Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Deebo.....

Thinking of what we'd have to give to beat #10 plus whatever else they give feels like too much. I was firmly in the camp of do what you can to get Deebo but that's reaching levels I'm not comfortable with.

Deebo or Walker, Deebo or Thib, Deebo or Willis, Deebo or Wilson, Deebo or Hamilton?

Those are the likely choices and I?m taking Deebo over anyone of them, easy!

Deebo or Walker, Deebo or Thib, Deebo or Willis, Deebo or Wilson, Deebo or Hamilton?

That's assuming it only takes #2 to get Deebo. Not a guarantee. And this team has too many holes to be giving away picks.

Also, rumors of Deebo not wanting to play RB so much really takes away from what makes him special.

Let's be real, the Lions don't make risky, bold moves. This whole conversation is moot, really.

That's assuming it only takes #2 to get Deebo. Not a guarantee. And this team has too many holes to be giving away picks.

Also, rumors of Deebo not wanting to play RB so much really takes away from what makes him special.

Let's be real, the Lions don't make risky, bold moves. This whole conversation is moot, really.

Holmes got some balls and is aggressive. He tried to move up last year to get Chase. The old Lions may been scared to make the big splashy move, but we got a new sheriff in town now!

Deebo wants to get paid and wants to win. Give him a $22-25mil a year extension and I?m sure he?ll be happy playing Wide Back.

Deebo is going to easily cost 2.5 times each of those guys. Deebo probably boosts this team to maybe 7-8 wins next year (if he stays healthy), which won't get them to the playoffs and will result in a mid-1st round pick next year.

Still have Goff, less cap space, a worse draft position, and lack of top end talent on defense.

We had one of the best WRs in NFL history and a better QB but could only muster a few first round exits. Trading high draft capital this year for Deebo and giving him a huge contract seems like a fast-track to mediocrity hell.

Deebo is going to easily cost 2.5 times each of those guys. Deebo probably boosts this team to maybe 7-8 wins next year (if he stays healthy), which won't get them to the playoffs and will result in a mid-1st round pick next year.

Still have Goff, less cap space, a worse draft position, and lack of top end talent on defense.

We had one of the best WRs in NFL history and a better QB but could only muster a few first round exits. Trading high draft capital this year for Deebo and giving him a huge contract seems like a fast-track to mediocrity hell.

Agree, Deebo will cost 2.5 times whoever is picked #2. I also think he?ll have 3x the impact over that player.

We need playmakers on both sides of the ball. Deebo is that guy. He instantly makes us better and becomes a key player to build around. He?s a perfect WR for Goff as he doesn?t need the deep ball to succeed. Just get Deebo in space and he becomes a nightmare to defenses.

Deebo is quite possibly the most dangerous WR in the league. There are some injury concerns, but he played in all, but one game in 2021 and 2019. He has exactly the type of attitude this staff covets and completes this offense. Chark is your downfield deep threat, Samuel is extremely fast, physical and is extremely aggressive with the ball in the air. St brown is the guy you can rely on in have to have it situations. This WR core would be a top 3 unit with Samuel and I would argue we would have the BEST group of weapons in the entire NFL. Who would be better when you factor in our depth at WR, Hockenson at TE and one of the better pass catching backs in Swift? Bengals probably have the best WRs, but Swift and Hockenson are way better in the passing game then drew sample and Mixon.

I would not have traded for Adams or Hill. I?m a hard no on Dk Metcalf is he was available at anything more then the Rams 1st. Deebo is about as perfect of a fit for this offense and the only WR in the league I would prefer over him when you factor in age is JaMarr Chase.

With that said I?m not giving up the farm. I?d offer 34 and the Rams first in 2023. Maybe I?d do 32 instead of 34 if push cane to shove. As others have mentioned he would need a massive contract extension to go with the draft compensation so that factors into the equation. That draft capital is similar to what the Chiefs and Packers just got For their star WRs.

Odds of both those picks turning into studs is extremely small and odds of just one of them turning into a top 50 players in the entire league is even smaller. Deebo is A top 50 player IMO.

Last edited:
Deebo is quite possibly the most dangerous WR in the league. There are some injury concerns, but he played in all, but one game in 2021 and 2019. He has exactly the type of attitude this staff covets and completes this offense. Chark is your downfield deep threat, Samuel is extremely fast, physical and is extremely aggressive with the ball in the air. St brown is the guy you can rely on in have to have it situations. This WR core would be a top 3 unit with Samuel and I would argue we would have the BEST group of weapons in the entire NFL. Who would be better when you factor in our depth at WR, Hockenson at TE and one of the better pass catching backs in Swift? Bengals probably have the best WRs, but Swift and Hockenson are way better in the passing game then drew sample and Mixon.

