Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 6: Lions @ Cowboys Thread

Jets are way more banged up then the lions and they are 5-2. If we don?t start winning this week I want this coach fired. Miami and Green Bay are beatable.

Jets are way more banged up then the lions and they are 5-2. If we don?t start winning this week I want this coach fired. Miami and Green Bay are beatable.

Jets were pretty healthy. Until this week they got hit hard. Vera Tucker and Breece Hall are new injuries so hence 5-2 and now we shall see the rest of the way. And Jets quickly traded for James Robinson

Lost Bechton in training camp but signed Duane Brown quickly to replace him. and Jermaine Johnson 1st rounder dinged up some. Hutch was dinged up for us too.

So no, the Jets are nowhere near as hurt this season as the Lions.

Gonna request you list out all the injured players when you make these statements. Every single time.

Walker, Romeo Okwara from last year carrying over, Paschal until this week, Cominsky until this week only 10 snaps and with a club, Jameson Williams from college, Chark IR with risky ankle, St Brown (ankle and fake concussion on new NFL rule), Vaitai and his backup Kraemer, Ragnow a couple games, LG Jonah Jackson 3 games, Swift many games and still hurt, Onwuzurike IR, Charles Harris last 2 games and still hurt, AO 1 game and then benched but now back.

And then backups like Will Harris (2 games), Super Back Cabinda, Jerry Jacobs until this week, Ife Melifonwu, Cephus, ST gunner Bobby Price, Saivon Smith when he called him up from PS got put in an ambulance

Lions had to restructure Brockers and Vaitai to fit everyone on IR and top 53 and PS

Some losing teams are finally catching up injury wise though (Chargers for instance)

But the Lions are playing the super healthy Cowboys (Tyron Smith only but had Tyler Smith waiting in the wings). Eagles, Vikings had no injuries. Seattle had some in secondary and Lions even missing WRs galore dropped 45 then. Lions still had way more injuries than Seattle. Washington was pretty healthy too other than Chase Young and their RB.

Patriots were pretty healthy other than QB and Zappe might be better than Mac Jones

Dolphins are finally a team with some injuries at least that we will play (CB/nickel CB, Tackles and Ogbah). Tua back of course. Dak back of course. Zappe better than Mac.

It's always like 12 Lions players to like 2 of the opposing players.

Last edited:

I get we all want wins, but only giving ANY coach 23 games seems like a lot to ask anyone to do.

Campbell took over a team that was nearly VOID of talent. Traded its best player, Stafford, and basically just cut any bad contract. Built a pretty damn good offense in that time. They have to build a defense now and have to do it without the benefit of anything but mid level FA's.....because it's the fucking DETROIT LIONS.

You aren't comparing apples to apples.

I get we all want wins, but only giving ANY coach 23 games seems like a lot to ask anyone to do.

Campbell took over a team that was nearly VOID of talent. Traded its best player, Stafford, and basically just cut any bad contract. Built a pretty damn good offense in that time. They have to build a defense now and have to do it without the benefit of anything but mid level FA's.....because it's the fucking DETROIT LIONS.

You aren't comparing apples to apples.

I think the Jets are a good comparison. Both teams have been really shitty for a while. The Lions decided to build an offense and basically ignore the D. The Jets decided to draft a young QB and build a defense. So far it seems that the Jets are doing a much better job.

I think the Jets are a good comparison. Both teams have been really shitty for a while. The Lions decided to build an offense and basically ignore the D. The Jets decided to draft a young QB and build a defense. So far it seems that the Jets are doing a much better job.

Wilson is 32nd in QB rating. He stinks. 2021 they went all offense in draft. Wilson, Vera Tucker, (injured now) Elijah Moore (head case) and Michael Carter

2022 defense and offense mix. Sauce Gardner and Jermaine Johnson but also Garret Wilson at WR and RB Breece Hall Round 2 (now hurt this week done for season) and Ruckert TE Round 3

Lions went Oline Sewell , Levi DT (hurt), McNeil DT, Ife (hurt)safety in Round 3
Then Hutch DE, WR with extra pick Jameson trading picks, DT/DE Paschal, safety (Joseph) in Round 3

So the Lions went defense more in the draft with 3 DTs and Hutch and two safeties.

Lions FA has been Okwara defense (hurt), Harris defense (good 2021 but now hurt) and Walker 2022 defense (hurt)

Lions had less cap space

Jets FA was big money to guard Laken Tomlinson (former Lion 1st rounder), CJ Uzomah TE from Bengals coming off injury, another TE blocking Tyler Conklin decent deal, safety Jordan Whitehead and Will Parks cheap, and resign their CB DJ Reed. Lost a good safety in Marcus Maye in FA.

