Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Lions Fire Quinn and Patrica

I?d assume it goes without saying that a championship is the goal. But your stat about coaches is THE single biggest reason for the prolonged terribleness this fan base has endured. How is that even possible?

I wonder what our former OC, DC and GM?s have done since they left? I bet not much. The staggering lack of quality hires shows how bad the Fords are at running this franchise.

I have never heard from ownership, to my knowledge, that championships are the sole objective of the franchise they oversee. It needs to be said. Otherwise, the objective is simply entertainment.

Mayhew helped build 49ers with Lynch
Schwartz won a super bowl as dc
Caldwell got sick but has been consultant
Gunther died
Linehan went to Dallas and got replaced by Kellen Moore
Teryl Austin back to position coach for pit after 2018 dc for bengals
Lombardi went back to Saints to qb coach
Cooter a rb coach with jets

So, in essence, they were all demoted. Spin that.

Some had big success and could get a gm or head coach job. Schwartz has a shot eventually

When it happens, I'll believe it. As it is, we are experiencing yet another "house-cleaning" and "rebuild" under the same, inept, feckless, and hapless owners. More false hope, smoke, and mirrors.

I challenge anyone to prove that the Ford family has been successful running the Detroit Lions in regard to on-field achievements.

When it happens, I'll believe it. As it is, we are experiencing yet another "house-cleaning" and "rebuild" under the same, inept, feckless, and hapless owners. More false hope, smoke, and mirrors.

I challenge anyone to prove that the Ford family has been successful running the Detroit Lions in regard to on-field achievements.

We'll see who they pick and how it works out. Most owners aren't really football savvy. Fords spend money and the ladies at least make changes unlike WCF. They need help from the league for picking the GM. GM will help pick the coach

Probably but maybe we get that once in a lifetime "Cubs" lightening in a bottle.

It simple. We've over paid a qb that hasnt made a difference because he cant overcome:
#2 defense in league, but not enough weapons
no run game, but all the weapons in the world
Run game, but no defense

So you get rid of him and spend that money elsewhere to improve the team. Its the only option we havent tried in the last 12 years.

Pay a rookie qb for 4 years to be average just like Stafford is and rebuild your defense. You have a solid base for your run game with a good, young oline and Swift. The defense needs a ton of work. All of stafford money should be spent on getting a pass rush. What moron GM completely ignores the pass rush the last 3 years?

It simple. We've over paid a qb that hasnt made a difference because he cant overcome:
Run game, but no defense

So you get rid of him and spend that money elsewhere to improve the team. Its the only option we havent tried in the last 12 years.

Pay a rookie qb for 4 years to be average just like Stafford is and rebuild your defense. You have a solid base for your run game with a good, young oline and Swift. The defense needs a ton of work. All of stafford money should be spent on getting a pass rush. What moron GM completely ignores the pass rush the last 3 years?

Might not be a bad option to find a Mediocre QB like Winston, Cam, Marriota, Darnold or a Fitzmagic and surrounded them w a defense and run game. If we can sign a QB in that $12-$25mil range, that could free up a lot of cap space to use elsewhere. Also allows us to use our draft picks elsewhere.

Run game, but no defense

Quinn whiffed and Patricia doesn't like speed pass rushers. It cost them their jobs. Staffords cap number was not the problem. The Lions had a ton of cap space especially the last few years but whiffed in draft and who they picked for FAs for some of them. Especially 2020 offseason (Trufant plus hamstring, Shelton, Williams plus shoulder injury, extend Jones). Throw in Flowers injury, CB injuries galore and now a Hand injury.

They wanted slow powerful LBs over speed. Power not working enough to shed blocks or bull rush. Man press corners that lack speed, suprrised Okudah looks so slow. And pass rushers that can hold a gap better than actually rush the passer. Okwara produced and Flowers is good but not consistent rush enough despite good pass rushing grades. Missing on every blitz and no DT pressure.

QBs need at least 2 of those things. Stafford never had 2 of those things. You forgot protection and short fields too from turnovers.

And last time I checked, defense number 3 in league and Lions had 11 wins. Then the refs screwed them in Dallas and that defense gave up 24 with the Cowboys flat out allowed to hold in the second half plus the picked up DPI. Lawrence got pressure on the last drive.

Stafford got good weapons. Good Weapons that don't separate
He had defense like 2 years. Made playoffs both those years
Never had a running game. Ever other than handful of games
Turnovers. Like 2 years
Protection hit or miss over the years

Last edited:
Quinn whiffed and Patricia doesn't like speed pass rushers. It cost them their jobs. Staffords cap number was not the problem. The Lions had a ton of cap space especially the last few years but whiffed in draft and who they picked for FAs for some of them. Especially 2020 offseason (Trufant plus hamstring, Shelton, Williams plus shoulder injury, extend Jones). Throw in Flowers injury, CB injuries galore and now a Hand injury.

They wanted slow powerful LBs over speed. Power not working enough to shed blocks or bull rush. Man press corners that lack speed, suprrised Okudah looks so slow. And pass rushers that can hold a gap better than actually rush the passer. Okwara produced and Flowers is good but not consistent rush enough despite good pass rushing grades. Missing on every blitz and no DT pressure.

QBs need at least 2 of those things. Stafford never had 2 of those things. You forgot protection and short fields too from turnovers.

And last time I checked, defense number 3 in league and Lions had 11 wins. Then the refs screwed them in Dallas and that defense gave up 24 with the Cowboys flat out allowed to hold in the second half plus the picked up DPI. Lawrence got pressure on the last drive.

Stafford got good weapons. Good Weapons that don't separate
He had defense like 2 years. Made playoffs both those years
Never had a running game. Ever other than handful of games
Turnovers. Like 2 years
Protection hit or miss over the years

Thats what i said...stafford sucks.

Probably but maybe we get that once in a lifetime "Cubs" lightening in a bottle.

At least the Cubs made the WS in 1910, 1918, 1928, 1932, 1935, 1938, and 1945 before winning in 2016.

We had a GM and coach who didn't value speed on the defensive side of the football? For three years? What that the Patriots' approach when Patricia was their defensive mastermind?

What is a "slow, powerful LB"? Aren't there "fast, powerful LBs" in the NFL?

Still 71 years without a WS appearance. So the Lions have 8 years left.

I have every confidence the Lions will still be without a championship and will have fired the next coach they hire, with the subsequent one on the "hot seat."

And the Fords will still own the team.

Back