I would not have traded for Adams or Hill. I?m a hard no on Dk Metcalf is he was available at anything more then the Rams 1st. Deebo is about as perfect of a fit for this offense and the only WR in the league I would prefer over him when you factor in age is JaMarr Chase.

With that said I?m not giving up the farm. I?d offer 34 and the Rams first in 2023. Maybe I?d do 32 instead of 34 if push cane to shove. As others have mentioned he would need a massive contract extension to go with the draft compensation so that factors into the equation. That draft capital is similar to what the Chiefs and Packers just got For their star WRs.

Odds of both those picks turning into studs is extremely small and odds of just one of them turning into a top 50 players in the entire league is even smaller. Deebo is A top 50 player IMO.

I am warming to that trade. 34 and Rams 2023 sounds fair. If Lions are using 34 on a WR anyway, they are basically losing one additional pick to get a sure thing at WR instead of an unknown rookie WR plus an additional unknown player. I worry about the injury risk, the size of the contract and him not wanting to play RB though.

Holmes comes from an org that give up 1sts for elite players so I could see him making this trade.

I am warming to that trade. 34 and Rams 2023 sounds fair. If Lions are using 34 on a WR anyway, they are basically losing one additional pick to get a sure thing at WR instead of an unknown rookie WR plus an additional unknown player. I worry about the injury risk, the size of the contract and him not wanting to play RB though.

Holmes comes from an org that give up 1sts for elite players so I could see him making this trade.

I'm not warming to it. Just too much to pay. It's not just the picks, that would be one thing, but the cost to keep him would be enormous. I just don't see that being cap friendly. I would rather spend big name FA dollars on defense. Save the picks and the cap space, draft a WR at #32 and pay a big name CB next off season.

I'd rather have that (rookie WR and FA CB in 2023, keep LA's 1st next year) scenario than just Samuel on a big contract.

I'm not warming to it. Just too much to pay. It's not just the picks, that would be one thing, but the cost to keep him would be enormous. I just don't see that being cap friendly. I would rather spend big name FA dollars on defense. Save the picks and the cap space, draft a WR at #32 and pay a big name CB next off season.

I'd rather have that (rookie WR and FA CB in 2023, keep LA's 1st next year) scenario than just Samuel on a big contract.

Think Lions will have the money for both. Especially if Brockers and Vaitai contracts get dumped in 2023. Deebo and FA CB 2023. Yes would lose the Rams pick and ability to trade up for a QB for sure but would have a sure thing playmaker at WR is the trade off. Especially with Chark a FA too so need it even more. But agree they might not do it, because losing that Rams 2023 pick means it will be harder to trade up for a QB if needed.

Last edited:
Think Lions will have the money for both. Especially if Brockers and Vaitai contracts get dumped in 2023. Deebo and FA CB 2023. Yes would lose the Rams pick and ability to trade up for a QB for sure but would have a sure thing playmaker at WR is the trade off. Especially with Chark a FA too so need it even more. But agree they might not do it, because losing that Rams 2023 pick means it will be harder to trade up for a QB if needed.

You just mentioned that having a WR is more important than the ability (though not a given) to trade up for QB of the future next year.

I'd say that is absolutely NOT an even trade off. Unless Goff plays out of his fucking mind this year we will need the ability to get a top tier QB next year. Single most important position in sports.

Keep the picks. Build a defense. Get a QB next year. Let someone else overpay for a WR that has an attitude, an injury worry and costs $25M/year.

You just mentioned that having a WR is more important than the ability (though not a given) to trade up for QB of the future next year.

I'd say that is absolutely NOT an even trade off. Unless Goff plays out of his fucking mind this year we will need the ability to get a top tier QB next year. Single most important position in sports.

Keep the picks. Build a defense. Get a QB next year. Let someone else overpay for a WR that has an attitude, an injury worry and costs $25M/year.

Sounds like a great idea?Let?s tank another year and hope we hit multiple jackpots and develop top 5 draft picks.

For as much as you guys like tanking, if we develop our players we won?t be able to afford all of them when it?s time to get the 2nd contract.

Deebo is a dynamic playmaker who would help us win games. That?s what you play for. You play to win the game!

If they lose enough and have a top 3 pick, they might not need to trade up. However, if they have Deebo and Chark and St Brown and Hock and this Oline and pick 2 and 32 and 66 and 97 is defense. How much are we going to lose? Top 3 pick even with all that firepower and an "easier" schedule in 2022?

