Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Draft Strategy

The gain is you get a QB on a rookie deal for 5 years going into a new CBA (giving your team financial flexibility to rebuild). And theres a good chance he outplays or at the least plays at the same level of what Goff will bring.

There's no guarantee of that. He could be Josh Rosen. And at 8 or if using 7 who knows what QB would be there. 5th or 6th choice no thank you.

Bridgewater, lol. No thanks.

he would have been a bridge between Matt and whoever they would draft.

here is the worst case scenario. Goff plays like he always has...above average. The Lions don't address the QB position next year either. 2022 he is still average and then what?

this is why I keep saying the only way the trade with the Rams is better than Carolina is if Goff ends up being the long term answer. If he isn't, they would have been better off with Bridgewater and #8

I 110% disagree with that. Here's why.

1. At 7 or 8 we MIGHT get the 5th best QB. I don't want anything to do with Lance or Fields. I don't think either will be good NFL QB's.

2. If we would look to trade up, that would cost of BOTH of those picks or one of them and future 1sts, which we wouldn't have any extra of.

3. Lets say we did move up......using both 7 & 8 to do so.....then we have a rookie QB and no additional draft capital in the future. So we would have a rookie QB and no other 1st this year and no additional 1sts in the future. That's a loss of 3 first round picks over the next three years.

I don't see that as a win. Not for a franchise that needs top end talent at ALL LEVELS of the offense and defense.

Last edited:
he would have been a bridge between Matt and whoever they would draft.

here is the worst case scenario. Goff plays like he always has...above average. The Lions don't address the QB position next year either. 2022 he is still average and then what?

You don't think they would have restructured Bridgewater like they did Goff and added another year? Of course they would have.

Rams trade is better because we got 3 picks and a QB we can use. 2 maybe 3 (depending on Goff) additional picks to use on non QB even Lions end up using one in 2022 or 2023 on a QB.

One 2021 pick, and having to use 7 or 8 on a QB (which is a risk) or the lone 2022 1st on a QB sucks. 3 non QB picks (maybe 4 if Goff works out)>1 non QB pick and having to use 7 or 8 on a QB. Also Goff>Bridgewater long term.

I think LKP was right on this, it would have forced us to draft a QB. I was fine with 8 some time ago but as time passes and QB most likely going 1-4 or even 5 before us it wouldn't have been a good deal. You'd still have too early for defense, Sewell gone - or taken Fields, ugh.

Let's put picks to this and say Goff doesn't work out so they take a QB in 2022

Say we take Parsons at pick 7
Parsons, day 2 Round 3 WR (maybe we find another Golladay), QB 2022, Rams 1st round 2022 use on safety, Rams 1st round 2023 use on tackle. Lions still have cap room dumping Goff in 2022 (and hint, they will have plenty of cap room even without dumping Goff). Also could trade Goff, say we only get a 4th rounder. That is still additional non QB to help the Lions on a rookie deal.

Panthers trade
Say Bridgewater doesn't work out but we took QB at pick 7 anyway
We got Lance and say Parsons with pick 8 and then nothing else. 2022 Lions pick we would take non QB then say the tackle.. No WR, no safety, Just Lance and Parsons and the tackle and some cap room with the Panthers deal. We miss out on a WR and safety to add to the team.

That should illustrate how much better Rams deal is

And if Goff works out, Lions pick in Round 1 2022 would yet another position.

Last edited:
Let's put picks to this and say Goff doesn't work out so they take a QB in 2022

Say we take Parsons at pick 7
Parsons, day 2 Round 3 WR (maybe we find another Golladay), QB 2022, Rams 1st round 2022 use on safety, Rams 1st round 2023 use on tackle. Lions still have cap room dumping Goff in 2022 (and hint, they will have plenty of cap room even without dumping Goff). Also could trade Goff, say we only get a 4th rounder. That is still additional non QB to help the Lions on a rookie deal.

