Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

2023 Off-Season Thread

Let?s all be real about our secondary, CBs. Yes we addressed it, but was it done in the right way.

Sutton, good signing. Average #1 CB in the NFL.

Moseley our #2 CB is coming back from a torn ACL. He?s played in over 12 games once in 5 seasons. Good chance we get under 10 games from him. No excuse, we knew this when we signed him.

CJ Gardner? Great signing but the guy is a Safety.

Branch?good pick but he?s a Safety

Guys?We have ONE reliable CB on the roster w no depth behind him. When one or two of our starting CBs get hurt, we can?t use that as an excuse.

CGJ is a proven slot CB. Walker and Joseph are the safeties. Branch is a slot CB or safety and great depth. Sutton and Moseley are good CBs not average. And Jacobs and Will Harris were the starters last year so that makes them good depth

Good starting CBs, good starting nickel, good starting safeties and good depth

CGJ is a proven slot CB. Walker and Joseph are the safeties. Branch is a slot CB or safety and great depth. Sutton and Moseley are good CBs not average. And Jacobs and Will Harris were the starters last year so that makes them good depth

Good starting CBs, good starting nickel, good starting safeties and good depth

Good! So that means when an injury happens, we don?t have to hear your injury excuse. You said it, we have good depth!

This from the guy who wanted to give Lamar Jackson $250M when he has missed 30% of each of the last 2 seasons AND the playoffs.

Sutton. Moseley. Jacobs. Lucas. Harris. While I do NOT love that group....there are solid players there and I have read a lot of good things about Lucas's off season. We'll see if that transfers to the playing field.

Add in Walker, CJGJ, Branch and Kirby and you have a group of guys that all have some coverage skills. That is clearly what they are targeting in a DB. Versatility. All 9 of the guys I mentioned are considered man coverage guys and the safetys in the group are all versatile safetys that lean much more toward coverage than traditional FS and SS.

There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't be hurt by losing 1 or 2 of their top CB's......but the Lions might actually be in a position to be LESS affected if that happens given the fact that so many of their guys can play M2M.

Lamar got his $250mil! Next

I agree w you, we added versatile players in the secondary. My point though, is how many of these versatile players can line up 80+% of the snaps as a true CB in the NFL? Mosley has played in over 12 games, one time, in his 5yr career, and coming back from a major injury. At some point, our ?versatile? safeties will be asked to start at the CB position. We know this heading into training camp and haven?t addressed it.

Good! So that means when an injury happens, we don?t have to hear your injury excuse. You said it, we have good depth!

We do have very good depth

All it took last year was injuries to Paschal, Cominksy, Harris, Romeo and Julian Okwara, Onwuzurike, and Houston on the practice squad ALL at the same time to ruin the depth on the Dline. Will we have that much bad luck again? We shall see. Let's see what Martin can do to help the DT depth behind McNeil and Buggs.

LB we added Campbell so now Barnes is 4th LB. I like that. Rodriguez is good depth now and Barnes is a great 4th LB and AA fits the Will better if Campbell can earn the MIKE job right away.

Jacobs and Harris and Branch is all good depth. Safety is little weak depth with Walker off the injury and CGJ/Branch needed in the slot alot but we will make due. If Walker got hurt again, CGJ could be safety and move Branch to the slot so it's good depth still

So yes last year having Jacobs and Harris and Okudah be the starters and Hughes the depth was a problem in 2022 at times but good at times too (20.2 PPG final 10 with an normal Dline health). And Jacobs was hurt early so it was AO (horrible season) early. Now we add Sutton and Moseley and CGJ and Branch. That's a huge upgrade with 4 new CBS. Even Moseley for 12 games and Jacobs for only 5 is a huge upgrade. Let's see what Moseley can give us before assuming. Sutton and CGJ alone is great. Moseley for whatever number of games is just icing on the cake. Branch coming in if CGJ gets hurt is just more icing. Then Harris is slot 3, backup CB 5 and Jacobs backup outside CB

Could Moseley and CGJ (he is not known for it) get hurt sure. But then it's Jacobs and Branch which we can still excel with. Jacobs, Okudah, Hughes and Harris got us 20.2 PPG allowed. If Sutton, CGJ and Moseley all got hurt, not only would that be incredibly unlucky, but the Lions could be fine with Jacobs(former starter), Harris (formers starter) and Branch (steal 2nd round pick) at CB with Walker and Joseph at safety. Most teams would be royally screwed if top 3 CBS went down. Lions would not be.

Last edited:
Lamar got his $250mil! Next

I agree w you, we added versatile players in the secondary. My point though, is how many of these versatile players can line up 80+% of the snaps as a true CB in the NFL? Mosley has played in over 12 games, one time, in his 5yr career, and coming back from a major injury. At some point, our ?versatile? safeties will be asked to start at the CB position. We know this heading into training camp and haven?t addressed it.

ACL tears are no longer major injuries.

And you missed the point on Lamar. But that's to be expected.

