Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

F this BS

I really wanted to be patient with the coaching staff, but even I?m almost done with them at this point.

I was willing to look past the communication issues earlier in the year with the new staff and weekly roster turnover, but this is week 12 now, shouldn?t have to call back-to-back TOs because half the defense doesn?t know what the other half is doing. That left a real bad taste in my mouth.

I tend to hand-wave a lot when it comes to coaching because I believe talent is king, but not having everyone on the same page this late in the season is alarming and is a direct reflection of the staff.

Lost Woods and Akers. Rams 24th in rushing. 21st in ppg defense so below average in both

Stafford still doing well just not mvp edque last few weeks.

Akers 2020 13 games, 625 yards, 4.3 YPC
Henderson 2021; 10 games, 648 yards, 4.6 YPC

MVP...three weeks in a row with a pick six :lmao: and 5 INTs in those three games.

Lost Woods and Akers. Rams 24th in rushing. 21st in ppg defense so below average in both

Stafford still doing well just not mvp edque last few weeks.

Good QB overcome that. Matty can't win when you need to win. This year with Rams, wins against under .500 teams loses to the better ones. Sound familiar?

Stafford wins with good run game, weapons and d. He doesnt need great because he is a good qb

Goff needs great and he still fucked that up with rams. He sucks

Is this the same Stafford who is currently 6-0 vs teams under .500 and 1-4 vs teams .500+???

I'm not yet convinced Stafford is better than Goff by a significant amount.

i always hated this argument....its the stafford argument all over again. Sure...give goff a ton of weapons, great defense and great oline..MAYBE he will be successful then. At that point pay a rookie QB and they can be successful too. You pay someone $30mil a year to make an average team better....he doesnt.

Dude, you need to come to terms with Goff being the QB next year or you might give yourself a heart condition or worse. It is what it is. I'm not saying Goff should be the QB in 2023, but I acknowledge where things are and that next year they will likely be roughly a .500 team.

Is this the same Stafford who is currently 6-0 vs teams under .500 and 1-4 vs teams .500+???

I'm not yet convinced Stafford is better than Goff by a significant amount.

There is no way you watch football games and honestly don't think there is a significant difference between the two players.

That's not me trying to be a Stafford hype man......but just as a football fan. Stafford is MILES better than Goff. Pre snap reads. Post snap reads. Arm talent. Deep ball. Manipulating the safety.

Goff MIGHT be more accurate on throws under 10 yards.....but that's 50/50 to me.

Talent aside....i enjoy watching football. Thats not what im watching when i watch a Dan Campbell led team. Its a bunch of dumb calls after dumb calls. poor playcalling, poor time clock management, poor in game strategy, poor adjustments, be really aggressive in every phase, dont be aggressive at all in every phase, coaches being benched lol....who the fucks benches an OC? This fucker needs to be checked for CTE or better yet multiple personality disorder....hes all over the place. He needs to go...

Tomlin's DC hasn't called a play in years. Lots of head coaches call plays on one side of the ball and still have OC/DC.

Not really sticking up for Campbell here....but I look at the results as well.

Should this team even be IN as many games as they have been. No. IMO, they are actually playing over their talent level.....and they're 0-10-1. This roster is a laughable shit show, but they are competing with GOOD teams at times. Took a NFL record FG to beat the AFC current #1 seed. Gave GB a problem for 3 quarters. Played very competitive games against Minn, LA, Cleveland and Pitt.....all teams above or just under .500. They play hard.

Every coach needs talent to win. DC needs to figure some shit out......and his term as a HC will be determined by whether he can do that or not. But having a talentless team play above their level is something that also shouldn't be ignored.

i always hated this argument....its the stafford argument all over again. Sure...give goff a ton of weapons, great defense and great oline..MAYBE he will be successful then. At that point pay a rookie QB and they can be successful too. You pay someone $30mil a year to make an average team better....he doesnt.

Good teams do that. Look at Arizona.....Hopkins, Kirk, Isabella, Green and then drafted Rondale Moore.

GB tried to bring in Odell, too. So did KC....which has 2 current HOF... in their prime... in Kelce and Hill. Also have Hardman.

TB has Gronk, Evans, Godwin and then brought in Brown and Fournette.

Tomlin's DC hasn't called a play in years. Lots of head coaches call plays on one side of the ball and still have OC/DC.

Not really sticking up for Campbell here....but I look at the results as well.

Should this team even be IN as many games as they have been. No. IMO, they are actually playing over their talent level.....and they're 0-10-1. This roster is a laughable shit show, but they are competing with GOOD teams at times. Took a NFL record FG to beat the AFC current #1 seed. Gave GB a problem for 3 quarters. Played very competitive games against Minn, LA, Cleveland and Pitt.....all teams above or just under .500. They play hard.

Every coach needs talent to win. DC needs to figure some shit out......and his term as a HC will be determined by whether he can do that or not. But having a talentless team play above their level is something that also shouldn't be ignored.

Safe to say he lost a couple of those based on his mistakes. That long FG shouldn't have happened. Our coaches blew that.

Good teams do that. Look at Arizona.....Hopkins, Kirk, Isabella, Green and then drafted Rondale Moore.