Panthers trade
Say Bridgewater doesn't work out but we took QB at pick 7 anyway
We got Lance and say Parsons with pick 8 and then nothing else. 2022 Lions pick we would take non QB then say the tackle.. No WR, no safety, Just Lance and Parsons and the tackle and some cap room with the Panthers deal. We miss out on a WR and safety to add to the team.

That should illustrate how much better Rams deal is

And if Goff works out, Lions pick in Round 1 2022 would yet another position.

like I said...if Goff works out it will be a great trade. If he doesn't, or if he is just a little above average, they will be in the same boat in 2 years.

like I said...if Goff works out it will be a great trade. If he doesn't, or if he is just a little above average, they will be in the same boat in 2 years.

Matt was a little above average and so if we remain the same we got 3 draft picks to stay the same.

The Rams trade shows we would have AT LEAST two extra non QBs to help the team, maybe 3. The Goff working out means difference of 2 or 3 additional picks. The Panthers give us really no additional picks on non QBs, just forces us to take a QB.

Also if Holmes does better in draft and FA than Quinn/Mayhew. Not in the same boat.

Also if coaching is better, another reason to not be in the same boat.

Goff can be good (100 QB rating) again. And that plus the other additions, coaching and better picking puts us in a much better boat. Especially with two additional, maybe 3 additional non QB draft picks on rookie deals.

And I am even more excited about day 2 and Round 4 than ever under Holmes.

Last edited:
Just hope Stafford blows out a knee in training camp :D Hope that #1 Rams pick gets real nice :D Cheers to 2023 detroit lions. We'll all be dead from a covid variant that peels your skin off by then. #GoLions

Just hope Stafford blows out a knee in training camp :D Hope that #1 Rams pick gets real nice :D Cheers to 2023 detroit lions. We'll all be dead from a covid variant that peels your skin off by then. #GoLions

Feel like 2022 QB will come from the Lions doing poorly in 2021 more than Rams doing poorly. If both did poorly though, that would be a nice dream draft wise at least.

2022 early QB from Lions pick and mid/late round Rams pick in 2022.

Lions 2021 roster could go either way. Lots of ifs like in other thread, so could be competitive or could down the toilet pretty quickly for the Lions.

And does Rams record really hinge on Stafford being healthy and good? Everyone said Goff sucks and Rams won with defense and run game. They should still have defense and run game.

The guy you want to get hurt is Aaron Donald. (They already lost a CB, their good safety in Johnson, Brockers, Ebukam, some TEs and most importantly a good young defensive coordinator)

Last edited:

Sweet we could pick #1 and #2 in the 2022 draft. With our luck if would be the weakest class in 20 years at the top.

Sweet we could pick #1 and #2 in the 2022 draft. With our luck if would be the weakest class in 20 years at the top.

#1 Overall. Indy takes Steve Emtman
#2 Overall. Indy takes Quentin Coryatt

Ouch. That?s like taking Charles Rogers and Mike Williams in the same draft.

Last edited:
Quick look at our Depth Chart will help with Draft Strategy:

QB: meh with meh depth. If we made moves to acquire more picks i could see a guy like Davis Mills if he slides into rd 4 being a good pick for depth. He probably wont make it that far.

RB: One of the better RB groups in the league imo. Great 1 2 punch and Kerryon that can come in and do a bit of everything.

WR: One of the worst 3somes in the league with Tyrell, Perriman and Cephus

Oline: 60% there. Need to upgrade RG and RT

TE: We're good

DE: Great Depth...no star power. Flowers, Okwara x2, Harris, Bryant. No one to get excited about and your top 2 guys are probably over paid.

DT: Brockers, Williams, Hand and Penisini....pretty terrible rotation

LB: Hands down the worst LB corps in the league. Its not even close...

CB: Theres a lot of hope riding on this group. You hope Okwara can turn things around, you hope Dunbar can be WFT Dunbar, you hope Amani can play in the slot where we thought he would excel. Old Corn in Nickel and Ford provide decent depth. Will any of that matter if the dline blows?

S: Ugly...Walker and Harris. Crap and more crap. Walker can get by if he had a stud next to him. Harris next to him just makes Walker look that much worse.