2021 FA they added Carl Lawson (good, Okwara just as good), WR Corey Davis as big signings and signed Jarrad Davis for 6 million lol.

Last edited:
The Jets have beat the Browns with a backup QB, Steelers with Trubisky, Dolphins with Skylar Thompson, Green Bay struggling and Russel Wilson hurt and with terrible Broncos offense

Jets might be the biggest fraud in the league right now

Lions 5-2 with that schedule

Lions have played lone undefeated team Eagles (they were super healthy), Vikings (super healthy) one loss team (to the undefeated team) who we had beat, good defense in Cowboys (super health) and Seattle leads the NFC West with Geno 3rd in QB rating and Seattle running wild on offense. at Patriots is tough when the Lions are so injured too and don't trust the kicker 7 times in their territory and beat Washington (who has 3 wins now)

Last edited:

Wait - what other kind of quarterback ever gets drafted? Aren?t they pretty much all around the same age?

The Jets have beat the Browns with a backup QB, Steelers with Trubisky, Dolphins with Skylar Thompson, Green Bay struggling and Russel Wilson hurt and with terrible Broncos offense

Jets might be the biggest fraud in the league right now

Lions 5-2 with that schedule

Lions have played lone undefeated team Eagles (they were super healthy), Vikings (super healthy) one loss team (to the undefeated team) who we had beat, good defense in Cowboys (super health) and Seattle leads the NFC West with Geno 3rd in QB rating and Seattle running wild on offense. at Patriots is tough when the Lions are so injured too and don't trust the kicker 7 times in their territory and beat Washington (who has 3 wins now)

The Lions wouldn't be 5-2 with any schedule. They give up 32.3 points per game, which is dead last in the league. On average, the teams that the Lions have played have scored 10 more points than their season average, which includes the Lions games. My guess is it's probably more like 13-14 more points if you only count their opponents other than the Lions.

The injury excuse is also old. The Lions may have a lot of injuries, but the reason they suck so bad is lack of depth. I find it laughable that you continue to count Jamison Williams as an injury...the dumb asses drafted him knowing that he had a very serious injury and wasn't going to play for at least the first 1/2 of the season. That's not bad injury luck, it's bad drafting.

Last edited:

Maybe. IMO, the Lions went for BPA. Most of the impact players have been offensive, but to say they "ignored the D" is wildly inaccurate.

In 2021 4 of their 7 picks were D. They thought Sewell was BPA. At the time, that was hard to argue. Yes, if they had a do over they would take Parsons in a heartbeat, but NOBODY on this planet thought that Micah Parsons would be as good of an edge rusher as he has been.

Their next 3 picks were all D. Levi has been a massive bust. McNeil has been very solid and Melifonwu less than spectacular. A guy named Amon Ra was next so that's been pretty good.

In 2022 they used 6 of their 8 picks on D and Hutch was 2nd overall, obviously. They moved up a bit to take Jameson....who could end up being the best offensive player in the draft. Time will tell on that. Paschal was great his 1st game. That's at least a plus.....and a hernia repair is not a long lasting injury. Kirby flashed a couple times Sunday. Rodrigo has been REALLY good for a rookie LB. Lucas has a shot to develop.

They aren't ignoring the D. Do they need to make a bigger impact through free agency on that side of the ball, yes. Especially this year. The Lions NEED to get a couple impact defenders on this team via FA. My guess is this will be another defensive heavy draft, as well. And yes, they need to hit on a couple big time defenders.

As for the comparison to the Jets. I also think the QUICKEST way to wins is defensively, and the Jets have done that better. But, that doesn't mean it will lead to any real long term success. They are winning by taking the ball out of their QB's hands at this point. That is a problem.

As I said, MY OWN patience level with DC is longer than 23 games. And you have to remember....even thought the Lions have also been bad for the last 5 years.....they were making moves like they were a playoff team. Almost every player Patricia brought in was awful.....and he traded away Slay and Diggs....both still big time playmakers....for next to NOTHING because he didn't like them questioning what was an AWFUL scheme. I think it's safe to say this defense would be farther along with those 2 players.

Maybe. IMO, the Lions went for BPA. Most of the impact players have been offensive, but to say they "ignored the D" is wildly inaccurate.

In 2021 4 of their 7 picks were D. They thought Sewell was BPA. At the time, that was hard to argue. Yes, if they had a do over they would take Parsons in a heartbeat, but NOBODY on this planet thought that Micah Parsons would be as good of an edge rusher as he has been.

Their next 3 picks were all D. Levi has been a massive bust. McNeil has been very solid and Melifonwu less than spectacular. A guy named Amon Ra was next so that's been pretty good.

