Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I hope everybody had a woke Columbus Day.

Here's a "muting" of the cultures in its nascent stages:

https://youtu.be/eB8K1jPBnwc

I forgot he pulls a gun on him over that.

in the movie he goes on to marry Sean Connery's character's daughter, and their mixed-ethnicity kids have trouble identifying with Italian-American and Scots Irish (or whatever) culture, much to Sean Connery's character's chagrin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought that FDR appointing a good Italian American attorney, Ferdinand Pecora, to chair the senate investigation into the sleazy banking practices at the start of the New Deal, was an intentional choice to drive the WASP-y bankers nuts. (but I guess FDR didn't appoint him, though he retained him in that role.)

The Untouchables was set in Chicago though.

Italian Americans in Chicago retained more of the stereotypes, especially in the city.

I have another anecdote about that: in law school, I joined the Chicago chapter of the Italian American Lawyer society (ironically called "The Justinians" even though Justinian's reign marked the transition of the Byzantine Empire from Roman to Greek), and they (jokingly?) questioned whether I was really Italian, and called me an "Egghead"

Juuuuuust kidding.

We have a new national holiday now, Juneteenth.

Even most Republicans went along with passing the law, after Marjorie Taylor Greene explained that in the first two years the holiday would fall on a Saturday and then a Sunday anyway, and that in 2023 the new Congressional Republican majorities could rescind the new holiday before privileged white taxpayers would have to pay for any black federal employees to have yet another paid day off at privileged white taxpayers expense!

So enjoy it while you can my people!

Everyone have a very woke Juneteenth!

I am torn about what to post here.

I kinda want a parody on Cheech n Chong "Cinco de Mayo"...

But I am also thinking a parody on the parody by Jewbellish "I'm taking off"...

Ooohhh, maybe a Mashup of the two parodies?

Or would that be too...dare I say it???...paradoxical? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Juneteenth is real. It's when Confederate treasonous armed rebellion in TX finally ended, and Union troops landed in Galveston to announce it.

Ironically, I had never heard of it until I moved to Houston (the South?)

They have parades and everything here. It should have been a national holiday all this time. ending slavery is unquestionably good, and we should celebrate the day our country finally did that. Can anyone who's not a racist lunatic disagree with that statement?

Juuuuuust kidding.

We have a new national holiday now, Juneteenth.

Even most Republicans went along with passing the law, after Marjorie Taylor Greene explained that in the first two years the holiday would fall on a Saturday and then a Sunday anyway, and that in 2023 the new Congressional Republican majorities could rescind the new holiday before privileged white taxpayers would have to pay for any black federal employees to have yet another paid day off at privileged white taxpayers expense!

So enjoy it while you can my people!

Everyone have a very woke Juneteenth!

Marjie got some of the details wrong - apparently the law gives federal workers the option of taking the day off with pay today. I assume that will be the case for next year as well.

As for it becoming a bank holiday, if I'm not mistaken it will have to go through the same process MLK Day did when it was swapped for Columbus Day because of some law restricting the number of bank holidays per year. Another national bank holiday will have to be taken away.

Juneteenth is real. It's when Confederate treasonous armed rebellion in TX finally ended, and Union troops landed in Galveston to announce it.

They have parades and everything here. It should have been a national holiday all this time. ending slavery is unquestionably good, and we should celebrate the day our country finally did that. Can anyone who's not a racist lunatic disagree with that statement?

Given you've demonstrated time and again you're by far the most racist person who regularly posts here, I'd say it would be difficult to find someone that disagrees with it - at least the part about it being unquestionably good.

Sadly, slavery is far from eradicated from even this nation. And the actual date that slavery was banned by the constitution was December 6, 1865.

Last edited:
Sadly, slavery is far from eradicated from even this nation. And the actual date that slavery was banned by the constitution was December 6, 1865.

And September-December are names meaning the 7-10th months we use to describe the 9-12th months and Christmas is a celebration of a day that probably wasn't in winter.

And September-December are names meaning the 7-10th months we use to describe the 9-12th months and Christmas is a celebration of a day that probably wasn't in winter.

I?m kinda more concerned that people are celebrating the end of one ?manor? of slavery when others are still prevalent in our society. Pervasive, in fact.

juneteenth sounds so stupid.

I want to agree with you but I'm a little apprehensive. Can one of the more woke posters tell us if this is super racist, kinda racist or not racist? I'm not an expert but from what I do know, I feel like somebody would be really offended by this.

So, by now, everyone probably knows that the legendary and iconic Rita Moreno has come under criticism for this:

From @ 1:10 to 2:30
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CrM5M1ZK1JU

I guess some on the all important Twitterverse are woke scolding supposedly minority pioneer artist Lin Manuel Miranda for not casting a woke enough cast for ?In the Heights.?

So the next day, Rita felt the need to apologize for exercising her fist amendment rights.

Now, had I been coaching the great Diva, this is what I would have advised her to clarify when she says the woke scolds are attacking the wrong person:

?Blame the fuckin? Jews who run Hollywood! They?re the ones who make the big money decisions! Sure, Lin Manuel would have loved to cast more afrolatinx, but right now the Jews who control the media are busy selling the chicoms - where the real pay day is - NBA basketball, and they just figured that was pretty much the limit for marketing shines to the chicoms at this time - sad, but you gotta understand, the Jews know what they?re doing when it comes to the Benjamins.?

That woulda done it.

And it would have been reasonable to the woke.

No apology necessary.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot - if anyone is NOT offended by this - I truly apologize.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not not offended - I must be woke.

Also, Rita doesn't seem like the kind of girl that would use the f-word.

Back