Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Fire Quinn and Patrica

The problem is attendance and merchandise is such a small portion of total revenue that the fans "boycotting" the Lions wouldn't make a difference. The team will still make a shit ton of money.

I think the NFL revenue sharing should reflect the teams record. Winning teams should get a larger percentage of the TV revenue. From what I read, each team gets $255M a year from TV revenue. A team that finishes with the worst record in the league get the benefit to pick #1 overall, which is huge, but there should be a penalty as well.

Let's say $10M per win from 8-8. 8-8 gets you $255M. 16-0 gets you $335M. 0-16 gets you $175M. I'll bet that would also end tanking.

The problem is attendance and merchandise is such a small portion of total revenue that the fans "boycotting" the Lions wouldn't make a difference. The team will still make a shit ton of money.

I think the NFL revenue sharing should reflect the teams record. Winning teams should get a larger percentage of the TV revenue. From what I read, each team gets $255M a year from TV revenue. A team that finishes with the worst record in the league get the benefit to pick #1 overall, which is huge, but there should be a penalty as well.

Let's say $10M per win from 8-8. 8-8 gets you $255M. 16-0 gets you $335M. 0-16 gets you $175M. I'll bet that would also end tanking.

1. Ideally, then, Lions' fans should also not watch on television. Not likely, though. And too many "NFL" fans watch any/every team anyway.
2. I like the revenue incentive. Every team starts out with the 255M and the amount is adjusted with each loss and win. And the winning team extracts the revenue designated to the team it's playing that week.

Thats what i said...stafford sucks.

That is the opposite of what I said. He gets no support

Trade him so he gets the support he deserves and he will win alot of games

Lions can build with the extra 1sts and start over

That is the opposite of what I said. He gets no support

Trade him so he gets the support he deserves and he will win alot of games

Lions can build with the extra 1sts and start over

We are making a large assumption in relying on the future GM and coach to "start over." And Stafford is worth "extra 1st?" To which NFL team?

We are making a large assumption in relying on the future GM and coach to "start over." And Stafford is worth "extra 1st?" To which NFL team?

Teams that probably think they are close (have a pretty complete team without a QB) might give a 1st this year and a future first (2023) if the Lions eat next year's roster bonus of $10M. I think that would make his cap figure for the acquiring team $10M for 2021 and $23M for 2022

Some that come to mind

Colts if Rivers leaves
49ers if they cut Jimmy G
Browns if they don't believe in Baker (which they shouldn't)
Saints if Brees retires

Other teams that don't have an answer that might not draft one of the top guys

Redskins
Dallas (if Dak signs somewhere else)
Bears (doubt the trade him within the division)
New England if they give up on Cam

That's about all I can think of

I don't see why someone would give 2 firsts when they can just get their own QB, cheaper and younger. Young QB and an OL/WR or Stafford. Easy decision.

I don't see why someone would give 2 firsts when they can just get their own QB, cheaper and younger. Young QB and an OL/WR or Stafford. Easy decision.

If you are the 49ers or Colts, I think you do. I think the 49ers have a complete team with the exception of a QB. Jimmy G. could win them a SB but he can't stay healthy. His cap hit is $26M next year and $27M in 2022. They can cut him for $2.8M. A known with Stafford over the next 2 years and they are probably the favorites in the NFC.

Pretty much the same with Indy. They are paying Rivers $25M this year. Matt would be Cheaper.

Those are pretty much the only two teams that make sense to me...all other teams would probably be better off drafting a QB. Those two make sense because they are set up right now. All they need is a competent QB.

Now, both could draft a QB and sign a cheap vet. However, they could miss their window if neither works out.

If you are the 49ers or Colts, I think you do. I think the 49ers have a complete team with the exception of a QB. Jimmy G. could win them a SB but he can't stay healthy. His cap hit is $26M next year and $27M in 2022. They can cut him for $2.8M. A known with Stafford over the next 2 years and they are probably the favorites in the NFC.

Pretty much the same with Indy. They are paying Rivers $25M this year. Matt would be Cheaper.

Those are pretty much the only two teams that make sense to me...all other teams would probably be better off drafting a QB. Those two make sense because they are set up right now. All they need is a competent QB.

Now, both could draft a QB and sign a cheap vet. However, they could miss their window if neither works out.

Also San Fran has an assistant GM named Martin Mayhew. We all know him. I could see him being a big Stafford proponent.

Also San Fran has an assistant GM named Martin Mayhew. We all know him. I could see him being a big Stafford proponent.

I wonder what Mayhew actually does when your job is being assist to John Lynch. I can imagine it going like this:

Lynch: "Look Martin...you already ruined a team. Just go sit in that corner over there and collect your paycheck while i create greatness. kthxbai"

I wonder what Mayhew actually does when your job is being assist to John Lynch. I can imagine it going like this:

Lynch: "Look Martin...you already ruined a team. Just go sit in that corner over there and collect your paycheck while i create greatness. kthxbai"

lol

Mayhew got promoted there. And doing what he did at Detroit. Draft Dline/Oline. Thomas, Bosa and Kinlaw under his watch now. McGlinchey at RT in 2018. Remind you of Suh 2010, Fairley 2011, Reiff 2012, Ziggy 2013. That is big Mayhew influence with Lynch

Stafford, Suh, Fairley, Reiff, Ziggy. Then he got fancy with Ebron. Then right back to Oline with Laken Tomlinson. Hey look Laken is in San Fran too and doing well (road grader run blocker for the 49ers run game, just needed an actual run blocking Shanahan scheme). You know who else is in San Fran. Ziggy Ansah on IR of course. And our old pal Kerry Hyder. I think Lynch listens to Mayhew alot.

