Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kyle Pitts

They are talking about Pitts as a generational type talent at TE. Neither Ebron or even Hockenson were that. If I told you Pitts was going to be as good as Kelce in two years like you said would it be worth it then?

Like I said I think there will be much better options at 7 but if we drop down 4-5 spots I personally think he would be in play.

Yes.....if I knew he would be Kelce or Kittle by year 2 then absolutely it's worth it. But I don't think it's just dumb luck that the 3 best TE in football.......Waller, Kittle and Kelce......were 6th, 3rd and 5th round picks.

Not common, AT ALL, to find generational TE's in the first round. Kyle Brady, Rickey Dudley were supposed to be generational talents, too.

They weren't.

They are talking about Pitts as a generational type talent at TE. Neither Ebron or even Hockenson were that. If I told you Pitts was going to be as good as Kelce in two years like you said would it be worth it then?

Like I said I think there will be much better options at 7 but if we drop down 4-5 spots I personally think he would be in play.

Generational or not you don't draft another TE. It's like Drafting P. Manning and then Drew Brees 2 season's later. Makes no sense.

Generational or not you don't draft another TE. It's like Drafting P. Manning and then Drew Brees 2 season's later. Makes no sense.

Agreed. We have a good TE. Even if Pitts is better.......it doesn't improve the team, short or long term, more than drafting a WR or a LB would.

Last edited:
How'd that work out, SD wasted a pick on a QB they didn't need at the time. Should have went D.

I think it worked out pretty good. They ended up a QB that is a likely HOF. They never won a SB with Rivers, but they may have never won with Brees either. The year they let Brees go they went 14-2.

I think it worked out pretty good. They ended up a QB that is a likely HOF. They never won a SB with Rivers, but they may have never won with Brees either. The year they let Brees go they went 14-2.

Remember they want Eli and ones here think Eli is overrated. They never build the D up enough. Even Brees agrees "Drew Brees called Chargers' decision to pick new QB 'worst mistake ever'"

Could?ve said the same about Calvin. Could be a super similar situation. Do we sacrifice a possible generational talent because of past draft failures?

What happened with Calvin? The team he was on did jack shit. I guess 2021 isn't the year we try to improve the D. Maybe we can give up 600 points this season.

too many holes on defense:

Top 10 i like Parsons
10-15 i like Kwitty Paye
15-25 i like Zaven Collins

i guess hypothetically if we traded down to 15 and parsons and paye were gone then Pitts might just be too much value to pass up. There'd still be questions youd have to answer first...like are all 3 WRs off the board?

What happened with Calvin? The team he was on did jack shit. I guess 2021 isn't the year we try to improve the D. Maybe we can give up 600 points this season.

You could make that case literally about any other position as well when the organization is shit. Like what happened with Joe Thomas? What happened with JJ Watt? What happened with Darrelle Revis? I thought this discussion was about one player, not whether or not the team could continue to stockpile good players around him. Of course we need to make sure we hit on defensive picks too for it to matter. Also not saying Pitts has to be the pick. Just saying if he?s as good as they say, then I MIGHT be ok with him.

Hit on as many picks possible in as many years as possible. People forget that other things besides first round can help this team when discussing value. If it was Pitts (who works out well) and day 2, some day 3 was a success, then this team gets better.

I think all 3 WRs are better players though. I like Surtain or Caleb Farley over Pitts too. Maybe even Parsons or Collins or Owusu Koromoah

You could make that case literally about any other position as well when the organization is shit. Like what happened with Joe Thomas? What happened with JJ Watt? What happened with Darrelle Revis? I thought this discussion was about one player, not whether or not the team could continue to stockpile good players around him. Of course we need to make sure we hit on defensive picks too for it to matter. Also not saying Pitts has to be the pick. Just saying if he?s as good as they say, then I MIGHT be ok with him.

Has nothing to do about any player. Has nothing to about Pitts even its about building this defense up. Good players around Goff will not make the team better. We did that will Matt, WR's, RB's, OL, TE's - How about we build the defense for once. Only a moronic team would draft a TE at 7 after just taken one at 8. And if he's someone you line up at the TE position and want him to block some, he's a TE.

Has nothing to do about any player. Has nothing to about Pitts even its about building this defense up. Good players around Goff will not make the team better. We did that will Matt, WR's, RB's, OL, TE's - How about we build the defense for once. Only a moronic team would draft a TE at 7 after just taken one at 8. And if he's someone you line up at the TE position and want him to block some, he's a TE.

Yes we need defense too, but that is old school thinking. The reason it didn?t work with Matt was because we had too much hit and miss success with the talent we put around him. Some were good some were awful. We need to do a better job of getting at least TWO big time playmakers. It?s pretty much the standard of today?s nfl. The super bowl wasn?t just about defenses. These teams were loaded in the passing games. The league is changing. Playmakers are just as important as a defense. You NEED both in today?s game.

too many holes on defense:

Top 10 i like Parsons
10-15 i like Kwitty Paye
15-25 i like Zaven Collins

i guess hypothetically if we traded down to 15 and parsons and paye were gone then Pitts might just be too much value to pass up. There'd still be questions youd have to answer first...like are all 3 WRs off the board?

I am still leaning the WR's over Parsons. I just think they are a little bit bitter and don't have the character concerns he does. I really don't think they will make their first pick a guy like that. I could be off, but thats my read on it, but if it does happens I'd be okay with it.

I do really like Kwity Paye and if we trade down into the teens and the guys I mentioned before are gone, I would think long and hard about taking him.

We took Okudah at #3 last year. In the past three drafts we have taken a combined 7 offensive players, and 7 defensive players in the first four rounds. We have been taking defense we just haven't been hitting on them. Regardless the value at the top is on offense and you don't reach for lesser talent. We have the rest of the draft to focus defense. Regardless the defense probably will suck this year, but this isn't a one year thing. We can only do so much in one year.

Like someone else mentioned if we always based it off our past mistakes then we wouldn't have taken Calvin after using 3 top ten picks on WR's in three consecutive years and then drafting him 2 years after that. I understand we didn't win with Calvin, but that doesn't mean anything in this discussion. I wouldn't want to miss out on the next Kelce just because of our past.

Every time we have taken a TE though, we had a serious serious need for one in 2009, 2014 and 2019. Every five years. Pettigrew got older and hurt (several knee injuries) and was more a blocker. So Ebron was a need at the time and rated higher than Donald/OBJ by most. Ebron was cut before 5th year option, 2018 a disaster with shitty TEs then Hock next year to make up for that. Hock again ranked higher than anyone on the board.

With Hock, I don't see the big need this time.

Last edited:
Back