Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

dee milliner? probably not

Bentley, Bartell, Green and Greenwood with a good chance Houston will re-sign. Lots of CBs in free agency too if they don't get Houston back. CBs 2-4 I'm not worried about, it's that number 1 CB.

Taking Milliner and losing Houston makes us worse than last year IMO.

I think Werner could do what Avril did maybe with better run defense. Any DE does better than what KVB did. Give me Lo Jack back cheap and Willie Young in a rotation to replace KVB. And continue to develop Ronnel Lewis.

CHAMPIONSHIP! bartell Bentley green greenwood lojack willie young and ronnell lewis = fucking win! We were the worst defense in the division last year and you want to replace our starters with our back ups...brilliant.

lol even hating on mayhew for the chris houston contract...dude..chris thought he was worth more than what the lions were offering..once he went into free agency..noone really showed much interest..so he returned

The winner. He thought he was worth a ton. So 'Hughes, would you have been happy if Mayhew offered 3 times as much?

The winner. He thought he was worth a ton. So 'Hughes, would you have been happy if Mayhew offered 3 times as much?

I would have been happy if we would have drafted a cb the last 3 years to develop and replace him if you werent going to sign him long term. now were left with scraps. he sucks at his job....its obvious.

yep...I am...especially cause the genious made it so short and hasnt done squat to bring anyone that can replace him once his SHORT contract expired. Not to mention it expired the same year as 7 other people on the defense.....i swear everyone in our upper mgmt. is brain dead.

Well hell we brought everyone back but wright last year and look what happened. I think some fresh faces will be nice. It's hard to be much worse.

Well hell we brought everyone back but wright last year and look what happened. I think some fresh faces will be nice. It's hard to be much worse.

Id be on board....but we dont have the cap room to completely overhaul the team. Funny we need 12 starters and have no cap room. Clear sign they have no idea what theyre doing.

Id be on board....but we dont have the cap room to completely overhaul the team. Funny we need 12 starters and have no cap room. Clear sign they have no idea what theyre doing.

MM (Press conference March 12 MM steps up to the mic)-
Good news everyone! We're going to sign a lot of players in Free Agency!

Random Assistant (Putting his had over the mic, pulls MM aside, audible whisper)-
Ummm...Mr. Mayhew we're like $3 Mil under the cap.

MM (audible whisper) -
Ahhh...ok umm...like 20 of our OWN players are free agents, we can at least re-sign them, can't we?

RA (audible whisper)-
Well not the good ones.

MM (louder whisper, shaken)-
But some, we can sign some right.

RA (exasperated) -
Yeah, but only the ones that suck.

MM (exasperated)-
OK then.

MM (back to the mic, awkward smile)-
Good news everyone! We're going to sign a lot of players in Free Agency!

I think it's a clear sign that this team had 3 top 2 picks in a 4 year span when the rookie pay scale was at it's highest.

If Suh and Stafford were drafted under the current CBA the Lions would have around another 15 million in Cap Space. If not more.

Lmao. If this truly is a make it or break it year for mayhew...hes fucked. Im going to throw the biggest party when that douche is out of a job!

I think it's a clear sign that this team had 3 top 2 picks in a 4 year span when the rookie pay scale was at it's highest.

If Suh and Stafford were drafted under the current CBA the Lions would have around another 15 million in Cap Space. If not more.

3 high priced players doesnt handicap your team....just about every team in the league has that. Not to mention that argument doesnt hold water cause theyve all restructured/extended since their 1st contract....so if the numbers are asinine its because mayhew and lewand chose them to be.

3 high priced players doesnt handicap your team....just about every team in the league has that. Not to mention that argument doesnt hold water cause theyve all restructured/extended since their 1st contract....so if the numbers are asinine its because mayhew and lewand chose them to be.

Uhh yeah it does. Name one other team with 3 high caliber players with contracts as high as theirs. The rookie cap just happened too late. They'll be in this mess for a little while.