So to roll that up our draft needs are:
back up QB, RG, RT, WR, couldnt hurt to upgrade another WR, Need an upgrade at DE, DT, LB x2, S (i would say x2 but we will give Walker a pass for now just cause Harris is so bad).

10 spots. 1 draft and $22 mil in cap space. Have fun! Draft Strategy = Fill Holes everywhere.

Some post draft potential FA targets:

Kwon Alexander LB NO ties
Avery Williamson LB
Melvin Ingram DE LAC ties
Bunch of old DTs - Sheldon Richardson, Jurrel Casey, Kawan Short, Geno Atkins
OL Eric Fisher OT and Trai Turner G (LAC ties), Alejandro Villanueva OT, Rick Wagner OT
Malik Hooker S

Last edited:
Quick look at our Depth Chart will help with Draft Strategy:

QB: meh with meh depth. If we made moves to acquire more picks i could see a guy like Davis Mills if he slides into rd 4 being a good pick for depth. He probably wont make it that far.

RB: One of the better RB groups in the league imo. Great 1 2 punch and Kerryon that can come in and do a bit of everything.

WR: One of the worst 3somes in the league with Tyrell, Perriman and Cephus

Oline: 60% there. Need to upgrade RG and RT

TE: We're good

DE: Great Depth...no star power. Flowers, Okwara x2, Harris, Bryant. No one to get excited about and your top 2 guys are probably over paid.

DT: Brockers, Williams, Hand and Penisini....pretty terrible rotation

LB: Hands down the worst LB corps in the league. Its not even close...

CB: Theres a lot of hope riding on this group. You hope Okwara can turn things around, you hope Dunbar can be WFT Dunbar, you hope Amani can play in the slot where we thought he would excel. Old Corn in Nickel and Ford provide decent depth. Will any of that matter if the dline blows?

S: Ugly...Walker and Harris. Crap and more crap. Walker can get by if he had a stud next to him. Harris next to him just makes Walker look that much worse.

So to roll that up our draft needs are:
back up QB, RG, RT, WR, couldnt hurt to upgrade another WR, Need an upgrade at DE, DT, LB x2, S (i would say x2 but we will give Walker a pass for now just cause Harris is so bad).

10 spots. 1 draft and $22 mil in cap space. Have fun! Draft Strategy = Fill Holes everywhere.

Some post draft potential FA targets:

Kwon Alexander LB NO ties
Avery Williamson LB
Melvin Ingram DE LAC ties
Bunch of old DTs - Sheldon Richardson, Jurrel Casey, Kawan Short, Geno Atkins
OL Eric Fisher OT and Trai Turner G (LAC ties), Alejandro Villanueva OT, Rick Wagner OT
Malik Hooker S

Agreed. DTs and DES a little better than you think but some people need to stay healthy (my boy Hand and Flowers and J Okwara). We'll see what new scheme does too. But need that nose tackle really and no game changers at DE still just good players.

Collins/Anzalone are fine too but need a playmaker here as well. Anzalone big injury risk.

Don't sleep on Dean Marlowe at safety but agree we need one on day 2 (long term with Walker contract, Marlowe one year and Harris sucking).

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2021/4/23/22399098/detroit-lions-roster-ranked-32nd-last-nfl-pff

PFF ranks us dead last in pre draft roster

We all know its a rebuild now with some 1 year band aids in there.

WR though like Williams/Perriman/Cephus year 2 is actually better than Jones/Amendola/rookie Cephus (Golladay missed 11 games). Problem is we downgraded at QB. We'll see by how much. Can Hock and Swift take steps forward too.

Our strengths are Rb and Te. I don't know any other organizations that builds their team that way lol. Bob quin was an asshat.

Our strengths are Rb and Te. I don't know any other organizations that builds their team that way lol. Bob quin was an asshat.

In fairness, I don't think that's how they TRIED to build it....it's just how it's worked out. All the other picks and FA's have turned out to be shit.

With OT what's the drop off from Sewell to Rashawn Slater? Or other OT.

Last edited:
Back