2023 NFL it's rare to find a guy who doesn't have an injury history. If teams didn't trust players with past injury histories they wouldn't be able to field a team. That's why depth is so important and we have that right now.

That's a good thing.

Yes, I would love to add more. I would have liked to keep Okudah or Mike Hughes...... or drafted Witherspoon or Gonzalez but both were gone when we picked (and I think a major reason WHY we traded out of 6 and panic drafted Campbell).

Grab the best players you can and hope and pray for the best. About all you can do these days.

Like this overall group a lot more than I did going in to last year.

The #Lions are sending a conditional 7th-round pick in 2026 (!) to the #Jaguars for K Riley Patterson.
Quote Tweet

Ari Meirov
@MySportsUpdate
?
11m
The #Lions are trading for #Jaguars K Riley Patterson, sending Jacksonville an undisclosed draft pick. Patterson is 43/49 on FGs and 52/53 on XPs over the last two seasons. He hit the game-winner in the playoff comeback vs the Chargers. Now back in Detroit.

running back David Montgomery suffered an unfortunate lower-leg injury during Thursday's practice session. The injury, according to reports, occurred while Montgomery was participating in individual drills, and he immediately showed signs of discomfort after making a cut. Subsequently, he left the practice field and did not return, seeking further evaluation and treatment inside the team's facility. There have not been any reports yet as to the severity of the injury.

running back David Montgomery suffered an unfortunate lower-leg injury during Thursday's practice session. The injury, according to reports, occurred while Montgomery was participating in individual drills, and he immediately showed signs of discomfort after making a cut. Subsequently, he left the practice field and did not return, seeking further evaluation and treatment inside the team's facility. There have not been any reports yet as to the severity of the injury.

It's starting early. This is not a good sign. The football gods have given us hope.......only to start snatching it away little by little.

Cardinals just released DHop?C?mon Holmes, go get us another #1 to pair w the All Pro talent St Brown!

Last edited:
Cardinals just released DHop?C?mon Holmes, go get us another #1 to pair w the All Pro talent St Brown!

He'll be 31 before the season starts......hasn't been a #1 since 2020 and hasn't had a healthy season since Amon Ra was at USC.

Veteran minimum deal. Sure. No harm in doing that. 1 year and $5M is the most I would give him.

I do think he would be a very good scheme fit, though.

I can see him in KC or Carolina.

He'll be 31 before the season starts......hasn't been a #1 since 2020 and hasn't had a healthy season since Amon Ra was at USC.

Veteran minimum deal. Sure. No harm in doing that. 1 year and $5M is the most I would give him.

I do think he would be a very good scheme fit, though.

I can see him in KC or Carolina.

OBJ signed a one year $15M contract with the Ravens coming off his second ACL injury. I know that the contract is considered to be an over pay, but my guess is Hopkins will get more than that

ESP Article about every team's off season.

What went right: The Lions rebuilt their secondary. The pass defense -- which ranked 32nd in QBR -- likely cost them a playoff spot last season. Aaron Glenn's unit was 11th in pressure rate, but the secondary cycled through players and didn't have a corner it trusted as a consistently reliable option.

General manager Brad Holmes noticed. Out went 2020 No. 3 pick Jeff Okudah, Mike Hughes and Amani Oruwariye, three of the team's top four corners. In their place? Holmes signed Cameron Sutton, who was a top-10 corner in coverage last season, per NFL Next Gen Stats data. C.J. Gardner-Johnson, who tied for the league lead in interceptions last season, was added to play safety and some slot corner. Emmanuel Moseley, a solid corner for the 49ers when healthy over the past few seasons, was brought in, and Brian Branch, who fell to the second round of the draft, gives Glenn another playmaker in the secondary. So yeah, Holmes addressed this team's biggest weakness.

What went wrong: Detroit otherwise repeatedly prioritized the league's least valuable positions. Secondary aside, it didn't do much in free agency. It let franchise spark plug Jamaal Williams leave and replaced him with David Montgomery on what is likely to be a two-year deal in the $12 million range; Montgomery has failed to average 4.0 yards per carry as a pro. Alex Anzalone, who has posted solid numbers in coverage over the past two seasons, was brought back on a similarly sized pact.

That would all be fine, but what happened next seemed to beggar belief. The Lions used their two first-round picks on players at those same positions; they traded down and used the 12th pick on running back Jahmyr Gibbs before taking off-ball linebacker Jack Campbell at No. 18. I covered how running backs have been low-ceiling, low-reward picks in my pre-draft piece on Bijan Robinson, while Campbell was the only off-ball linebacker drafted before the third round. It's difficult to imagine the Lions couldn't have addressed the position with Drew Sanders or Trenton Simpson later while using their first-rounder on a premium position, such as edge rusher.