But give Lynch credit. I like it and then when they trade 1sts for Stafford to get a good QB, proves yet again he is a good QB. And good GMs want Stafford too. Same for Indy

Last edited:
Mayhew got promoted there. And doing what he did at Detroit. Draft Dline/Oline. Thomas, Bosa and Kinlaw under his watch now. McGlinchey at RT in 2018. Remind you of Suh 2010, Fairley 2011, Reiff 2012, Ziggy 2013. That is big Mayhew influence with Lynch

Stafford, Suh, Fairley, Reiff, Ziggy. Then he got fancy with Ebron. Then right back to Oline with Laken Tomlinson. Hey look Laken is in San Fran too and doing well (road grader run blocker for the 49ers run game, just needed an actual run blocking Shanahan scheme). You know who else is in San Fran. Ziggy Ansah on IR of course. And our old pal Kerry Hyder. I think Lynch listens to Mayhew alot.

But give Lynch credit. I like it and then when they trade 1sts for Stafford to get a good QB, proves yet again he is a good QB. And good GMs want Stafford too. Same for Indy

Ive watched 3 or 4 San Fran games and Hyder is everywhere. Makes me wonder what kind of shitty GM would just let him go when your defense sucks this bad.....apparently a fired one.

His first year was with Quinn looking at it. 2016 and 8 sacks. Then 2017 he tore his achilles in preseason. 2018 played poorly probaly recovering and a scheme chabge. 2019 sucked with dallas. Having a very nice season in san fran with 7.5 sacks

Ive watched 3 or 4 San Fran games and Hyder is everywhere. Makes me wonder what kind of shitty GM would just let him go when your defense sucks this bad.....apparently a fired one.

Neither are superstars.....but sure would be nice to have Hyder and Fulgham as depth on this team.

Fuckin Quinn.

Also....I think not hiring Saleh would be a massive mistake. As for GM.....anyone but Mayhew. This team doesn’t need old faces. We need a clean slate top to bottom and Mayhew doesn’t provide that.

Last edited:
A group of Michigan state legislators have sent a letter to Detroit Lions owner Sheila Ford Hamp urging her to hire San Francisco 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh as the team's next head coach.

Saleh, a native of Dearborn, Michigan, grew up in the state and played college football in the state, and his family has long football ties to Michigan State and the state's football history.

We understand the difficulty of these upcoming decisions," the letter reads. "As passionate and loyal Lions fans, we are asking you to hire Robert Saleh as the head coach of our team. He is the best candidate for the job and measures as such across every metric. A head coach like Robert can bring tremendous energy and heart to the franchise and would help us reach peaks that have seemed unobtainable for so long. We have an exceptional opportunity here and we trust you to make the best decision.

"To turn the corner and become a winning franchise, these next hiring decisions are critical. We hope that you will consider Robert Saleh as the head coach, not only for us, but for everyone across the loyal fanbase of our beloved Detroit Lions.

The letter, authored by Rep. Abdullah Hammoud and his staff, also thanked Hamp for making the decision to fire general manager Bob Quinn and coach Matt Patricia on Saturday after two-plus seasons, saying those moves were necessary to move forward.

Hamp said Saturday that the team is going to cast a wide net in looking at potential candidates for the head coach and general manager positions, including possibilities at the college and professional levels, putting no barriers on her search.

"We're going to be looking at everything," Hamp said.

A message left for the Lions seeking comment was not immediately returned to ESPN.

Saleh said he's not paying attention to what's going in his home state.

"This league is so week-to-week, and the most important week right now is Monday Night Football against Buffalo," Saleh said Friday afternoon. "We've got a team that's in the middle of the playoff hunt. It's really a non-issue for me. I don't talk about it. I don't really even see it. I don't have social media. I don't look into the news. So, it's probably more for family and friends to enjoy and get a kick out of than it is for me. We're completely locked into Buffalo."

The Lions have won one playoff game in the Super Bowl era -- in the 1991 season -- and haven't won a division title since 1993. They are replacing Patricia, who went 13-29-1 in two-plus seasons leading the team.

Hammoud, who like Saleh is from Dearborn, said he knows Saleh's family but has never met Saleh. Hammoud said he got support from both Democrat and Republican legislators and from all parts of the state from the Upper Peninsula to Detroit.

"A lot of us in the Legislature love the Lions and we decided why not throw out a helping hand," Hammoud told ESPN. "And kind of guide them kind of toward the coach that we'd like to see come home, who is a Michigan man."

Hammoud said more than 40 legislators were thinking about signing the letter. Hammoud said many of the legislators are Lions fans and watch the team consistently.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ions-owner-sheila-ford-hamp-hire-robert-saleh

I saw an article that said they might pick the coach before the GM. Glad to see they are already messing it up.

Back