Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I think Aidan Hutchinson might be number 1 pick after today

I think the Caldwell firing was the most upsetting not just because he was able to produce borderline playoff teams, but I always had the impression the players liked him. Didn't get the same sense with Gym, and obviously Fatty is lucky a player didn't physically assault him as he was a real POS apparently.

DC is another player's coach. I really hope fans don't run him out of town like they did Caldwell, but it appears several already are. People do not get how a Player's Coach might not be the best technical coach, but will get players performing as a team and produce better results than they would with a different coach.

I think a better GM with Caldwell would have provided better talent for him. He could have produced the Playoff wins with just slightly better talent. GMs have been the issue more than the coaches IMO, especially in Caldwell's case.

Fire Lynn and Bring in a real OC then get the play sheet out of DC's hands and over to the new OC, problem solved.

Last edited:
Fire Lynn and Bring in a real OC then get the play sheet out of DC's hands and over to the new OC, problem solved.

I'm on board with that. I think it will happen this off season.

Need a younger offensive mind that has the same aggressive mindset that DC does but a more downfield passing attack. I know that requires upgraded WR's but hopefully a couple will be coming this off season.

Joe Lombardi OC of the 9th ranked ppg offense chargers. Yes he is really the oc and succeeding
Joe Barry DC for 5th ranked defense packers. Yes he is rrally having success
Patricia back with Patriots but as a personnel guy

Lions need talent and then Lynn can succeed. Execute, learn, communicate well, grow as players. People are too quick to just bash playcalling.

If there is a difference in philosophy, Lynn will be gone though

Hard to find those coordinator geniuses..schwartz and patricia supposed to be that on defense but they hired dinosaurs in Gunther and Pasqualoni

Could lions upgrade at qb coach..i think so there

I look at things like after the win...on the field Goff ran directly to Campbell and hugged him. LOTS of players after Goff did as well. In the locker room, they dedicated a game ball to him and the players surrounded him jumping up and down and yelling.

A 1-10-1 first time head coach has that locker room. They play hard for him. I think they like him. That certainly doesn't guarantee success.....but its really good for a young team. He needs to be better in his in game decisions. He continues to take crucial timeouts to make some of the difficult decisions. I love how aggressive he is....but he seems to be trying to always outsmart the opponent instead of going with what works. He is the type of coach that needs good coordinators.....but that's ok.....some of the best coaches out there do.

Time will certainly tell if he can be the coach of a successful team.....but I do think he's the right guy RIGHT NOW. In a year or two if we have a much more talented roster and he's still making the same mistakes and the team is no longer playing above their heads.....that will certainly be telling of his coaching ability.

Exactly. And you only have to look at the Jags situation to recognize how different the situation could be. EVERYONE...players, fans and press...are pushing to get rid of Urban NOW. They don't even want to wait until the end of the season, they want his ass gone immediately.

DC...while a few fans think he is not the right guy, the majority of fans, media, and especially the players are loving DC as the coach. When the team plays roughly .500 next year, the January 2023 FAs are going to take notice. He will have shown the Lions are on an upward trajectory and he is a player's coach. The only remaining obstacle is money, which if the Lions play it conservatively this year, they will have considerable money to offer that year.

They will be a playoff level team in 2023 and championship level team in 2024, in no small part due to DC being a player's coach for whom FAs will WANT to play. I think this will be especially true on Defense if they pick up Hutch. The Lions D is going to be really good next year and in 2023 and 2024 will be a dominating defense that propels them to a SB victory in 2024 and likely repeat in 2025.

This is a fantastic time to be a Lions fan...because DC is exactly the right type of coach to make this happen. What defensive player doesn't want to play for a coach who wants guys who will bite kneecaps? Did you hear what Teddy Bridgewater said about DC? He said after listening to DC - who was the TE coach at the time - gave a pep talk, he so fired up the team that everyone wanted to go punch somebody, including him as a backup QB. The guy is a master of the locker room, all he needs are solid OC, DC, and position coaches... which in terms of the defense are already there as those guys are playing WAY above their talent level. A top OC, and I would suggest a top OL coach, would really turn the offense around too.

Hell, I would even argue that despite their record, DC deserves consideration for Coach of the Year.

Jax drafted a bad QB. Bad team and all watching this guy he's not any good. Coach of the Year with two wins? Are you freakin' crazy?

I'm on board with that. I think it will happen this off season.

Need a younger offensive mind that has the same aggressive mindset that DC does but a more downfield passing attack. I know that re
quires upgraded WR's but hopefully a couple will be coming this off season.

We've has so many offensive coordinators I'm thinking trying new ones won't help. The only reason they do it so us fans feel like we're going to be better the following year.

And the biggest problem is the team doesn't attract decent free agents. We have the draft only and so it takes longer.

Exactly. And you only have to look at the Jags situation to recognize how different the situation could be. EVERYONE...players, fans and press...are pushing to get rid of Urban NOW. They don't even want to wait until the end of the season, they want his ass gone immediately.

DC...while a few fans think he is not the right guy, the majority of fans, media, and especially the players are loving DC as the coach. When the team plays roughly .500 next year, the January 2023 FAs are going to take notice. He will have shown the Lions are on an upward trajectory and he is a player's coach. The only remaining obstacle is money, which if the Lions play it conservatively this year, they will have considerable money to offer that year.

They will be a playoff level team in 2023 and championship level team in 2024, in no small part due to DC being a player's coach for whom FAs will WANT to play. I think this will be especially true on Defense if they pick up Hutch. The Lions D is going to be really good next year and in 2023 and 2024 will be a dominating defense that propels them to a SB victory in 2024 and likely repeat in 2025.

This is a fantastic time to be a Lions fan...because DC is exactly the right type of coach to make this happen. What defensive player doesn't want to play for a coach who wants guys who will bite kneecaps? Did you hear what Teddy Bridgewater said about DC? He said after listening to DC - who was the TE coach at the time - gave a pep talk, he so fired up the team that everyone wanted to go punch somebody, including him as a backup QB. The guy is a master of the locker room, all he needs are solid OC, DC, and position coaches... which in terms of the defense are already there as those guys are playing WAY above their talent level. A top OC, and I would suggest a top OL coach, would really turn the offense around too.

Hell, I would even argue that despite their record, DC deserves consideration for Coach of the Year.

I think you and LKP have been drinking out of the same pitcher of kool aid:lmao:

I think you and LKP have been drinking out of the same pitcher of kool aid:lmao:

I get that the Lions history creates warranted skepticism, it is understandable.

I hope at some point during the upcoming transition you will be able to embrace the optimism. Hell, they really cannot get worse, at least not much worse...so the odds are much more in favor the team will improve under DC than regress.

We've has so many offensive coordinators I'm thinking trying new ones won't help. The only reason they do it so us fans feel like we're going to be better the following year.

And the biggest problem is the team doesn't attract decent free agents. We have the draft only and so it takes longer.

You have to keep trying to find the right ingredients. It is very evident they need a new OC, to not try finding one is inconceivable.

Back