Even without the Rams pick if we traded it for Deebo, they could still figure out a way to trade up I'm sure, it would just be future draft capital like 2024 1st and our 2023 1st and probably 2023 2nd rounder to do so. Now we are talking using 5 picks for Stroud/Young and Deebo. Is it worth it? If they both panned out and we hit on 2, 32 and 66 this year and Free Agency 2023, maybe

I know nobody is on the Goff will be good with all this firepower bandwagon and maintain the starting job with the Lions in 2023 and 2024. That is also a possibility, just not an expected one by anybody

Last edited:
Sounds like a great idea?Let?s tank another year and hope we hit multiple jackpots and develop top 5 draft picks.

For as much as you guys like tanking, if we develop our players we won?t be able to afford all of them when it?s time to get the 2nd contract.

Deebo is a dynamic playmaker who would help us win games. That?s what you play for. You play to win the game!

1. Nobody said tank. Where do you get the idea that if we don't trade for Deebo we're "tanking"?

2. If we develop such good players we can't keep them all......having a $25M/year deal for Deebo would be REALLY bad for us.

3. Not one person on this board that doesn't think that Deebo Samuel would be an amazing get.....he's clearly a dynamic playmaker.....I just think people are saying the price paid to get him and the cost to keep him here are too much for this stage of a rebuild. That's all.

1. Nobody said tank. Where do you get the idea that if we don't trade for Deebo we're "tanking"?

2. If we develop such good players we can't keep them all......having a $25M/year deal for Deebo would be REALLY bad for us.

3. Not one person on this board that doesn't think that Deebo Samuel would be an amazing get.....he's clearly a dynamic playmaker.....I just think people are saying the price paid to get him and the cost to keep him here are too much for this stage of a rebuild. That's all.

2025 is when the rookies from 2021 will be due new deals. Maybe 2024 offseason for some of them. 2026 for Sewell after the 5th year option. Not worried about Deebo having big numbers in 2022, 2023, 2024. 2025 might be able to handle Deebo and the 2021 rookies by then with the cap rising. Especially at that time, 2025 Goff is off the books (if we even keep him in 2023 and 2024).

2025 there are only 2 players even signed right now. Ragnow and 5th year option for Sewell. So yeah they can handle Deebo and the rookies from 2021 on 2nd deals. Would we give Deebo a 3, 4 or 5 year extension on top of him signed through 2022.

2024 have a lot of cap room if Goff and Vaitai are off the books. 78 committed to 15 players. 5th year option decision for Okudah in 2023 which might not get picked up for 2024

Last edited:
Drafting and developing well to the point where 2nd contracts are a concern is not a bad thing IMO. It means they have strategy that works and a pipeline in place for quality players. This implies that the organization is capable of sustained success, a concept I've never seen the Lions pull off in my lifetime (or anyone's really).

Drafting and developing well to the point where 2nd contracts are a concern is not a bad thing IMO. It means they have strategy that works and a pipeline in place for quality players. This implies that the organization is capable of sustained success, a concept I've never seen the Lions pull off in my lifetime (or anyone's really).

Lions have resigned key guys to 2nd deals. But that is when they tricked us and crash and burn or get hurt other than Stafford. DeAndre Levy got 2 deals and died ded after his big one, Darius Slay on 2nd deal (spat with Patricia to trade), Diggs (spat with Patricia to trade), Stafford got 3 deals with Detroit, Decker and Ragnow re-signed lately. Ansah they tagged and he got hurt in the tag year with Patricia of course. Avril they tagged but he eventually went to Seattle. Best brain injury before even close to that. Fairley walked and a heart condition (thank goodness not a re-sign). Suh walked for huge money. Calvin got a mega deal to stay and he regretted it and had injuries and retired early. But alot of the 2nd-4th rounders crashed and burned or got hurt (LeShoure, Broyles, crazy Titus, Ebron rescinded 5th year option with Patricia), AShanw Robinson walked and success with Rams. Golladay walked and crashed with Giants year 1 and now we enjoy pick 97 this year, Teez Tabor LOL, Davis "walked" and now back on vet min lol.

Last edited:
2025 is when the rookies from 2021 will be due new deals. Maybe 2024 offseason for some of them. 2026 for Sewell after the 5th year option. Not worried about Deebo having big numbers in 2022, 2023, 2024. 2025 might be able to handle Deebo and the 2021 rookies by then with the cap rising. Especially at that time, 2025 Goff is off the books (if we even keep him in 2023 and 2024).

2025 there are only 2 players even signed right now. Ragnow and 5th year option for Sewell. So yeah they can handle Deebo and the rookies from 2021 on 2nd deals. Would we give Deebo a 3, 4 or 5 year extension on top of him signed through 2022.

2024 have a lot of cap room if Goff and Vaitai are off the books. 78 committed to 15 players. 5th year option decision for Okudah in 2023 which might not get picked up for 2024

Money much better spent on the defensive side of the ball. Swift, Ragnow, Sewell, St. Brown.....guys that will have new deals coming up in the next 3-4 years are all on the offensive side of the ball.

