Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Kyle Pitts

Yes we need defense too, but that is old school thinking. The reason it didn?t work with Matt was because we had too much hit and miss success with the talent we put around him. Some were good some were awful. We need to do a better job of getting at least TWO big time playmakers. It?s pretty much the standard of today?s nfl. The super bowl wasn?t just about defenses. These teams were loaded in the passing games. The league is changing. Playmakers are just as important as a defense. You NEED both in today?s game.

There's always something. We were 20th in yards last season but 10th in passing, without Golladay for most of the year. You can win with that. Sure you need both but TE are not a luxury. No one takes TE in the top 10 and we've already done it twice.. And you want to do it 3rd time?

And I rather take a G at 7 over a TE. And I don't want a guard.

Last edited:
I think the Lions would cut Jessie James and sign Gerald Everett over taking Pitts.

And I rather take a G at 7 over a TE. And I don't want a guard.

Tackle/Guard Rashawn Slater would be a little early. That would make more sense with Vaitais struggles and Crosby in a contract year.

Pitts is a great prospect. Just think there are better ones out there especially at WR, maybe CB and LB too. Which are bigger needs. BPA meets need here.

If Lions do take Pitts, he better work out and he could be a very good player. Nobody should write him off just because they didn't want him or think TE was a good position value. But that puts even more pressure on day 2 and day 3. But its a two year rebuild at least.

Other TE options
Hunter Henry way too much and LAC won't let him go (Lynn ties though). 11 per is way too much though
Everett and Jonnu Smith will cost money. 7 per, maybe too costly here in rebuild
Forced Pay cut for Jessie James to keep him (2 million or more)

Jared Cook (Campbell ties for sure), Kyle Rudolph, Tyler Croft, Blake Bell, Trey Burton, James O Shaunnessy

Expanded role for Hunter Bryant (receiving skills no blocking and had a injured rookie year). They added Alize Mack on a reserve deal too. Those 2 super cheap backup tight ends with potential still but no blocking.

Last edited:
If they want another TE Sign one through free agency and let him supplement Hockenson. Don't draft one to make him obsolete. Hock had 101 targets last season. Drafting Pitts makes would severely hinder that.

If they want another TE Sign one through free agency and let him supplement Hockenson. Don't draft one to make him obsolete. Hock had 101 targets last season. Drafting Pitts makes would severely hinder that.

Given the lack of WRs, both could get a ton of targets. Especially if Pitts moves to slot some

Given the lack of WRs, both could get a ton of targets. Especially if Pitts moves to slot some

Maybe if they don't after a WR at some point. Remember if we franchise Golladay and keep him just not enough balls. I don't think.

And to be clear I've always been a proponent of a two TE system. But not where the Lions are right now.

Last edited:
I definitely agree that Pitts is not the value at #7. I just think we could trade down in the 12-15 range. If that happens and the top three WR are gone. Sewell is gone. Parsons is gone. Slater is gone. Fairley is gone. top 5 QB's are gone. I would consider Pitts if he was sitting there over anybody else I didn't mention. He is a better prospect then any defender not named Parsons, and honestly is probably a better prospect then him too.

Maybe if they don't after a WR at some point. Remember if we franchise Golladay and keep him just not enough balls. I don't think.

And to be clear I've always been a proponent of a two TE system. But not where the Lions are right now.

2019 116 targets for Golladay, 91 for Marvin, 97! for Amendola, 59 for Hock

2020 Marvin 115, Hock 101, Amendola 69, Swift 57, Cephus/KG 67 combined

Golladay, Hock and Pitts could be the top 3 and get plenty of targets if number 2 WR and slot WR not good. Plus Pitts in slot.

But again, we all would rather have a WR prospect, Smith, Waddle or Chase

Lastly we all hear BPA. For argument sake lets say Pitts is the 7th best and first 6 guys are all taken. But the 8th is S, 9th is DE, 10th in LB. I'll be taking the S, DE or LB.