Their second-round picks were at positions of need, but Holmes again went for some of the lowest-value positions in football in safety (Branch) and tight end (Sam LaPorta). The Lions didn't come out of this draft with an edge rusher to play across from Aidan Hutchinson or any other front seven help beyond Campbell. They did use a third-round pick on Hendon Hooker, who could replace Jared Goff in the long term if the team sours on its starting quarterback, but he is already 25 and is recovering from a torn ACL.

Even the additions in the secondary aren't quite as compelling as they might seem at first glance. Gardner-Johnson signed a one-year deal and didn't appear to have a significant multiyear market around the league after his breakout season in Philadelphia. Moseley, also on a one-year deal, has missed 22 games over the past three seasons with injuries. The Lions are unquestionably better in the secondary, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they were back in the cornerback market in 2024.

Remember: I'm basing this on what each team had to work with heading into the offseason. There were few teams in a more desirable spot than the Lions, who had cap flexibility and came into the draft with two first- and two second-round picks. They even added another second-rounder when they moved down in a deal with the Cardinals. Somehow, though, they came out of the offseason without adding a single player at a premium position.

Are the Lions likely to be better in 2023? Absolutely. They should be the favorites in the NFC North. In the long term, though, this was their best chance to add difference-makers over the next four to six years at positions that are hard to find in the later rounds of the draft or on the cheap in free agency. You might argue that Holmes didn't need to add a wide receiver or an offensive tackle -- and maybe Detroit is thrilled with Goff -- but we know that needs pop up at those positions quicker than you think. (Holmes' former employers in Los Angeles can attest to that.) Detroit does need long-term help on the edge and at cornerback, positions that went unaddressed here. I think the Lions hurt their chances of winning a title at the expense of building a better 22-man starting lineup for 2023.

What's left to do: Add an edge rusher. Rookie James Houston had eight sacks in just seven games last season, but the sixth-round pick doesn't have underlying numbers supporting that sort of production and I wouldn't want to count on him being that player in 2023. Romeo Okwara has played just nine games over two seasons while battling a torn Achilles. With Yannick Ngakoue and Frank Clark still available, I'd love to see the Lions bring in another pass-rusher.

Dhop just got released.

I would love to sign him, but only on a 1 year, prove it type deal.......and I doubt that's what he's going to be looking for.

He's a very good possession WR at this point in his career. Great 50/50 ball type. Would be a great fit in this scheme.....especially when Jameson gets back on the field. Can you imagine lining up Gibbs, LaPorta, DHop, ASB and JMo? That's an impossible cover.

I would love to sign him, but only on a 1 year, prove it type deal.......and I doubt that's what he's going to be looking for.

He's a very good possession WR at this point in his career. Great 50/50 ball type. Would be a great fit in this scheme.....especially when Jameson gets back on the field. Can you imagine lining up Gibbs, LaPorta, DHop, ASB and JMo? That's an impossible cover.

I don't think he will have a multi year deal at this point of the season. He will sign a 1 year deal. Will it be in Detroit? Depends on Holmes. If he likes him, we still have cap room. So I am saying there is a chance.

I don't think he will have a multi year deal at this point of the season. He will sign a 1 year deal. Will it be in Detroit? Depends on Holmes. If he likes him, we still have cap room. So I am saying there is a chance.

The more I read, the less likely it seems that DHop will be a Lion. Red flags all around this guy. Nothing MAJOR....but enough of them that I don't think Holmes/Campbell will want to bring him into their locker room.

I'd save the cap space for the trade deadline. The main reason the NFL has little to no activity at their trade deadline is that it very rarely works out that one of the teams has the cap space.

There is always going to be a team that underperforms.....or bad teams looking to move on from guys to add draft picks. Hold tight and see where you stand at week 8.

The more I read, the less likely it seems that DHop will be a Lion. Red flags all around this guy. Nothing MAJOR....but enough of them that I don't think Holmes/Campbell will want to bring him into their locker room.

I'd save the cap space for the trade deadline. The main reason the NFL has little to no activity at their trade deadline is that it very rarely works out that one of the teams has the cap space.

There is always going to be a team that underperforms.....or bad teams looking to move on from guys to add draft picks. Hold tight and see where you stand at week 8.

Has nothing to do w ?red flags?. Has everything to do w nobody wants to join the Lions over contending teams like KC & Buffalo, just to name 2.

There?s two reasons players sign w Det.
1 - nobody else is showing market interest.
2 - overpay

Hopefully it changes in the near future but we?re not an organization players hope to play for, we?re a team they settle with.

Has nothing to do w ?red flags?. Has everything to do w nobody wants to join the Lions over contending teams like KC & Buffalo, just to name 2.

There?s two reasons players sign w Det.
1 - nobody else is showing market interest.
2 - overpay

Hopefully it changes in the near future but we?re not an organization players hope to play for, we?re a team they settle with.

You're wrong. It has EVERYTHING to do with red flags. You just can't see it. There is ZERO evidence with this current regime that "nobody wants to come to the Lions". The only facts available points to just the opposite being true. FA's openly WANTING to come back. Marvin Jones WANTED to come back. Jamaal Williams WANTED to come back.

Back