Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2022 Roster

Also with the big guys we added up front I hope we are better at stopping the run so when we get to 3rd down its not 3rd and 5 or less all the time. Seemed like we never stopped anyone for a loss when they ran the ball last year, always putting them in favorable down and distance.

I do think both Okwara and Flowers are not elite pass rushers, but are very good pass rushers. I would hope that combo would offset the lack of a dominant pass rusher a little bit. If we added another very good pass rusher in Ingram or Julian took a step forward I think we would have a solid pass rush. Not saying top 10, but a whole hell of a lot better then anything we have trotted out there in a long time. I think Collins is a better coverage LB'er then you are giving him credit for. He has shown for much of his career he can be a pretty good coverage LB'er. Hopefully he still has something left. I do think both Anzalone and JRM project more as nickel LB'ers and hopefully one of those guys can step up in that role, but that is a major unknown. Safety though is scary. If Walker doesn't rebound, our best safety has been mostly a career backup and there isn't much room for hope behind those two.

I am going to just hope that Aaron Glenn and Aubrey Pleasant are good enough to coach these guys up so we are at least better then last year, because we didn't really add any talent at safety (Harmon for Marlowe).

Agreed on all of this. We have good rushers. The DTs talent wise should be better rushers and it makes sense taking two DTs with a 3-4 line if Flowers can be OLB at times. All 3 lineman need to be DT types even the DEs. Collins and Anzalone and JRM can all cover. Plus a new scheme that should in theory be better (how could it get worse)

Safety they need to add a vet (Hooker, Boston or Vaccaro). I think the rookie Ife could be big slot though to lesson the use of 3 safeties. Marlowe did well and gets a shot. I have seen Walker play much better and now in theory better coaching. Also contract year for both of them makes them play a bit harder too.

He is in college still I believe

It says he was a senior last year. It looks like he sucked. So does his older brother that plays for GB.

Lions fans better hope that the Lions picked the best St Brown

It says he was a senior last year. It looks like he sucked. So does his older brother that plays for GB.

Lions fans better hope that the Lions picked the best St Brown

Runs good routes. Lacks top end speed. Great hands. Quick enough to get open quick and be a good possession receiver in the NFL....thats about it.

Im interested to see what our offense looks like....not excited...interested. St Brown could make an immediate impact in the slot. Does Cephus see the field over Perriman?

from what I heard about him is he is a pretty good WR.

I think the offense is going to blow. I think Williams and Perriman are shitty #2's / good #3 WRs. TJ might be good, but he isn't going to carry the passing game. Goeff is decent, worse than Matt. Swift may be good, but we don't know yet.

The defense is probably going to be bottom 1/2 of the league...likely bottom 1/3.

I am tempted to target Swift in my fantasy draft. He should get a lot of work early, until the game is out of reach and they need to become pass happy. He may get a bunch of dump offs too. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd pick in a fantasy draft?

Runs good routes. Lacks top end speed. Great hands. Quick enough to get open quick and be a good possession receiver in the NFL....thats about it.

Im interested to see what our offense looks like....not excited...interested. St Brown could make an immediate impact in the slot. Does Cephus see the field over Perriman?

That's about it? Good routes, great hands, good possession receiver.. You just described Larry Fitzgerald.

That's about it? Good routes, great hands, good possession receiver.. You just described Larry Fitzgerald.

think more a younger golden tate. Larry Fitgerald was a true #1 th first decade he was in the league. Amon-Ra isnt that.

Fitz was 6-3 225 and ran a 4.48 coming out of college.... St Brown ran a 4.51, so similar speed but Fitz was a big and fast outside receiver coming into the league unlike St Brown who is 5-11 barely 200 pounds... Feel like the Golden Tate comparison is way more accurate, except Tate was a little faster and St. Brown a little bit stronger.

Fitz was 6-3 225 and ran a 4.48 coming out of college.... St Brown ran a 4.51, so similar speed but Fitz was a big and fast outside receiver coming into the league unlike St Brown who is 5-11 barely 200 pounds... Feel like the Golden Tate comparison is way more accurate, except Tate was a little faster and St. Brown a little bit stronger.

It was based on the fact he mentioned the Route, hands, not top speed.. Which is a Gerald Fitzgerald type. Obvious Fitz is much bigger.

I?ve seen a few Robert Woods comparisons for St Brown and that would make sense considering Brad Holmes just watched that guy blow up with Goff as his QB. Makes sense to get him the type of WR that he likes.

The guy is a 4th round pick and hasn?t even sniffed an NFL training camp. Let?s hold off on the comparisons to future Hall of Farmers and All Pros. We?ll be lucky if he?s a starter next year.