As far as enough balls, Goffs seems to have lost his long ball if he ever had one. In our team I think Pitts would be a better fit than Golladay. Esp. with no separation from Golladay. Defense is so bad though.

I definitely agree that Pitts is not the value at #7. I just think we could trade down in the 12-15 range. If that happens and the top three WR are gone. Sewell is gone. Parsons is gone. Slater is gone. Fairley is gone. top 5 QB's are gone. I would consider Pitts if he was sitting there over anybody else I didn't mention. He is a better prospect then any defender not named Parsons, and honestly is probably a better prospect then him too.

We haven't traded down forever. When I look at the best current WR/TE even best all time most of them are late 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounders. It used to be QB, someone to protect the QB, LT and someone to get to the QB, DE. Maybe it still should be. We have, imo, a better chance to get a Suh or Joe Thomas, even though we don't need a LT, than a Calvin.

Lastly we all hear BPA. For argument sake lets say Pitts is the 7th best and first 6 guys are all taken. But the 8th is S, 9th is DE, 10th in LB. I'll be taking the S, DE or LB.

As far as enough balls, Goffs seems to have lost his long ball if he ever had one. In our team I think Pitts would be a better fit than Golladay. Esp. with no separation from Golladay. Defense is so bad though.

My thing is when evaluating draft prospects at the top there is always that major dropoff. Those guys that are considered "blue chip" guys. I think Pitts falls into that category. Thats my main point. There can be a major dropoff between the 7th and 8th guy as far as talent. IMO Pitts is one of those blue chip prospects, and guys likes Slater, Paye, Rousseau, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Christian Darrisaw, and Patrick Surtain II represent a major talent dropoff from Pitts. I would love some of those guys in the late teens and early twenties. I would not if we were sitting there at 12. With all these QB's expected to go in the top 15, we need to get a blue chip prospect. The only defender that I think fits the bill is Parsons.

We haven't traded down forever. When I look at the best current WR/TE even best all time most of them are late 1st, 2nd, 3rd rounders. It used to be QB, someone to protect the QB, LT and someone to get to the QB, DE. Maybe it still should be. We have, imo, a better chance to get a Suh or Joe Thomas, even though we don't need a LT, than a Calvin.

Also I do get we always talk about trading down. We are in a better position to do that this year then most, but you are right odds are better then not we stay put.

My thing is when evaluating draft prospects at the top there is always that major dropoff. Those guys that are considered "blue chip" guys. I think Pitts falls into that category. Thats my main point. There can be a major dropoff between the 7th and 8th guy as far as talent. IMO Pitts is one of those blue chip prospects, and guys likes Slater, Paye, Rousseau, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Christian Darrisaw, and Patrick Surtain II represent a major talent dropoff from Pitts. I would love some of those guys in the late teens and early twenties. I would not if we were sitting there at 12. With all these QB's expected to go in the top 15, we need to get a blue chip prospect. The only defender that I think fits the bill is Parsons.

I have a problem with that. There may be a drop off in "projected talent" but rarely is there a drop off in production. Say we let Golladay walk and we have an opening for a new #1. If Devonta Smith at #7 is our new #1 or Terrance Marshall at 40 something is our new #1....i think they put up similar numbers given the same targets/snaps etc. The outliers actually favor the later pick like a Jefferson imo.

My take on Pitts.

1) Hes not Calvin Johnson. Hes 6'6'' but he doesnt run like Calvin did. He doesnt create seperation like Calvin did by just blowing by guys.

2) Hes not a TE. They put him there cause of his size. But in reality hes just a big receiver. Hes more dynamic than Ebron was and runs better/more routes. If i had to make a comparison id say an Engram? Production wise he can be a Darren Waller. Not sure im picking either of those guys in the top 7.

Last edited:
Say were going offense at #7. No defense and no trade down. Strictly offense. Would anyone take Pitts over the top 3 WRs Chase, Waddle or Smith?

Back