Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kyle Pitts

Say were going offense at #7. No defense and no trade down. Strictly offense. Would anyone take Pitts over the top 3 WRs Chase, Waddle or Smith?

Strictly offense? QB maybe. Like you said 7th or 40th putting up similar numbers.

I'd take the 3 WRs or a tackle before I took Pitts.

Pitts may very well be a great player and 3 or 4 years down the line we all could be crying for not taking him. I wonder if we'll remember this convo

Didn't Spielman say the new staff changed his outlook which used to be building from the inside out to now realizing it should be building outside in?

Would that not mean drafting a top WR or CB? At a minimum it should mean they are not looking to use the #7 pick on any OL or DL, so anyone looking for that should prepare for disappointment.

I'm not seeing anyone listing a CB in their wish list...if they draft a CB at #7 I imagine there will be a shitload of complaints. Then again, that will likely happen regardless of who is drafted!

I'd take the 3 WRs or a tackle before I took Pitts.

Pitts may very well be a great player and 3 or 4 years down the line we all could be crying for not taking him. I wonder if we'll remember this convo

Only time there are legit complaints is when there is far better talent and the Lions reach for someone who they constantly do not utilize correctly leading to the guy being average at best while other teams picking after the Lions drafted a stud who becomes All-Pro.

They need to not just pick the right player, but the player that fits their scheme and as a result becomes All-Pro.

Fuck, they cannot even get guys who earn Pro Bowl nominations because they either lack talent or the scheme is wrong.

New staff, new hope...but how many regimes have we seen this play out with??? Sure they hit on Barry and CJ...but with all the top picks throughout the years, that is it. Even Suh does not count because he left at the first opportunity because he was not a good fit.

Schemes change with coaching changes
Davis a good example. He was drafted for 4-3 defense. Then he ends up in Patricias scheme for 3 years.

Hock and Ragnow are pro bowlers though

This new regime noted the talents skill sets of the players and working with that, not one specific scheme. So that is a good change

We'll see how they rebuild and if they can coach them properly with a good scheme as that doesn't get destroyed easily by better coaches. See how well this new coaching staff can adjust on the fly too. That is a big thing

Didn't Spielman say the new staff changed his outlook which used to be building from the inside out to now realizing it should be building outside in?

Would that not mean drafting a top WR or CB? At a minimum it should mean they are not looking to use the #7 pick on any OL or DL, so anyone looking for that should prepare for disappointment.

I'm not seeing anyone listing a CB in their wish list...if they draft a CB at #7 I imagine there will be a shitload of complaints. Then again, that will likely happen regardless of who is drafted!

Spielman isn't the guy in charge.

Funny thing is we've been building outside in for years. Got us nowhere.

Funny thing is we've been building outside in for years. Got us nowhere.

Have we. Haven't used a 1st on WR since Calvin. Haven't used a 1st on a CB from Fair 1999 to Okudah last year

Tons of Oline and Dline taken. 3 under Mayhew (Suh, Fairley and Ansah), plus Reiff and Tomlinson. Decker and Ragnow for Quinn

Last edited:
Have we. Haven't used a 1st on WR since Calvin. Haven't used a 1st on a CB from Fair 1999 to Okudah last year

Tons of Oline and Dline taken. 3 under Mayhew (Suh, Fairley and Ansah), plus Reiff and Tomlinson. Decker and Ragnow for Quinn

As you would say just bad draft picks (bad luck), Quinn failed. But in my defense I'm an idiot and got confused.

IF the big 3 WRs are gone, I'm not opposed to them grabbing one of the top CBs. Yes, we went CB last year in R1...but he had a rough year. He might be more of a #2 CB so hedge bets and get a true #1 CB this year.

Again...IF the top 3 WRs are gone. I think the drop off from there results in grabbing a WR in R2 or later.

As you would say just bad draft picks (bad luck), Quinn failed. But in my defense I'm an idiot and got confused.

Decker and Ragnow didn't fail. Some of the ex Pats they added didnt fail. Stafford didn't fail. But alot of the other picks or free agents did. Even more on Oline too. Wagner his 3rd year, good first 2, TJ Lang injury, other guard/RT misses. Vaitai. Jackson TBD

Dline they tried hard too. Snacks was a nice stop gap but not a pass rusher, Daniels injury fail, Flowers good big bucks but injury 2020, Hand solid but injuries, Ziggy was franchised and got hurt one year, Kennard didn't do enough as a FA, Romeo Okwara solid then good, Julian Okwara injury, Bryant injury. Williams failed, Shelton run stuffer only. They tried and failed and now have to rebuild right side of Oline and most of Dline.

If the Lions draft Pitts in the 1st, we should start looking for a new GM, coach and everything else prior to the 2nd round.

Plan A - Trade Down

Plan B - I want to see Parsons or Jamarr Chase as a Lions at pick 7.

Plan C - If both of them are gone I wouldnt hate going CB or OT. Sewell, Slater, or Surtain. Im not high on Farley. Waddle id throw into this category as well.

Plan A - Trade Down

Plan B - I want to see Parsons or Jamarr Chase as a Lions at pick 7.

Plan C - If both of them are gone I wouldnt hate going CB or OT. Sewell, Slater, or Surtain. Im not high on Farley. Waddle id throw into this category as well.

I think Slater doesn't have that all pro upside I would want in a lineman drafted in the top 10. I think he will be very solid, but not an elite player. I also don't want a CB. I think Okudah and Amani can be a really good pair and drafting a CB at #7 isn't the best allocation of resources.

On a side note, Holmes has had a very good history of drafting successful DB's in the mid to late rounds. Combine that with both Aaron Glenn and Aubrey Pleasant having a lot of success as Secondary coach and I would much rather get someone in the middle rounds.

I really think we need to add a mismatch to this offense and barring Sewell or Chase falling, I want Waddle. I just think he adds something that I don't think I've ever seen in a Lions uniform at WR.

Last edited:
You guys are going to roast me for even suggesting this. Also not saying we do this, but it would make for some exciting offensive games

We Re-sign Golladay long term
We sign Jamaal Williams in free agency
We draft Pitts after trading down to #12
Kadarious Toney falls to us in the 2nd round

We can trot out

QB Goff
RB Swift, Williams, Kerryon
WR Golladay, Williams, Toney, Cephus,
TE Hockenson, Pitts, Hunter Bryant

That to go along with a solid O-Line and we could be cooking. Listen I know our defense would not be getting help and I get this might not be the best strategy, but damn does it get me excited. If Goff couldn't succeed with that then we definitely know he wouldn't be the answer. Regardless, we would have so many different skillsets in that offense and could pick apart teams in a variety of different ways.

Last edited:
You guys are going to roast me for even suggesting this. Also not saying we do this, but it would make for some exciting offensive games

We can trot out

QB Goff

That to go along with a solid O-Line and we could be cooking. Listen I know our defense would not be getting help and I get this might not be the best strategy, but damn does it get me excited. If Goff couldn't succeed with that then we definitely know he wouldn't be the answer. Regardless, we would have so many different skillsets in that offense and could pick apart teams in a variety of different ways.

Better score more than 32 points a game because that's what we'll be giving up.

We can trot out

QB Goff

Are you Matt Millen???

Back