rusher a little bit. If we added another very good pass rusher in Ingram or Julian took a step forward I think we would have a solid pass rush. Not saying top 10, but a whole hell of a lot better then anything we have trotted out there in a long time. I think Collins is a better coverage LB'er then you are giving him credit for. He has shown for much of his career he can be a pretty good coverage LB'er. Hopefully he still has something left. I do think both Anzalone and JRM project more as nickel LB'ers and hopefully one of those guys can step up in that role, but that is a major unknown. Safety though is scary. If Walker doesn't rebound, our best safety has been mostly a career backup and there isn't much room for hope behind those two.

I am going to just hope that Aaron Glenn and Aubrey Pleasant are good enough to coach these guys up so we are at least better then last year, because we didn't really add any talent at safety (Harmon for Marlowe).

Back