Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Strategy

Still two picks short in that scenario. And you have to use pick 7 on qb which sucks of you dont like fields or lance even more

We got the cap space from the restructure. 2021 is not the year to go wild in free agency 1) because of extra risk of fa this year and 2) we are rebuilding..basically your rebuild would be mainly through fa not the draft

Still two picks short in that scenario. And you have to use pick 7 on qb which sucks of you dont like fields or lance even more

We got the cap space from the restructure. 2021 is not the year to go wild in free agency 1) because of extra risk of fa this year and 2) we are rebuilding..basically your rebuild would be mainly through fa not the draft

There's much less risk in fa this year. Everyone is doing 1 year prove it deals since the cap jumps up next year. Little to no risk.

Last edited:
There's much less risk in fa this year. Everyone is doing 1 year prove it deals since the cap jumps up next year. Little to no risk.

So this is not the year to rebuild then via fa.1 year prove it deals galore hence the risk and lower cap so everyone only doing one year

Holmes made the right call getting extra picks over cap space

So this is not the year to rebuild then via fa.1 year prove it deals galore hence the risk and lower cap so everyone only doing one year

Holmes made the right call getting extra picks over cap space

the only way he made the right choice is if Goff works out long term.

Goff was a salary dump and the reason we got another 1st. If he works out great, if now we move on in two years

Honestly I don't now why we think Staff is a better QB than GOFF. Goff's first two full season's are better than anything Matt ever did. So he struggled for a couple, Matt struggled plenty. 5 of his first 6 season's were either injury riddled or awful.

Honestly I don't now why we think Staff is a better QB than GOFF. Goff's first two full season's are better than anything Matt ever did. So he struggled for a couple, Matt struggled plenty. 5 of his first 6 season's were either injury riddled or awful.

I don't think either one is much better than the other. That's the main point of my frustration. We had a guy that can't win with this below average roster and we went and got another guy that won't win with this below average roster.

I don't think either one is much better than the other. That's the main point of my frustration. We had a guy that can't win with this below average roster and we went and got another guy that won't win with this below average roster.

That makes sense. I guess my point was to all the media who think LA just won the SB or something. Good defense doesn't help a QB complete a pass.

That makes sense. I guess my point was to all the media who think LA just won the SB or something. Good defense doesn't help a QB complete a pass.

I think their thought is Stafford had shown in Detroit that he can cover up more deficiencies on a team. Goff showed he can get to a super bowl with a great defense and great run game. But once the run game went away he would press and cause too many self inflicted mistakes. They're expecting Stafford not to make those mistakes.

It?s because Goff has to prove he can do more with less than a Todd gurley, cooper kupp, Robert woods, Sammy Watkins, and Brandin cooks lineup.

You dont spend in free agency in first year of a rebuild..especially 2021 with lower cap

Plus Holmes had to purge the big contracts which means quinn caused that dead cap space..also stafford wanted out and holmes still got such a great deal..there was no keeping stafford option..

Goff allows pick 7 to not be qb. And that is a good thing

Holmes will be judged on picks. Goff will just be icing on cake if he works out

I wonder if they could get NE's 2022 & 2023 1st rounders for #7

Lions would be loaded in those drafts. Would think would need a little more value than that based on the San Fran/Miami trade. Miami got 12, 2022 3rd, 2022 1st and 2023 1st. Only 4 spot difference wouldn't mean Detroit gives up New Englands pick. And New England is later than 12.

Not having one 1st round pick at all wouldn't be the best either.

I'd trade back in Round 1 for one extra 1st in a later year but not get out of Round 1 completely.

Lions would be loaded in those drafts. Would think would need a little more value than that based on the San Fran/Miami trade. Miami got 12, 2022 3rd, 2022 1st and 2023 1st. Only 4 spot difference wouldn't mean Detroit gives up New Englands pick. And New England is later than 12.

Not having one 1st round pick at all wouldn't be the best either.

I'd trade back in Round 1 for one extra 1st in a later year but not get out of Round 1 completely.

so I guess the Carolina deal would have been better

so I guess the Carolina deal would have been better

Nope. Carolina deals was less picks and forced us to use pick 7 or 8 on a QB. So really would be nothing additional gain

Rams we get two 1sts, 3rd and a QB so we don't have to use pick 7 on a QB.

Pats deal is not the same as the Rams deal. Your Pats deal we are giving up pick 7 for two picks. Rams deal we are giving up a good player who wanted out and gained more picks and a QB we can use and we keep pick 7 in the Rams deal to use on a non QB.

Keeping pick 7 and not having to use it on a QB gives us ability to trade down for even more picks too.

Last edited:
Nope. Carolina deals was less picks and forced us to use pick 7 or 8 on a QB. So really would be nothing additional gain

Rams we get two 1sts, 3rd and a QB so we don't have to use pick 7 on a QB.

Pats deal is not the same as the Rams deal. Your Pats deal we are giving up pick 7 for two picks. Rams deal we are giving up a good player who wanted out and gained more picks and a QB we can use and we keep pick 7 in the Rams deal to use on a non QB.

Keeping pick 7 and not having to use it on a QB gives us ability to trade down for even more picks too.

The gain is you get a QB on a rookie deal for 5 years going into a new CBA (giving your team financial flexibility to rebuild). And theres a good chance he outplays or at the least plays at the same level of what Goff will bring.

Last edited:
The gain is you get a QB on a rookie deal for 5 years going into a new CBA (giving your team financial flexibility to rebuild). And theres a good chance he outplays or at the least plays at the same level of what Goff will bring.

You can still use one of those 3 additional picks on a QB. So you can still get that gain with the Rams deal. Panthers deal you get nothing but cap space, which Lions created anyway. If they included Bridgewater, 17.9 million cap hit for him but you could restructure that too.

They have the cap space restructuring Goff. His cap hit is literally rookie deal-esque right now for 2021. Lions properly chose not to use that cap space on free agents in 2021.

Rams deal was clearly the best deal by far due to 3 picks and a QB you can attempt to use in the future.

Pick 8 and Lance doesn't fix the team. Pick 7 non QB, Rams 3rd, Rams 1st, Rams 1st. Now that fixes a team with Goff leading it. Lions will have a good amount of space in 2022 and beyond too even with Goff on a non rookie deal. So they can add the FAs

Last edited:

this is why I keep saying the only way the trade with the Rams is better than Carolina is if Goff ends up being the long term answer. If he isn't, they would have been better off with Bridgewater and #8

Back