Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Johnson HOF

Lions coach Buddy Parker deserves the HOF over Tom Flores.

Tom Flores 97-87-0. 83-53 with Oakland and 14-34 with Seattle. I think he was a scrub in KC super bowl title of 1969. He won 2 Super Bowls as head coach of the raiders and was 8-3 in postseason games.

Buddy Parker 104-75-9
With Detroit he was 47-23-2 with back to back Nfl titles and was in three championship games in a row. Lions were 3-1 on post season games under Parker. 2-1 in title games.
With Pittsburgh he was 51-47-6. Buddy was also a player in the 1935 Lions title team with I think more playing time then Flores as a player. Seems like Buddy has better stats then Tom.

Fun stat:. His rookie season in 1960 he had a passer rating of 71.8 and was the best in the league that season. QB play has come a long way.

HOF is such a joke. Terrell Owens had better stats, more of an impact and deep playoff runs....he has to wait 3 years most think because of his attitude. Calvin never wins a damn thing in his life...quits and then cries and whines...first ballot.

I think all HOF?s are a joke. They give in too easily. There shouldn?t be this extended period of time to be able to get in. Two years. Get enough votes but don?t quite make it.....you get one more shot. There is no reason there should be 5 or 6 or more chances to make it.

Accumulation of stats is a very overrated way to get in. Calvin was a sure 1st ballot to me because his prime was so dominant. Best WR in the game over a 5 year period (a long time in NFL skill player years). All time leader in yards in a season. Dominated even on a bad team. Widely respected. Good teammate.

You will never convince me a guy like Frank Gore belongs in the HOF. Never. Playing a long time is nice.....and Gore was a good RB......but he had one HOF season a A LOT of solid years for a long time. More yards than Barry.....but was never dominant, was rarely even very good. He is the Alan Trammell of football and belongs in the ?Hall of very good?.

HOF is such a joke. Terrell Owens had better stats, more of an impact and deep playoff runs....he has to wait 3 years most think because of his attitude. Calvin never wins a damn thing in his life...quits and then cries and whines...first ballot.

good lord you are one unhappy person. try more sun or something.

Last edited:
I think Longevity should play a role. 16000 yards and 80 TD's is a hall player for me. Certainly no Berry but those are good numbers. 9 times over 1000 yards, not many have done that.

Now Terrell Davis on the other Hand - I don't know what they were thinking.

I think all HOF?s are a joke. They give in too easily. There shouldn?t be this extended period of time to be able to get in. Two years. Get enough votes but don?t quite make it.....you get one more shot. There is no reason there should be 5 or 6 or more chances to make it.

Accumulation of stats is a very overrated way to get in. Calvin was a sure 1st ballot to me because his prime was so dominant. Best WR in the game over a 5 year period (a long time in NFL skill player years). All time leader in yards in a season. Dominated even on a bad team. Widely respected. Good teammate.

You will never convince me a guy like Frank Gore belongs in the HOF. Never. Playing a long time is nice.....and Gore was a good RB......but he had one HOF season a A LOT of solid years for a long time. More yards than Barry.....but was never dominant, was rarely even very good. He is the Alan Trammell of football and belongs in the ?Hall of very good?.

I don't think you could be more wrong about Gore.

#3 all time in rushing yards which is mostly due to longevity (which isn't a bad thing) but 4.3 yards per rush is the stat that makes you wrong.

How he compares to other HOF RBs

Emmitt Smith 4.2
Walter Payton 4.4
Curtis Martin 4.0
Tomlinson 4.3
Bettis 3.9
Dickerson 4.4
Dorsett 4.3

Between Tom Brady's 3rd Superbowl appearance and his 10th, Calvin Johnson has been drafted, retired, and made the Hall of Fame.

Calvin was a true game changer. But even game changers have trouble winning if the team is terrible even if he had a HOF QB from 2009-2015.

Things broke down for the Lions in 2012, 2013, 2015. Stafford injury 2010. Millen in 2007-2008. Millen mess rebuild in 2009. 2011, 2014 playoffs but lost road playoff game for various reasons (secondary injuries a big one against Saints plus HOF Brees in his prime and refs against Cowboys)

I don't think you could be more wrong about Gore.

#3 all time in rushing yards which is mostly due to longevity (which isn't a bad thing) but 4.3 yards per rush is the stat that makes you wrong.

How he compares to other HOF RBs

Emmitt Smith 4.2
Walter Payton 4.4
Curtis Martin 4.0
Tomlinson 4.3
Bettis 3.9
Dickerson 4.4
Dorsett 4.3

Did you ever think of Gore as one of the best 3 backs in football during his career?

I didn't.

so 1 year?

doesn't really sound like a HOF'er to me.

#3 all time rusher. 9 seasons with over 1000 yards. If you want to discount his accomplishment of being the #3 on the all time list for rushing yards because of longevity, his yards per rush are right up there with other HOF RBs.

Of the top 16 on the all time list, every one is in the HOF except for AP and Gore because they are both still active.

#16 on the list is Thurman Thomas with 12000 yards.

