Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 4: Seahawks @ Lions Thread

I hate that argument. You can say the same thing about every position. We have a rookie starting LB who was drafted in round 6. Every team in the NFL has day 3 or non drafted players starting somewhere.

I?m excited to see St Brown and a healthy Williams on the field together.

We just scored 45 points and lost. Williams will be fun while he stays healthy but in hindsight Defense should have been the pick.

We just scored 45 points and lost. Williams will be fun while he stays healthy but in hindsight Defense should have been the pick.

Good WRs are making $25-30 mil after rookie contracts. I?ll take a rookie QB, two good WRs on rookie contracts and spend the cap on defense.

I said it all off-season. We aren?t trying to field a competitive team yet. The writing was on the wall. We moved up and drafted an injured WR, re-signed damn near everyone from a 3-win team, kept Goff and didn?t bring in impact FAs. Once we let Goff go and go on a free agent spending spree, we?ll be ready to compete.

Good WRs are making $25-30 mil after rookie contracts. I?ll take a rookie QB, two good WRs on rookie contracts and spend the cap on defense.

I said it all off-season. We aren?t trying to field a competitive team yet. The writing was on the wall. We moved up and drafted an injured WR, re-signed damn near everyone from a 3-win team, kept Goff and didn?t bring in impact FAs. Once we let Goff go and go on a free agent spending spree, we?ll be ready to compete.

Or ready to rebuild, again.

I think that is a bad idea. You should build through the draft and fill holes in FA. FA spending sprees almost never work.

I hate that argument. You can say the same thing about every position. We have a rookie starting LB who was drafted in round 6. Every team in the NFL has day 3 or non drafted players starting somewhere.

I?m excited to see St Brown and a healthy Williams on the field together.

No you can't like drafting a top 10 TE - we're on our 3rd. Hocks 557 yard average first three years. This season first 3 games did nothing. Its a waste.

No you can't like drafting a top 10 TE - we're on our 3rd. Hocks 557 yard average first three years. This season first 3 games did nothing. Its a waste.

Agree, don?t like drafting a TE in the top 10, or CB at 3.

WR in the first round or even top 10, I?m ok with.

We haven't found day 2 or day 3 CBS as Will Harris and AO are failing now. We got a top 3 CB too and he is solid after two injury plagued years. Neither direction worked out there but that was all old regime picks. And FA rental at nickel and 7th round pick

Safety all 3rd round in Walker (injured), Joseph (raw rookie) and Ife (switched from CB)

LB FA, 6th round, 4th round with trade up for more day 3 picks, 1 year ST guy in Board but he seems to be able to cover

Dline Pick 2 Round 1, Round 3 in Julian O, big FA re-sign in Romeo (hurt), Paschal Round 2 hurt, Cominsky late FA signing but did well then hurt

DT Round 3 and Buggs late add, Brockers trade and decent deal but hurt and Levi Round 2 hurt

We definitely need more 1st round picks than Hutch and Okudah on defense.

If Goff keeps this up, defense, defense, defense is what we need for 2023 Round 1 and Round 2

Last edited:
They should have plenty of money to spend on the defense in the next few years.

WRs on rookie deals. Let Hock walk. Shouldn?t be spending much on RBs (hoping they don?t extend Swift). Draft a QB and cut Goff. Only need to spend money on the O-line right now (not that they are ever healthy enough to play together).

What was the other option, keep Stafford and try to win a super bowl w Golladay as his #1? Lol

This isn't about Stats, and I'm glad he's gone. And we need a young QB but he wont help us be better by next season. We should have done it this season and have a 2nd year QB by next season.

We knew defense would be terrible - trading up for a WR not sure it was a smart idea.

This isn't about Stats, and I'm glad he's gone. And we need a young QB but he wont help us be better by next season. We should have done it this season and have a 2nd year QB by next season.

We knew defense would be terrible - trading up for a WR not sure it was a smart idea.

I could be proven wrong, but I don?t think they were going to find a franchise QB in this past draft. Probably the worst draft in recent memory for QBs. At best you?d have a project this year who might be able to start next year.

