Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I hope everybody had a woke Columbus Day.

valid or not valid?

woke is to the left as red pilled is to the right.

valid or not valid?

woke is to the left as red pilled is to the right.

It ain?t bad.

Which pill does our friend tigermud refer to when describing lefties as not being aware of what?s going on? Because the blue one perpetrates the illusion.

The red pill is the one that pulls back the curtain.

How is THAT for mixing up a whole lotta metaphors?

It ain?t bad.

Which pill does our friend tigermud refer to when describing lefties as not being aware of what?s going on? Because the blue one perpetrates the illusion.

The red pill is the one that pulls back the curtain.

How is THAT for mixing up a whole lotta metaphors?

I think that's the same one. Matrix creators were all upset about it getting used the way it is.

By now everyone who didn?t know probably has been caught up, June 19 marks the date that the ?last slaves? to be made aware of their emancipation was achieved by union soldiers in Galveston Texas, two years after the emancipation proclamation.

Sounds like there might be an amount of urban legend to that; but whatever, I?m happy to go with it.

The emancipation proclamation was actually signed itself on January 1, but that is already a holiday.

Now here is how I?m going to celebrate my first official Juneteenth as a federal holiday: I think it was up to a few months ago that I added this, Miss Juneteenth to my Netflix queue.

I was going through relatively new releases, I recognized the lead actresses, Nicole Beharie, primarily from having seen ?42? starring the late great Chadwick Boseman as Jackie Robinson; also Harrison Ford as Branch Rickey and Chris Meloni as Leo Durocher. Nicole plays Jackie?s wife.

It seemed like it would be a cool story to check out so I added it.

What do you know - I just checked and Miss Juneteenth happens to be being delivered either today or tomorrow - is that some auspicious shit, or what?

Maybe I?m more woke than I think!

Last edited:
That's some old school netflix.

I know, right?

One thing that chaps my ass is when I get a disk only to discover that it?s already streaming on a platform I already have.

That?s not quite the case with this movie; it is streaming for me on my Amazon prime, but there?s a $3.99 rental fee. So I?ll take the disc.

And September-December are names meaning the 7-10th months we use to describe the 9-12th months and Christmas is a celebration of a day that probably wasn't in winter.

That is because the Romans used to begin their calendar year on March 1st. At that time, September was the 7th month, Oct - 8th, Nov - 9th, and Dec - 10th. Then there were the winter months which did not count. This was all due to the agriculture timelines and since "Winter" was a barren time they did not even provide that timeframe with names on the calendar.

I might be mistaken, but I believe the change coincided with the Council that proclaimed Christianity was to be the new religion of the Roman Empire, combined with their need to assimilate Christians into the Roman Empire to acquire more members of their military. With that, I believe they moved the start of the calendar with two new months of January and February...yet retained the order of the subsequent months and thus we have this numerical silliness.

If it helps, you can think of September as the 7th month for agriculture. I realize that is probably small consolation, but that's the best I can do at the moment.

It was and is still a dumb holiday I just call it who gives a shit day now

It was and is still a dumb holiday I just call it who gives a shit day now

What is dumb? Columbus Day? Indigenous people day? Woke Columbus Day?

What I like about ?Woke Columbus Day? is that it acknowledges ?OK, so the guy wasn?t perfect ? who is??

Also, Columbus Day has kind of traditionally been St. Patrick?s Day for Italian Americans.

Now if a person wants to call it indigenous peoples day, hey it?s a free country, but I think those people should grow a sack and call it what they really want to call it - indigenous people who Columbus killed day.

Also, Columbus Day has kind of traditionally been St. Patrick?s Day for Italian Americans.

Not for me. I don't recall my Italian American relatives ever celebrating it growing up, either. Maybe it was bigger in Chicago or on the East Coast.

A search engine search of ?Italian Columbus Day Parade? is showing me events all over the place ? Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Cleveland, San Francisco? All kinds of Italian commemoration today on Columbus Day.

I didn?t check for anything in Houston. Not specifically.

A search engine search of ?Italian Columbus Day Parade? is showing me events all over the place ? Chicago, New York, New Jersey, Cleveland, San Francisco? All kinds of Italian commemoration today on Columbus Day.

I didn?t check for anything in Houston. Not specifically.

I grew up in Detroit. What about there?

I grew up in Detroit. What about there?

Here is a little something. Some of the events look they have been canceled due to lack of participation.

Houston.

The places I mentioned in the previous post - I forgot to add that Philadelphia came up ? are fairly well-known to have large Italian populations.

I don?t know that Detroit nor Houston are really known for that.

Back