Uhh yeah it does. Name one other team with 3 high caliber players with contracts as high as theirs. The rookie cap just happened too late. They'll be in this mess for a little while.

Last Year?

Broncos

Manning $18M
Dumervil $18M
Bailey $11M

I'm sure there is more if keep looking. Other teams have 2 top players in the top 25 highest paid NFL athletes, Vikings, Rams, Bucs; and I am sure much more with multiple double digit millionaires. We don't draft for need (or worth a shit) and have a ton of overpaid vets KVB, Burleson, Raiola, Scheffler, Backus soon to be Reggie Bush etc. etc.

Every team has that. But most teams also have them top 3 contracts on guys who have performed. Guys who aren't on rookie deals and have proven their worth. Guys like Stafford and Suh got that money before they even played a snap in the NFL. That's the way the rookie scale was before the new CBA. Stafford is a top 5 paid QB in the NFL. Is he a top 5 QB in the NFL? Hell No. Suh is getting paid as if he were a top 5 defensive player in the NFL. Is he? Hell no. The Lions didn't have a choice there. They were top 2 picks...they had to pay them like that. Thing is them 2 are being paid like that on rookie contracts. Andrew Luck got 4 years and a little over 22 million. They get to pay him a little over 5 million for a total of 4 years. Stafford got 6 years 70 million. They get to pay him an average of 12 million a year. Suh got 5 years 60 million.

While Johnson has lived up to his contract. They still shouldn't of had to pay him the money they did when he first came into the league. Some random team can draft the next Johnson this year and they wont even pay the player half of what Johnson got on his rookie contract.

They had no choice in paying them guys. It was the rookie pay scale then. Like I said we're talking about 15 million in cap space this year...but it wouldn't only be this year it would be in tell 2016. If them 2 were drafted under the new CBA it would of saved the Lions around 90-100 million in 6 years.

Every team has that. But most teams also have them top 3 contracts on guys who have performed. Guys who aren't on rookie deals and have proven their worth. Guys like Stafford and Suh got that money before they even played a snap in the NFL. That's the way the rookie scale was before the new CBA. Stafford is a top 5 paid QB in the NFL. Is he a top 5 QB in the NFL? Hell No. Suh is getting paid as if he were a top 5 defensive player in the NFL. Is he? Hell no. The Lions didn't have a choice there. They were top 2 picks...they had to pay them like that. Thing is them 2 are being paid like that on rookie contracts. Andrew Luck got 4 years and a little over 22 million. They get to pay him a little over 5 million for a total of 4 years. Stafford got 6 years 70 million. They get to pay him an average of 12 million a year. Suh got 5 years 60 million.

While Johnson has lived up to his contract. They still shouldn't of had to pay him the money they did when he first came into the league. Some random team can draft the next Johnson this year and they wont even pay the player half of what Johnson got on his rookie contract.

They had no choice in paying them guys. It was the rookie pay scale then. Like I said we're talking about 15 million in cap space this year...but it wouldn't only be this year it would be in tell 2016. If them 2 were drafted under the new CBA it would of saved the Lions around 90-100 million in 6 years.

they arent on their rookie contracts.

Ok yeah I agree with you they have too many overpaid vets(most of them who are terrible) and have too many guys that are paid a lot for being backups. They need a solid draft this year and get a few starters.

Yes they're lol.

I was wrong. Stafford got 6 years 72 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4097641

Here's the article on Suh

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5435290

They both are on rookie contracts still. Neither have restructured. Obviously they're trying to restructure Stafford this off season.

Suh and Stafford restructured last year dude....Staff has actually restructured twice already.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...s-suh-stafford-burleson-restructure-contracts

Last edited:
Still making the same just converting base to a bonus. I expect stafford to make as little as possible this year, push that shit back and deal with it if they don't get fired.

Still making the same just converting base to a bonus. I expect stafford to make as little as possible this year, push that shit back and deal with it if they don't get fired.

ya that's what restructuring is... :tup:

Back