Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Delmon Young

Spockmaster said:
tomdalton22 said:
Almost anybody is better than Maggs. I was on record that I didn't want him back.
honestly, then why complain about the move? we gave up almost nothing, hes not owed a ton for the rest of the year, and even though he's having a down year he's a HUGE upgrade over maggs this year in every single way.

to me, this seems like the peralta deal last year. a young guy with a lot of talent who is having a down year and seems to have worn out his welcome on a division rival who we got for next to nothing. i really like the deal.

That's what I was thinking.

It will all come out in the next few hours.

A couple of things to think here are

Boesch's thumb sprain is worse than thought, possible DL,

after Wells trade, and Magglio's ineffectiveness had to get an outfielder,

Young is a predominant lf iirc, so Boesch goes back to right,

end for Maggs,

the ptbnl could be a better prospect.

Spockmaster said:
tomdalton22 said:
Almost anybody is better than Maggs. I was on record that I didn't want him back.
honestly, then why complain about the move? we gave up almost nothing, hes not owed a ton for the rest of the year, and even though he's having a down year he's a HUGE upgrade over maggs this year in every single way.

to me, this seems like the peralta deal last year. a young guy with a lot of talent who is having a down year and seems to have worn out his welcome on a division rival who we got for next to nothing. i really like the deal.
I'm not complaining about it. I'm just not excited about it.

Sounds like we got somethin' for nothin'! I tend to think Boesch will go to the DL in the short term. I wonder if Maggs remains with the team for the remainder of the year.

tomdalton22 said:
Spockmaster said:

I'm not complaining about it. I'm just not excited about it.

tomdalton22 said:
Great....an over paid LF with no power, doesn't get on base and a poor fielder. Great move!
that looks like complaining to me. just saying.

PS: Few things worse than an athlete that stays on one year too many.

Below average offensive Corner OFer. Does not take a walk. Grounds into his fair share of double plays. Career OBP is .322, with best being .336. Below average fielder. Righthanded hitter....I certainly wouldn't trade to get him on my team, regardless if I gave up nothing.

As someone else pointed out, Casper Wells is far better and CHEAPER. $5.5 mil this year, means he is guaranteed at least that much next year if offered arbitration. It was already mentoined the Twins wer not going to do it, making him a FA. Add to the fact that he had to clear waivers in order to be traded. Teams like BAL, WSN, etc, could have had him for free!

This isn't about getting a superstar but getting a player that's better than what we currently have. He might nit walk much but his k rate is good. Something this team needs.

he's had a down year in 2011 but prior to this he's been a damn good hitter. .298 last year with 21 HR and 112 RBI

Dombrowski trend this year;
All are younger guys ... Fister is 27, Pauley 28 and Young just 25 (26 in a month).
Betemit is at 29 (turns 30 in November).

Young with RISP - .273 in 77 at-bats this year,
Magglio .155 in 71 AB's with RISP.

[color=#FF6103 said:
Monster [/color]]he's had a down year in 2011 but prior to this he's been a damn good hitter. .298 last year with 21 HR and 112 RBI

That's a productive year.

I forgot...Sept is almost here. My prediction: Boesch to DL, Maggs remains with team until the end of the year. Young replaces him full time next season.

You threw the ptbn out there KC. My thoughts is Nelson being the primary the other guy won't be much.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
[quote="Monster ":zcu0doi5]he's had a down year in 2011 but prior to this he's been a damn good hitter. .298 last year with 21 HR and 112 RBI

That's a productive year. [/quote:zcu0doi5]

112 RBI? I'd say so. More than Cabrera is on pace for. Put peralta in the 3 spot and young in the 6 or 7. Instant upgrade.

rebbiv said:
Below average offensive Corner OFer. Does not take a walk. Grounds into his fair share of double plays. Career OBP is .322, with best being .336. Below average fielder. Righthanded hitter....I certainly wouldn't trade to get him on my team, regardless if I gave up nothing.

As someone else pointed out, Casper Wells is far better and CHEAPER. $5.5 mil this year, means he is guaranteed at least that much next year if offered arbitration. It was already mentoined the Twins wer not going to do it, making him a FA. Add to the fact that he had to clear waivers in order to be traded. Teams like BAL, WSN, etc, could have had him for free!
a couple of things:

1) he's not a free agent till 2013, he's just salary arbitration eligible this year. he wasnt going to be a free agent this offseason regardless. http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2001/04/potential-free-agents-for-2012.html

he is not on that list.

2) he didnt have to clear waivers to be traded, we could have claimed him and worked out a trade with the twins instead of them pulling him back or just letting us take him. obviously no AL teams with worse records than us claimed him, but other teams could have that our claim superseded. i dont know exactly how it went down, but he didnt have to clear waivers for us to get him.

Back