Onwuzurike, McNeil, Okudah......all big ?? at this point.

I'd love to have Deebo, but if it were me I'd invest in defense with FA dollars. It's a much faster way to long term success.

Money much better spent on the defensive side of the ball. Swift, Ragnow, Sewell, St. Brown.....guys that will have new deals coming up in the next 3-4 years are all on the offensive side of the ball.

Onwuzurike, McNeil, Okudah......all big ?? at this point.

I'd love to have Deebo, but if it were me I'd invest in defense with FA dollars. It's a much faster way to long term success.

Ragnow is signed through 2025. St Brown through 2024 cheap. Sewell through 2025 on the 5th year option. Swift will need a new deal but you don't break the bank for a RB. Might let him walk if depending on this year and next cheap for him. Can invest in both. Like I said, nobody is signed in 2025 other than Ragnow or Sewell on 5th year. Can spend on St Brown and Sewell in those years especially if they produce the next 3. TBD. Money to spend on both defense and offense and draft capital for both too even if they use two picks on Deebo

Ragnow is signed through 2025. St Brown through 2024 cheap. Sewell through 2025 on the 5th year option. Swift will need a new deal but you don't break the bank for a RB. Might let him walk if depending on this year and next cheap for him. Can invest in both. Like I said, nobody is signed in 2025 other than Ragnow or Sewell on 5th year. Can spend on St Brown and Sewell in those years especially if they produce the next 3. TBD. Money to spend on both defense and offense and draft capital for both too even if they use two picks on Deebo

You have to comprehend and understand the point of the discussion you throw yourself in to.

You are arguing weather or not there IS money to spend. There is. I agree. No argument.

MY POINT is....THAT $$$ is better spent on the defensive side of the ball. Not $20M-$25M/year on a WR. We've done that. On a MUCH BETTER WR. One that had a good QB. Those 9 years the team had 1 good defense. One.

We don't need to spend big on a WR in a WR heavy league with a lot of WR talent coming through the draft every freaking year.

Build a defense. Run the ball. You can build a good offense through the draft and guys coming off rookie WR deals and one year prove it deals (Kupp & OBJ).

You have to comprehend and understand the point of the discussion you throw yourself in to.

You are arguing weather or not there IS money to spend. There is. I agree. No argument.

MY POINT is....THAT $$$ is better spent on the defensive side of the ball. Not $20M-$25M/year on a WR. We've done that. On a MUCH BETTER WR. One that had a good QB. Those 9 years the team had 1 good defense. One.

We don't need to spend big on a WR in a WR heavy league with a lot of WR talent coming through the draft every freaking year.

Build a defense. Run the ball. You can build a good offense through the draft and guys coming off rookie WR deals and one year prove it deals (Kupp & OBJ).

Kupp got 15.6 per and is underpaid. He'll get a huge raise after 2023. OBJ they got lucky but they had Robert Woods on a big deal. The Rams spend on WRs.

Lions just need to draft defense and offense well. Trading for Deebo would limit their need to draft on offense. They would basically be done on offense other than probably QB which they need anyway if they use 32 or 34 and the Rams 2023 pick on defense or WR.

Pick 2 defense, pick 32 or 34 defense, pick 66 defense, pick 97 defense, FA 2023 defense. Money and draft can be spent on defense and offense.

I don't want to spend all the money on high priced defensive FAs. I want defense through the draft with a sprinkle of defensive FAs. and I want a guaranteed good WR. Deebo is a guaranteed good WR

And some of the guys we already have are going to have to develop. Levi, McNeil, Okudah, Ife, Parker/Jacobs, Barnes, Walker. Need most of them to develop and be good players. Defense 4 of first 6 picks in 2021 and found some defensive UDFASs at CB. Defense probably 4 of first 5 picks in 2022 with a Deebo trade including Pick 2 on defense and another high one at 34. If we trade for Deebo (both Rams picks say) and trade for a QB (giving up Round 1 2023, Round 2 2023, Round 1 2024), Round 3 2023 and 4 2023 could be defense. Round 2 and 3 and 4 2024 can be defense too. Plus Free agents. Got to hit on day 2. That could be 10 picks on defense on day 1 and day 2 from 2021-2024 on defense. Plus Walker, Harris, Romeo and more defensive free agents 2023/2024. Deebo doesn't hinder that. Not adding Deebo, would only be 11 picks on defense, because we would have to take a WR at 32 or 34 this year and then hope he is as good as Deebo. We would have Rams 2023 1st for defense then for the 11th pick and praying Christian Watson or George Pickens solves our WR problem

Last edited:
Back