GB tried to bring in Odell, too. So did KC....which has 2 current HOF... in their prime... in Kelce and Hill. Also have Hardman.

TB has Gronk, Evans, Godwin and then brought in Brown and Fournette.

I think youd agree ARI, TB and GBs QB situation is a little bit better than ours. You bring in a bunch of weapons...does goff continue to throw it 3 yards or less every play? Does DC continue to call 35 WR screens throughout the game?

If youre in a rebuild...you dont just piss away $30 mil cause you have the cap space. Use it to build your team the right way.

We will quickly know the fall out of the Lynn/Goff/DC drama come the end of the season. 1 or more of them will be gone. Im cool if its all 3.

Akers 2020 13 games, 625 yards, 4.3 YPC
Henderson 2021; 10 games, 648 yards, 4.6 YPC

MVP...three weeks in a row with a pick six :lmao: and 5 INTs in those three games.

Nice try. They had akers and henderson last year and a better run game

I know how to fix Goff!!!

Do a Willie Mays Hayes deal... for every pass under 10 yards, Goff has to do 25 push-ups!!!

Safe to say he lost a couple of those based on his mistakes. That long FG shouldn't have happened. Our coaches blew that.

Maybe....but if you're placing blame for the loss on him because of how they played the last part of the 4th......then we should be praising him for the 3 1/2 quarters they played to put themselves in that position with a team that has FAR LESS talent than the Ravens.

Cant just put the negative play on him....goes both ways.

I think youd agree ARI, TB and GBs QB situation is a little bit better than ours. You bring in a bunch of weapons...does goff continue to throw it 3 yards or less every play? Does DC continue to call 35 WR screens throughout the game?

If youre in a rebuild...you dont just piss away $30 mil cause you have the cap space. Use it to build your team the right way.

We will quickly know the fall out of the Lynn/Goff/DC drama come the end of the season. 1 or more of them will be gone. Im cool if its all 3.

Of course their situations are vastly different than ours.....my point is that good teams with GREAT QB's continue to bring in more talent at the skill positions. There is a reason for that. This is an offensive driven league now.

The pissing away $30M makes little difference in our situation.

1. If they had an additional $30M....who is on this roster now that couldn't have been before the trade? MAYBE they overpay for a player like Hassan Reddick....which we both were calling for in the off-season......but this team is so bad he isn't going to make any difference in the W-L this year.....and by the time the roster has the talent for that signing to make a difference....his cap hit gets to the point where he's a very expensive piece.

2. Why is everyone assuming we ASKED for Goff in this deal? I heard MULTIPLE reports that us taking Goff was mandatory from the Rams for this deal to happen. I believe they took it knowing that he will be off the books by the time the roster turnover is in motion. The positive "we really wanted Jared" talk is just coach speak. There is no reason for us to throw the guy under the buss. Might as well see if he pans out. I believe if he did, he would be traded.....not kept long term.

Like Holmes/Campbell or not.....I think they are deconstructing this roster the right way for a rebuild. Dump shit contracts/players. Play the young guys. Build from the draft and then bring in the FA when it makes sense to spend the money. IT MAKES NO SENSE TO SPEND the money right now. Goff could make $60M/year and it would make little difference is this rebuild. Maybe this upcoming FA period year we get a couple mid level guys.....but no need to go big at this time.

I see takes about free agents not wanting to come here, then I see people bitching about cap space. This board is funny sometimes.

I see takes about free agents not wanting to come here, then I see people bitching about cap space. This board is funny sometimes.

you need more cap space so they can over pay for free agents that don't want to come to Detroit :lmao:

Like it or not, Lions are going to have to overpay for FA to come here and/or take chances on guys coming off injuries....like Tyrell Williams.

If I am GM.....my target this year is the same as last year......get the best players you can (almost) regardless of position. Lions dont HAVE to take a QB at one in this draft.....there will be guys there in the 2nd round that will have big upside. Maybe Howell or Ridder fall to the top of the 2nd. Just need to focus on bringing in talent on both sides of the ball again. If it means trading down to get a 4th 1st round pick....so be it.

Add a couple under the radar FA who have some upside still and look for a capable starting QB. Bridgewater/Heineike/Fitzmagic/Minshew. Someone who can upgrade the QB position and would likely take a short term deal to show their skills to a big contract. I love Heineike. I would give Washington our 2nd for that guy in a heartbeat.

you need more cap space so they can over pay for free agents that don't want to come to Detroit :lmao:

Like Tuck....the cap space is comin.

Likely around $60M free in this upcoming off season after cuts to Vaitai and Flowers......and then the following year Goff just about falls off the books (I believe there is some dead money in 2023).

They have 4 1st round picks (at least) and two different FA periods to go through in the next two off seasons. The time to build has not even started yet.

I guess it?s the endless cycle of being a Lions fans

- The franchise and city suck, nobody wants to play here
- Pay extra to lure or keep FAs
- Contracts start to look bad after a year or two
- Complain about bad contracts eating up cap space
- Roster suffers due to cap issues
- Lions continue to lose, re-affirming that the franchise sucks

Back