In 2022 they used 6 of their 8 picks on D and Hutch was 2nd overall, obviously. They moved up a bit to take Jameson....who could end up being the best offensive player in the draft. Time will tell on that. Paschal was great his 1st game. That's at least a plus.....and a hernia repair is not a long lasting injury. Kirby flashed a couple times Sunday. Rodrigo has been REALLY good for a rookie LB. Lucas has a shot to develop.

They aren't ignoring the D. Do they need to make a bigger impact through free agency on that side of the ball, yes. Especially this year. The Lions NEED to get a couple impact defenders on this team via FA. My guess is this will be another defensive heavy draft, as well. And yes, they need to hit on a couple big time defenders.

As for the comparison to the Jets. I also think the QUICKEST way to wins is defensively, and the Jets have done that better. But, that doesn't mean it will lead to any real long term success. They are winning by taking the ball out of their QB's hands at this point. That is a problem.

As I said, MY OWN patience level with DC is longer than 23 games. And you have to remember....even thought the Lions have also been bad for the last 5 years.....they were making moves like they were a playoff team. Almost every player Patricia brought in was awful.....and he traded away Slay and Diggs....both still big time playmakers....for next to NOTHING because he didn't like them questioning what was an AWFUL scheme. I think it's safe to say this defense would be farther along with those 2 players.

point taken. I will should change my phrasing from ignore the D in the draft to whiffed on the D.

You don't draft back to back DL when they had other needs. Drafting a WR that was severely hurt was dumb but trading up for him was idiotic.

Last edited:
Lions were scoring 35 a game. They could have done much better against those crap offense the Jets faced. Lions faced actual good teams

And depth doesnt matter if the backups are hurt too. Chark and Jameson and St Brown and Cephus and Reynolds banged up. Plus Swift. Guard was Vaitai and Kraemer top backup and Jackson and Ragnow hurt at points

Defense it was like half the dline and backups. Romeo and Charles Harris are big ones. Levi is pass rushing talent with potential from round 2 but hurt.Then Paschal, Cominksy are the top backups but Paschal is back and played well. Joseph did step up for Walker recently. Ife cant see the field either. Will Harris, Jacobs and Price are 3 backup cbs injured

Lions have problems too. Brockers, AO, Anzalone and Mike Hughes are problems that will be replaced as we get cap space and another draft

You don't draft back to back DL when they had other needs. Drafting a WR that was severely hurt was dumb but trading up for him was idiotic.

2 dts were a need. You can play both. And they thought Barnes would do more, found a solid starter in rodrigo and anzalone hadnt played a snap for lions yet when those dts were drafted. Also Jamie Collins was on the team, very capable and big money. Collins, Anzalone and Barnes was their LB attempt so dt was more a need at the time

2 dts were a need. You can play both. And they thought Barnes would do more, found a solid starter in rodrigo and anzalone hadnt played a snap for lions yet when those dts were drafted. Also Jamie Collins was on the team, very capable and big money. Collins, Anzalone and Barnes was their LB attempt so dt was more a need at the time

Not when before the draft they decided on a 3-4 defense they don't. They could never start them both. I always went with the fact first 3 rounds should be starters, not depth. And together in 2021 they weren't even a full player each player had 37% defensive snaps.

Not when before the draft they decided on a 3-4 defense they don't. They could never start them both. I always went with the fact first 3 rounds should be starters, not depth. And together in 2021 they weren't even a full player each player had 37% defensive snaps.

They needed two 3 4 de and nt which was levi, mcneil and brockers. AA, Collins were ilbs. Okwara and flowers and julian okwara olbs. Yes they needed 3 starters in dline and were srt at the lb level and added barnes

They needed two 3 4 de and nt which was levi, mcneil and brockers. AA, Collins were ilbs. Okwara and flowers and julian okwara olbs. Yes they needed 3 starters in dline and were srt at the lb level and added barnes

it looks like they still need 3 starters on the DL, 3 LBs, & 2 or 3 DBs :lmao:

it looks like they still need 3 starters on the DL, 3 LBs, & 2 or 3 DBs :lmao:

Paschal/Cominsky, Harris, McNeil, Romeo Okwara and Hutch on the Dline. Will need one DT to upgrade when they cut Brockers for cap space.

Need a starting MIKE LB. Rodriguez is set at the other LB and Barnes is good backup depth

Secondary they will need CB2 and nickel CB and SS as AO, Mike Hughes and DeShon Elliot all hit free agency. Jerry Jacobs and Parker could step up in the CB roles but Lions will have plenty of draft capital and FA cap space to fill these holes. Looks like Kerby Joseph is good filling in for Walker (returning from achilles). And then Ife and Levi just can't stay healthy but if they ever do, could provide a boost at DT and safety depth.

Offense they need a QB. And might upgrade over Jamaal Williams (incoming FA). If they switch out Vaitai (50/50) for cap space, they will go cheap at RG

Last edited:
Back