Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hock to the Vikings

?I think we both have the mindset of the whole trading within the division is, I think in our mind, it?s a little archaic way of thinking,? Holmes said. ?When we make these kind of decisions, I?m totally at peace

?Like I said, T.J.?s a good football player. The next time we play him, he?ll still be a good football player. And so he?ll make a play, or make some plays, and score a touchdown or whatever he does, and, yeah, the camera will be in my face and I?ll look at it and I?ll wave and that?s just it. But all those things we talk about. I think we?re very similar when it comes to that and he understands that, yeah, he got a good football player but we didn?t give him away for free, either. So it works both ways.?

Everyone wave to Brad Holmes when Hock scores a bunch of TDs on us

?I think we both have the mindset of the whole trading within the division is, I think in our mind, it?s a little archaic way of thinking,? Holmes said. ?When we make these kind of decisions, I?m totally at peace

?Like I said, T.J.?s a good football player. The next time we play him, he?ll still be a good football player. And so he?ll make a play, or make some plays, and score a touchdown or whatever he does, and, yeah, the camera will be in my face and I?ll look at it and I?ll wave and that?s just it. But all those things we talk about. I think we?re very similar when it comes to that and he understands that, yeah, he got a good football player but we didn?t give him away for free, either. So it works both ways.?

Everyone wave to Brad Holmes when Hock scores a bunch of TDs on us

It is an archaic way of thinking. Hock could leave Minnesota this year in FA. Take the best deal available.

It's not like Minnesota wasn't better than us BEFORE this trade as well.

It is an archaic way of thinking. Hock could leave Minnesota this year in FA. Take the best deal available.

It's not like Minnesota wasn't better than us BEFORE this trade as well.

We almost beat them. We'll see in a few weeks.

But Hock will be there after this year too. They still hold the 5th year option for 9.3 million cap hit. Then could tag him too or extend him but it will be costly

I don't care that we traded in division, I care that we didn't get any extra picks just moved up in the draft. Though if they are going to use the Rams pick and need to move up for a QB and use that Vikings pick, then it makes some sense. And then we still get the pass rush game wrecker Anderson with the top pick

But Hock will be there after this year too. They still hold the 5th year option for 9.3 million cap hit. Then could tag him too or extend him but it will be costly

I don't care that we traded in division, I care that we didn't get any extra picks just moved up in the draft. Though if they are going to use the Rams pick and need to move up for a QB and use that Vikings pick, then it makes some sense. And then we still get the pass rush game wrecker Anderson with the top pick

Or we can stay put and have 4 picks in the first two rounds. Qb early followed by 3 defensive picks.

There is more to teams than just the draft. FA, coaching, development etc but would be interesting to see hits and misses at an individual draft level

Remember when SF traded up with the Dolphins to draft Trey Lance? MIA used those draft picks to draft Jaylen Waddle, add Tyreek Hill, and most recently traded for Bradley Chubb. Can we trade for their GM? Yes please.

Remember when SF traded up with the Dolphins to draft Trey Lance? MIA used those draft picks to draft Jaylen Waddle, add Tyreek Hill, and most recently traded for Bradley Chubb. Can we trade for their GM? Yes please.

That is definitely using your draft capital wisely.....but it's not like those deals are available every year. It's takes a perfect storm of player (usually a QB) being in a draft position quite a ways out of Team X's reach, and then Team X being desperate enough to make a MASSIVE deal AND have that kind of draft capital to make it. And on top of that.....having a guy like Tyreek Hill become available IN HIS PRIME.

Not saying it couldn't happen again......but those deals are few and far between.

That one Darrell Bevell win against the Bears in 2020 cost the Lions ability for those trades (though I don't think Tyreek or Chubb would ever pick Detroit). Also Holmes made a deal getting two 1sts, 3rd and Goff for Stafford (who wanted out). So it's not like Holmes didn't add a bunch of 1sts either. Jameson Williams, Ife Melifonwu and Rams 2023 pick will need to start producing soon. Could Jameson be a much cheaper version of Tyreek Hill, just a good player, just an average starter or a bust. We will see eventually.

Dolphins got that pick from trading Laremy Tunsil in a contract dispute to Houston for all of this. Tunsil dropped to Dolphins in his draft because of that gas mask incident.

Last edited:

He very well could be. A $9.5M cap hit for a good but not great TE is quite a bit. They could go the extension route to lower the number for a couple years but that still leaves them with a good but not great TE on a back loaded contract that will count the most against the cap when he is in the declining stages of his career.

Holmes made that trade for one reason. He simply didn't think Hockenson was worth the upcoming cap numbers. Plain and simple. He took the best deal available to him regardless of who it was with.

