Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Calvin Johnson HOF

If he turns the Rams into a legitimate contender like people are expecting then i think he does make the Hall.

If he fails miserably with that team then i think hes just the first in a long line of many who puts up a lot of yards in the new era passing league. He might be the first to get credit for it....but everyone is going to be putting up stats that compare to his.

Not necessarily. Good QBs that have a run game could have less passing yards. We'll see if some of these QBS last too. Like can Josh Allen does this for 15-20 years. He has one of 3 so far. Andrew Luck, there is another, retired quickly. Wentz, everyone loved him then had a dud. Derek Carr can he do it for long. Kirk Cousins? They are pretty far behind. Cam Newton has fizzled greatly too.

Other than Wilson

Rivers, Big Ben will be in. Eli doesn't deserve it but he will go. Rodgers no doubt.

Matt Ryan is faltering but has a chance if he rebounds

Wilson HOF but not for yards. Combo of efficiency and rushing

Stafford will be 5th or 6th in overall TDs. Maybe end up 8th-9th once Wilson, Watson, Maholmes passes him eventually. Carr, Cousins, Wentz, Dak aren't passing him. Goff has a chance too to pass him. Hot start some of 4 years, espceially first 2. Baker, Allen have alot more to prove too in their young careers

Rivers, Big Ben, Ryan, Eli (from Super Bowls but he is less than STafford stat wise), Wilson if obvious continues, Watson if obvious continues, Maholmes no doubt, Rodgers no doubt, Matt Ryan based on stats and Stafford based on stats can all get in. Then Josh Allen, Goff and Baker have more to prove.

Last edited:
?I?m definitely going to bring up a lot of people that I?m thankful for,? Johnson said Friday, via Clark Judge of Talk of Fame Network. ?There are so many people during my career that had an impact and those specific people I?m going to try (thank) . . . at least I have them on the ticker. But I?m not going to mention everybody. As far as the Lions, hey, I got nothing to say.?

https://sports.yahoo.com/calvin-johnson-thanking-lions-hall-211555918.html

Last edited:
?I?m definitely going to bring up a lot of people that I?m thankful for,? Johnson said Friday, via Clark Judge of Talk of Fame Network. ?There are so many people during my career that had an impact and those specific people I?m going to try (thank) . . . at least I have them on the ticker. But I?m not going to mention everybody. As far as the Lions, hey, I got nothing to say.?

https://sports.yahoo.com/calvin-johnson-thanking-lions-hall-211555918.html

I really loved watching CJ play football. The single most skilled WR ever?.IMO. But his immature stance since he left pisses me off. It?s not the fact he?s pissed?.that?s fine. But he handles it like an irrational teenage girl.

Last edited:
I really loved watching CJ play football. The single most skilled WR ever?.IMO. But his immature stance since he left pisses me off. It?s not the fact he?s pissed?.that?s fine. But he handles it like an irrational teenage girl.

Can't really fault the guy. Sure, anyone who retires in similar situation also pays back some of their G money. But...

How many hits to the head did he take due to Stafford hanging him out to dry? Granted Stafford was not as bad at that as, say, Peyton Manning, but you know CJ took some hits thanks to Matt "having the confidence to throw into tight windows" (thought you would appreciate getting Matty back into the thread). Remember CJ in the beginning also had worse QBs leading him to some bad hits while not playing under the flag football rules that existed later. Dude took multiple hard hits to the head.

Or maybe he is showing us who he really is.

Last edited:
Can't really fault the guy. Sure, anyone who retires in similar situation also pays back some of their G money. But...

How many hits to the head did he take due to Stafford hanging him out to dry? Granted Stafford was not as bad at that as, say, Peyton Manning, but you know CJ took some hits thanks to Matt "having the confidence to throw into tight windows" (thought you would appreciate getting Matty back into the thread). Remember CJ in the beginning also had worse QBs leading him to some bad hits while not playing under the flag football rules that existed later. Dude took multiple hard hits to the head.

Then get Stafford to return money to organization. If a guy retires and he collected bonus money he should return it. Certainly didn't earn it.

1. Pretty sure CJ knew he played football for a living.....and getting hung out to dry is not something specific to Matthew Stafford. WR's in the NFL take hits to the head. A lot of his "beating" came due to the type of WR he is....big and physical. That would have been the same regardless of the Quarterback.

2. Some of those "confidence into tight window" throws made CJ some money, as well.

3. He retired before his contract was up. Part of that signing was for the life of the contract. He didn't fulfill it. I bet if he made a counter offer to appear on the Lions behalf a few times they would have let him keep it. He didn't. Instead he pouted like a little kid and proceeds to be butt hurt about it.

Then get Stafford to return money to organization. If a guy retires and he collected bonus money he should return it. Certainly didn't earn it.

Staff was traded and part of that trade was Detroit being extra compensated as opposed to Rams getting more.

Plus the trade was done by the organization. CJ made a personal decision. Big difference.

I don't think he was the most skilled...he was just a physical freak.

Most physically gifted ever...maybe. Most skilled, no.

Staff was traded and part of that trade was Detroit being extra compensated as opposed to Rams getting more.

Plus the trade was done by the organization. CJ made a personal decision. Big difference.

Read the room as they say. Or the context of the quoted response.

Read the room as they say. Or the context of the quoted response.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what the point is you are trying to make here.

Stafford and CJ left the Lions under extremely different scenarios that should not be equated in any fashion other than they are no longer on the Lions Active Roster. CJ retired as a Lion and therefore still is a Lion. Stafford is now with the Rams, but still on an active roster. There is nothing remotely relatable between the two outside of them no longer being on the Lions Active Roster.

Anyone attempting to equate anything about their departures beyond that is pursuing a false equivalency and therefore making comments that are flawed in their very foundation.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what the point is you are trying to make here.

Stafford and CJ left the Lions under extremely different scenarios that should not be equated in any fashion other than they are no longer on the Lions Active Roster. CJ retired as a Lion and therefore still is a Lion. Stafford is now with the Rams, but still on an active roster. There is nothing remotely relatable between the two outside of them no longer being on the Lions Active Roster.

Anyone attempting to equate anything about their departures beyond that is pursuing a false equivalency and therefore making comments that are flawed in their very foundation.
It was in response to "How many hits to the head did he take due to Stafford hanging him out to dry?"

It was a joke.

Back