If Terrell Davis is in the HOF, Frank Gore should be first ballot

#3 all time rusher. 9 seasons with over 1000 yards. If you want to discount his accomplishment of being the #3 on the all time list for rushing yards because of longevity, his yards per rush are right up there with other HOF RBs.

Of the top 16 on the all time list, every one is in the HOF except for AP and Gore because they are both still active.

Not a fan of YPC as a metric for HOF. 4.3 is 75th career all time. And a lot of these players lasted more than 10 years. (+ sign = HOF)

Timmy Brown 4.3 1959-1968 3TM
Tony Dorsett+ 4.3 1977-1988 2TM
Ryan Grant 4.3 2007-2012 2TM
Lamar Miller 4.3 2012-2020 3TM
John Henry Johnson+ 4.3 1954-1966 4TM
Marshall Faulk+ 4.3 1994-2005 2TM
Lawrence McCutcheon 4.3 1972-1981 4TM
Bilal Powell 4.3 2011-2019 nyj
Walt Garrison 4.3 1966-1974 dal
Shaun Alexander 4.3 2000-2008 2TM
Ray Rice 4.3 2008-2013 rav
Isaiah Crowell 4.3 2014-2018 2TM
Alfred Morris 4.3 2012-2020 5TM
LaDainian Tomlinson+ 4.3 2001-2011 2TM
Barry Foster 4.3 1990-1994 pit
Jonathan Stewart 4.3 2008-2018 2TM
Earl Campbell+ 4.3 1978-1985 2TM
Chris Warren 4.3 1990-2000 3TM
Frank Gifford+ 4.3 1952-1964 nyg
Amos Marsh 4.3 1961-1967 2TM
Bob Hoernschemeyer 4.3 1946-1955 3TM
Corey Dillon 4.3 1997-2006 2TM
Chuck Muncie 4.3 1976-1984 2TM
Willie Parker 4.3 2004-2009 pit
John David Crow 4.3 1958-1968 2TM
Curtis Dickey 4.3 1980-1986 2TM
Frank Gore 4.3 2005-2020 5TM
Tom Woodeshick 4.3 1963-1972 2TM
Willie Ellison 4.3 1967-1974 2TM
Les Josephson 4.3 1964-1974 ram
Larry Csonka + 4.3 1968-1979 2TM
Reggie Bush 4.3 2006-2016 5TM
Kenneth Davis 4.3 1986-1994 2TM
Chris Ivory 4.3 2010-2018 4TM
Delvin Williams 4.3 1974-1981 3TM
Deuce McAllister 4.3 2001-2008 nor
Cookie Gilchrist 4.3 1962-1967 3T

Last edited:

See, that argument is a bad one to me.....and I get that this is all my opinion.....but a really good player like Gore was never GREAT or elite. He was good, really good.....and he played for a long time......but IMO the HOF should be for the best of the best.

16,000 yards or not....I've never thought of Gore as a great. It's the same argument I would have for a guy like Rusty Staub. Overall numbers are better than quite a few baseball HOF's. Nearly 3000 hits and 1500 RBI. Very close to 300 HR. But the guy played forever and was never thought of as a great. Very good. Not great. Should they put him in just because nearly everyone with more career hits is in? 90% of the players with more career RBI are in or will be in one day.....so because of that he should be in?? I think that is a weak argument.

Just my opinion.

I get that argument but you can't leave a 16000 guy out of the hall. You just can't.

See, that argument is a bad one to me.....and I get that this is all my opinion.....but a really good player like Gore was never GREAT or elite. He was good, really good.....and he played for a long time......but IMO the HOF should be for the best of the best.

16,000 yards or not....I've never thought of Gore as a great. It's the same argument I would have for a guy like Rusty Staub. Overall numbers are better than quite a few baseball HOF's. Nearly 3000 hits and 1500 RBI. Very close to 300 HR. But the guy played forever and was never thought of as a great. Very good. Not great. Should they put him in just because nearly everyone with more career hits is in? 90% of the players with more career RBI are in or will be in one day.....so because of that he should be in?? I think that is a weak argument.

Just my opinion.

It sounds like you want to change the criteria...because every HOF already has players in that were really good for a long time.

Maybe Emmitt Smith shouldn't be in because he wasn't best of his time. That was Berry.

Maybe Emmitt Smith shouldn't be in because he wasn't best of his time. That was Berry.

But you still thought of him as a great, right? As in, when you watched Dallas you thought about how good Emmitt Smith is.

You don't have to be THE best of your era.....but you should still be considered one of the elite.

It sounds like you want to change the criteria...because every HOF already has players in that were really good for a long time.

My point is GREATNESS. Calvin isn't in because of his overall numbers. He isn't. He's in because the peak of his career was so fucking good. He was DOMINANT. Couldn't be stopped. Even with no other viable weapon to play with, and blatant double and even triple coverage.....he put up historic numbers.

Good players with little or no HOF peak just don't do it for me. That's all. I know Gore will get in.....I would just have it a different way, thats all.

Back