The Lions got faster on offense with the 2021 offseason additions

https://sports.yahoo.com/lions-got-faster-offense-2021-132424468.html

Here are the top-5 rankings:

1. NYG: 4.418
2. WFT: 4.422
3. DET: 4.436
4. ATL: 4.448
5. MIA and KC: 4.450

Detroit added speedsters Kalif Raymond (4.34 40) and Breshad Perriman (4.25) at wideout and lost players like Kenny Golladay (4.5) and Danny Amendola (4.58) who timed slower.

Speed isn?t everything, of course. No one would argue that the Lions have gotten better at the offensive skill positions with losing Golladay, Amendola, Marvin Jones and Adrian Peterson among others. But they have indeed gotten faster.

Alim McNeill chose #54, he just turned 21 today. Not sure what other numbers our draftees chose.

Going back to the 2021 from SI or ? Lions' Day 1 Starter Projections:

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/lions-2021-starter-projections

OFFENSE:

QB - Jared Goff
RB - D?Andre Swift
WR - Tyrell Williams
WR - Breshad Perriman
Slot - Amon-Ra St. Brown
TE - T.J. Hockenson
LT - Taylor Decker
LG - Jonah Jackson
C - Frank Ragnow
RG - Halapoulivaati Vaitai
RT - Penei Sewell

DEFENSE:

DE - Trey Flowers
NT - Alim McNeill
DT - Michael Brockers
OLB - Romeo Okwara
LB - Jamie Collins
LB - Alex Anzalone
OLB - Julian Okwara
CB - Jeff Okudah
SS ? Will Harris
FS- Tracy Walker
CB ? Amani Oruwariye

They say McNeill is true NT but where does Levi line up..

Added Info..

Breakdown (Offense): The Lions have a real solid group along the offensive line. In theory, it could create a very formidable rushing attack, which would make life much easier on Goff. Goff?s best years came with a solid rushing attack.

The concern is at the wideout position -- where the Lions may have the worst receiver talent in the NFL. Outside of the slot receiver spot, there doesn?t appear to be all that much debate on who should be the starter, though. St. Brown is NFL ready with his style of play, and his fourth-round status makes him a favorite to see plenty of playing time on the inside. There is always the chance that an inevitable injury or relative surprise player could force his way into the starting lineup somewhere, as well.

Lastly, it seems highly unlikely, but Holmes himself said Sewell would compete at right tackle. Barring a complete underwhelming performance in training camp, Sewell should be able to push Tyrell Crosby back into his more natural swing-tackle role.

BREAKDOWN (Defense): The defensive side of the ball isn?t nearly as clear-cut as the offense, mostly due to scheme flexibility and situational packages. There will be plenty of rotation, despite head coach Dan Campbell proclaiming a 3-4 base for the team's defense. The nickel package is probably the defense most used. Adding a slot corner, like Corn Elder, and taking off either a defensive lineman or a linebacker will probably be the most commonly used formation.

Along the defensive front, the Lions will likely use Flowers a lot more inside as a 5-tech, and rotate him to the more prototypical 4-3 defensive end or 3-tech position in even fronts. Same with Romeo Okwara. In the 3-4, he can stand up, and can serve as an outside linebacker as a pass-rusher. He can also line up as a 4-3 defensive end in those certain looks. His brother Julian also has some flexibility, but he seems like a more natural 3-4 outside linebacker in this supposed scheme.

As far as the interior defensive line, McNeill is a true nose tackle, with the versatility to move around. His skill set should give him the leg up to start. Prior to the draft, incumbent nose tackle John Penisini was the favorite for that role, but he is strictly a run-stuffing tackle who lines over the center or in the A-gap. The further out you go along the line, that leaves a bit of a logjam among Flowers, Brockers, second-rounder Levi Onwuzurike and the once-promising Da'Shawn Hand, depending on alignment.

The off-ball linebackers will also be swapped out plenty. More often than not, there will only be two on the field, which would leave Collins and Anzalone seeing a majority of the reps.

On the backend, safeties Tracy Walker and Will Harris both underwhelmed last season. Despite that, the Lions still didn?t address the need in the draft. Free-agent acquisition Dean Marlowe is a threat for Harris? job, if Harris doesn't improve.

Last but not least, let's look at the outside corners. It?s a two-person race between Okudah, Oruwariye and free-agent acquisition Quinton Dunbar. Given that it?s a rebuilding year and the Lions need to evaluate their younger talent, Dunbar should be the veteran reserve, unless either Okudah or Oruwariye really drop the ball.
? 2021

Back