Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young

johnny2x2x said:
I thought people were joking. Depends on the ptbnl, but why not pick up Young? He has major talent and is an upgrade over Maggs for right now and we got him at a bargain and his salary isn't outrageous.

Don't think this has anything to do with Boesch as he is supposed to be ready to play right now if needed.
If he was worth anything do you think MN would have traded him to the Tigers?

I went to get my laundry and come back to Delmon Young??

interesting.

twins fans in the know, do not like his play in the field, ok hitter, not as good as last year.

These types of intra-division trades right before this series, won't see him tonight I don't think. or maybe he bats third??
cole nelson lefthander at Lakeland and was moved from starter to reliever.
also a ptbnl.

Offensively he should help, and iirc used more in leftfield, which looks like Boesch goes to right and 'maybe' Maggs is reduced in his role.

This could be a case of buying low. Delmon was having a bad season, but he has good career numbers. At first look, I am very happy with this, but wish we could pick up good hitters who are also good fielders.

tomdalton22 said:
johnny2x2x said:
I thought people were joking. Depends on the ptbnl, but why not pick up Young? He has major talent and is an upgrade over Maggs for right now and we got him at a bargain and his salary isn't outrageous.

Don't think this has anything to do with Boesch as he is supposed to be ready to play right now if needed.

Or cleared waivers as apparently he did.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tomdalton22 said:
14 2B, 4 HR, 0.662 OPS this year.

So you're going to fucus on one year.
I put more stock into what a player is doing now vs. looking in the past and hoping they can turn it around. If the plan is to put Boesch in RF, Young in RF and limit Maggs....well, that is OK....but I would rather just let Dirks play LF.

tomdalton22 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

So you're going to fucus on one year.
I put more stock into what a player is doing now vs. looking in the past and hoping they can turn it around. If the plan is to put Boesch in RF, Young in RF and limit Maggs....well, that is OK....but I would rather just let Dirks play LF.

But every year he's hit well, the average. And even a .269 is better than maggs.

tomdalton22 said:
johnny2x2x said:

Sure they would. If he's overstayed his welcome with them, maybe they want to just be done with him. He's got a load of talent, some players just need a change of scenery. It's a low risk, high reward trade. If he turns out to be crap, how much worse could he be than Maggs and what did we lose in giving him a try?

tomdalton22 said:
DR said:
If it's replacing the RF that fits all those descriptions, but worse, I'm fine with it.
I don't think they are going to cut Maggs.

Maybe not, but unless they're just making the move for shits and giggles it'll surely cut into his playing time.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tomdalton22 said:

But every year he's hit well, the average. And even a .269 is better than maggs.
Almost anybody is better than Maggs. I was on record that I didn't want him back.

Delmon since the break: .286 .352 .429 .781

delmon young is told he will bat third. that is Magg's spot.

give up LHP Cole Nelson and PTBNL. Nelson, a 45th-rd pick in 09, has a 4.87 ERA in A+ Lakeland in 17 starts this yr.

Delmon Young has hit .313 with 3 HR and 18 RBI in 150 AB's since 6/9 - not only that, but just 20 K's in that time.

in hindsight, anyone else think we would have been better off keeping/with Casper Wells.

tomdalton22 said:
[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]

Almost anybody is better than Maggs. I was on record that I didn't want him back.
honestly, then why complain about the move? we gave up almost nothing, hes not owed a ton for the rest of the year, and even though he's having a down year he's a HUGE upgrade over maggs this year in every single way.

to me, this seems like the peralta deal last year. a young guy with a lot of talent who is having a down year and seems to have worn out his welcome on a division rival who we got for next to nothing. i really like the deal.

Back