Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kyle Pitts

detroit1811

So this board has been a little dead so how about a talking point. I know he is technically a TE, but Pitts is one of the most talented players in this draft. Is there a point where you are okay taking him, and if so when is it?

I know it is tough to admit, but I would be okay with it. I know this would be the 3rd TE taken top 10 before any other team has even taken one. He is a completely different TE then Hockenson and honestly would be much more WR then TE. Our base personnel would be 2 TE instead of 3 WR. Would create a ton of mismatches especially in the red zone. If we re-signed Golladay and got Pitts we could trot out one hell of a lineup inside the 10 yard line. Come out in three TE with Golladay who is one of the best inside the 10, Hockenson, Pitts, Hunter Bryant (who was considered the best pass catching TE last year by some), and Swift/a power back in the backfield and that could be pretty tough to stop. Add in an O-Line that should be solid and we could have a very dangerous ball control offense. On top of that if Pitts is a generational talent at TE we would pay him much less then a generational talent at WR. Look at Kelce and Hill as examples. Which does more for that offense? I would say it is very close either way. Kittle is the top TE at 15mil AAV. Hopkins is the top WR at 27.5mil.

If I had to rank my realistic choices at #7 right now i would say

#1 Chase
#2 Sewell
#3 Waddle
#4 Smith
#5 Parsons
#6 Pitts

If we say traded down to #12 and the rest of those guys are gone, but Pitts is sitting there I would take him. If they were all gone I would look to move down if possible as the board wouldn't match up with our needs and we could get the same value in the late teens, early twenties, IMO

Just trying to play a little devil's advocate here and see what everybody's thought were on the subject.

Last edited:
Realistically a TE, he is a TE. If you say he can be a WR why not just draft a WR?

Realistically a TE, he is a TE. If you say he can be a WR why not just draft a WR?

He has played TE his entire career. If you split him out wide for a majority of his snaps and he is used as a WR more often then not, he is still a TE.

Same way New Orleans used Jimmy Graham in New Orleans. He was basically a WR as much as he was split out wide or in the slot, but he is still listed as a TE. It is not a hard concept to grasp.

If he is as good as a WR but can play TE, it's a great weapon to have. You can line up with 2TE and run the ball if they have a nickel defense or if they stay in a base defense, both TEs just line up outside. It just depends if he can block like George Kittle or like Eric Ebron.

If you have a trade partner for Hockenson then maybe, just maybe you can consider Pitts.

If you have a trade partner for Hockenson then maybe, just maybe you can consider Pitts.

If that is the reality, then no you don't take Pitts. Hockenson is a proven commodity. Regardless this isn't adding Jason Witten in his Prime to Hockenson, that would be redundant.

This is having Rob Gronkowksi and Aaron Hernandez as far as a difference in skillsets.

If he is as good as a WR but can play TE, it's a great weapon to have. You can line up with 2TE and run the ball if they have a nickel defense or if they stay in a base defense, both TEs just line up outside. It just depends if he can block like George Kittle or like Eric Ebron.

We already have two TE's. We don't another he still won't be a WR.

He has played TE his entire career. If you split him out wide for a majority of his snaps and he is used as a WR more often then not, he is still a TE.

Same way New Orleans used Jimmy Graham in New Orleans. He was basically a WR as much as he was split out wide or in the slot, but he is still listed as a TE. It is not a hard concept to grasp.

Graham was a 3rd round pick so if he's like Graham wait until the 3rd round.

Graham was a 3rd round pick so if he's like Graham wait until the 3rd round.

I could say why take Parsons when you can find the next Bobby Wagner in the second. Or why take Lance when you can find the next Brady in the 6th?

My whole point was to get a read on what everyone thinks. I understand not wanting him, just thought it was an interesting discussion.

Matchup nightmare?

Not sure what you are asking? Pitts would be a very tough cover. 6' 6" 240 pounds and is still growing into his body. Would be a very difficult cover as a major size mismatch for a CB/S and much faster then most LB'ers.

I could say why take Parsons when you can find the next Bobby Wagner in the second. Or why take Lance when you can find the next Brady in the 6th?

My whole point was to get a read on what everyone thinks. I understand not wanting him, just thought it was an interesting discussion.

Its a discussion but my thoughts you go offense and we'll be doing this again in 5 years. Maybe 3 years. TB didn't win the SB because of Brady it was the defense.

No. We've been over this ad nauseum. It's too high for a TE. It just......IS. At #7 he better be able to be George Kittle or Travis Kelce within two years. He needs to be a difference maker in the passing and above average as a run blocker if you're taking him that high.

I like Hock......but he wasn't worth where was picked.

No. We've been over this ad nauseum. It's too high for a TE. It just......IS. At #7 he better be able to be George Kittle or Travis Kelce within two years. He needs to be a difference maker in the passing and above average as a run blocker if you're taking him that high.

I like Hock......but he wasn't worth where was picked.

They are talking about Pitts as a generational type talent at TE. Neither Ebron or even Hockenson were that. If I told you Pitts was going to be as good as Kelce in two years like you said would it be worth it then?

Like I said I think there will be much better options at 7 but if we drop down 4-5 spots I personally think he would be in play.

Back