I could be proven wrong, but I don?t think they were going to find a franchise QB in this past draft. Probably the worst draft in recent memory for QBs. At best you?d have a project this year who might be able to start next year.

Not really big on the name franchise QB. I'd take a Alex Smith type, especially his KC years - accurate who doesn't turn the ball over.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of Goff's game, but the Lions really aren't in too bad of shape with him at QB over the next 2 years. It gives them some flexibility in terms of trying to find a young QB. The roster is nowhere near good enough to compete with a rookie QB. They need about 8 starters on defense.

Not really big on the name franchise QB. I'd take a Alex Smith type, especially his KC years - accurate who doesn't turn the ball over.

Alex Smith/any game manager doesn't win with a defense like the Lions have even though we kinda have a run game.

Heck we are losing scoring 35 PPG now leading the freakin league. It's crazy. Goff clearly not the problem

Chark is a FA after this season. Having a good WR cheap for many years is a good thing. Cheap Jameson also means cap space for other things. Maybe a vet DT or LB that can really help this defense. I see DTs move all the time and help teams. DJ Reeder for the Bengals defense for instance. Or find a Vita Vea type in the draft too this year hopefully.

Lions had a big list. WR is checked off right now with St Brown, Jameson and Reynolds back next year and beyond for the two. TE set with Hock this year and next. Tackle set. Center set. Guard set once healthy or can dump Vaitai for a cheaper one and considerable cap space.

Brockers gone. Frees up cap space too. Romeo Okwara potential cut too for cap space if he doesn't get healthy.

Lions can revamp the defense greatly with BOTH FAs and 2 1st round picks and 2nd round pick next year.

Now if they move on from Goff for a QB if he fails the rest of the year, then that might be needed too with one of the 1sts but it takes away from the defense for not much gain offensively (35 PPG already)

Alex Smith/any game manager doesn't win with a defense like the Lions have even though we kinda have a run game.

Heck we are losing scoring 35 PPG now leading the freakin league. It's crazy. Goff clearly not the problem

Chark is a FA after this season. Having a good WR cheap for many years is a good thing. Cheap Jameson also means cap space for other things. Maybe a vet DT or LB that can really help this defense. I see DTs move all the time and help teams. DJ Reeder for the Bengals defense for instance. Or find a Vita Vea type in the draft too this year hopefully.

Lions had a big list. WR is checked off right now with St Brown, Jameson and Reynolds back next year and beyond for the two. TE set with Hock this year and next. Tackle set. Center set. Guard set once healthy or can dump Vaitai for a cheaper one and considerable cap space.

Brockers gone. Frees up cap space too. Romeo Okwara potential cut too for cap space if he doesn't get healthy.

Lions can revamp the defense greatly with BOTH FAs and 2 1st round picks and 2nd round pick next year.

Now if they move on from Goff for a QB if he fails the rest of the year, then that might be needed too with one of the 1sts but it takes away from the defense for not much gain offensively (35 PPG already)

Peyton Manning in his prime doesn't work with this defense. So yeah I know. Just saying you don't need a great QB.

I wouldn't mind if we go LB LB in the first round. Its been years we went after a top LB. And we need them.

Lions need a mobile QB so the defense can learn how to defend against one.

I wouldn't mind if we go LB LB in the first round. Its been years we went after a top LB. And we need them.

We took a Round 1 LB in 2017. He is on the Lions practice squad now
Last Round 2 was Tavai

Let's just find one that works out. Rodrigo doing some things early though. Solid for any LB not just a rookie 6th rounder

Right now the top LBs
Henry Anderson EDGE, Heisman candidate and most likely gone top 3

Then LB Trenton Simpson Clemson
LB Noah Sewell Oregon (Penei's brother)

Last edited:
We took a Round 1 LB in 2017. He is on the Lions practice squad now
Last Round 2 was Tavai

Let's just find one that works out. Rodrigo doing some things early though. Solid for any LB not just a rookie 6th rounder

Right now the top LBs
Henry Anderson EDGE, Heisman candidate and most likely gone top 3

Then LB Trenton Simpson Clemson
LB Noah Sewell Oregon (Penei's brother)

Keep taking them until they work out.

Back