Time will tell if he is right about that gamble or not. I would rather a GM have a plan and stick to it regardless of public opinion than to just cave to whatever the media/fans say. There is a reason he is in the position he is in and we are sitting here blogging about it.

He very well could be. A $9.5M cap hit for a good but not great TE is quite a bit. They could go the extension route to lower the number for a couple years but that still leaves them with a good but not great TE on a back loaded contract that will count the most against the cap when he is in the declining stages of his career.

Holmes made that trade for one reason. He simply didn't think Hockenson was worth the upcoming cap numbers. Plain and simple. He took the best deal available to him regardless of who it was with.

Time will tell if he is right about that gamble or not. I would rather a GM have a plan and stick to it regardless of public opinion than to just cave to whatever the media/fans say. There is a reason he is in the position he is in and we are sitting here blogging about it.

Holmes will get his shot to fill all the remaining holes, including the newly formed TE hole. Not rewarding good players with 2nd contracts can be a problem if it becomes a trend for Holmes. He gave Tracy Walker and Romeo Okwara deals and they of course got hurt. So not his fault there but he shouldn't shy away from extending good players drafted by the Lions. Let's see what Holmes does. He does not value off ball LB and TE, that is for sure so it could work out but more pressure on the rest of the offense now.

Holmes will get his shot to fill all the remaining holes, including the newly formed TE hole. Not rewarding good players with 2nd contracts can be a problem if it becomes a trend for Holmes. He gave Tracy Walker and Romeo Okwara deals and they of course got hurt. So not his fault there but he shouldn't shy away from extending good players drafted by the Lions. Let's see what Holmes does. He does not value off ball LB and TE, that is for sure so it could work out but more pressure on the rest of the offense now.

I don't think it's an issue of not valuing TE's.....I just think they are looking for a more athletic pass catching TE. More Darren Waller type than Hockenson. I know everyone here would absolutely hate it, and I can't say that I'd love it, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they Lions drafted a guy like Brock Bowers from GA in '24. And they would have to use a 1st rounder to do it. (insert Pettigrew, Ebron jokes here)

I don't think it's an issue of not valuing TE's.....I just think they are looking for a more athletic pass catching TE. More Darren Waller type than Hockenson. I know everyone here would absolutely hate it, and I can't say that I'd love it, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if they Lions drafted a guy like Brock Bowers from GA in '24. And they would have to use a 1st rounder to do it. (insert Pettigrew, Ebron jokes here)

Rams were Round 3 and 4 guys with Everett and Higbee

We are due in 2024

2009,2014,2019,2024. It's a trend from Pettigrew to Ebron to Hock to the GA guy

When he was traded to Minnesota Hock finally said it would be nice to go somewhere and win games.

Since the trade and Pleasant Firing both teams are 4-1.
Minnesota last five games 116-135. Points for and against.
Detroit last five games 142-99. Points for and against.

When he was traded to Minnesota Hock finally said it would be nice to go somewhere and win games.

Since the trade and Pleasant Firing both teams are 4-1.
Minnesota last five games 116-135. Points for and against.
Detroit last five games 142-99. Points for and against.

MN chance for the playoffs this year >99%
Lions 8%

MN chance for the playoffs this year >99%
Lions 8%

If the Lions do get in, they will likely play the Vikings as 2 seed. Then Lions can beat Hock twice since the trade.

First up this Sunday. Should be a fun game with revenge on the mind. Gonna enjoy pick 61 and the 3rd rounder in 2024 for sure too and that lack of 5th year option cap space

I'll be interested to see how much the Vikings have to pay Hock. Lions offense isn't missing him at all yet. More WR centric seemed to help matters even

Last edited:
If the Lions do get in, they will likely play the Vikings as 2 seed. Then Lions can beat Hock twice since the trade.

First up this Sunday. Should be a fun game with revenge on the mind. Gonna enjoy pick 61 and the 3rd rounder in 2024 for sure too and that lack of 5th year option cap space

I'll be interested to see how much the Vikings have to pay Hock. Lions offense isn't missing him at all yet. More WR centric seemed to help matters even

which is it?

Wait. We give up two picks in 4th and Hock to move up to 2nd round in 2023 and 3rd in 2024?

That seems way too low for him.

Dumb trade Holmes. Better nail both of those picks with pro bowlers

Dumb trade but going to enjoy the higher picks amd cap space still either way. 2024 4th becomes 5th only if vikings win a playoff game

Created a hole at te still but with wr centric it seemed to work out. It can be a dumb trade but also work out for the lions

Back