Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Market is Bottoming

Can someone explain exactly how is it Trump's fault? .

Not sure how many things you want me to list here....
Trump brought hundreds of infected people from other countries to california and several other states.
Trump gave a speech that made him sound completely ignorant
Trump couldnt give a speech until his mental midget Jared Kushner of all people gave him "the facts."

Trump brought hundreds of infected people from other countries to california and several other states.
Trump couldnt give a speech until his mental midget Jared Kushner of all people gave him "the facts."

Yep, all Trump's fault. Uh huh.

Got it. So it is Trump’s fault the CDC wasn't prepared because he gave a bad speech. Thanks for shedding the light, that was really helpful.

Got it. So it is Trump?s fault the CDC wasn't prepared because he gave a bad speech. Thanks for shedding the light, that was really helpful.

In 2018 he fired the CDC's pandemic response team to cut costs so he could give billionaires a big tax cut (link). If you want to dismiss "Crazy Cat Lady" because Gay Frog told you so, here's a different link that uses milder language:
In 2005, during the H1N5 bird flu scare, the US Agency for International Development ran a program called Predict to identify and research infectious diseases in animal populations in the developing world. Most new viruses that impact humans ? apparently including the one causing the Covid-19 disease ? emerge through this route, so investing in early research is the kind of thing that, at modest ongoing cost, served to reduce the likelihood of rare but catastrophic events.

The program was initiated under George W. Bush and continued through Barack Obama?s eight years in office; then, last fall the Trump administration shut it down.

That?s part of a broader pattern of actual and potential Trump efforts to shut down America?s ability to respond to pandemic disease.

The article goes on to list out all the specific times or things Your Hero Trump did or said or ignored prior to this. His responses to this so far leave much to be desired.

I saw they amended his travel ban to include the UK and Ireland after all. Whoops.

In 2018 he fired the CDC's pandemic response team to cut costs so he could give billionaires a big tax cut (link). If you want to dismiss "Crazy Cat Lady" because Gay Frog told you so, here's a different link that uses milder language:
In 2005, during the H1N5 bird flu scare, the US Agency for International Development ran a program called Predict to identify and research infectious diseases in animal populations in the developing world. Most new viruses that impact humans — apparently including the one causing the Covid-19 disease — emerge through this route, so investing in early research is the kind of thing that, at modest ongoing cost, served to reduce the likelihood of rare but catastrophic events.

The program was initiated under George W. Bush and continued through Barack Obama’s eight years in office; then, last fall the Trump administration shut it down.

That’s part of a broader pattern of actual and potential Trump efforts to shut down America’s ability to respond to pandemic disease.

The article goes on to list out all the specific times or things Your Hero Trump did or said or ignored prior to this. His responses to this so far leave much to be desired.

I saw they amended his travel ban to include the UK and Ireland after all. Whoops.

I see your "different link" comes from Vox - that's a far more reasonable source than Snopes, afterall it was started by Ezra Klein, a "journalist" who ran a secret kabal of other "journalists" who conspired to control news narratives for major stories to favor Dems and make Republicans look bad (if you haven't heard of it, just google "Ezra Klein JournoList"). But of course you still think it's a reliable news source. Do you know anything about the author, rabid anti-Trumper Matt Iglesias?

Now that that's out of the way, let's take a look at the facts. Did you read the article? Did you verify any of it? Did you look at the CDC budget year over year? No you didn't because if you did, you'd know that Trump proposed cuts to the CDC budget but those were never enacted and that he has signed spending bills every year that have allocated more money to the CDC than was spent annually under Obama. Snopes is full of shit too, there's not evidence that suggests the Trump administration fired the Predict (the pandemic response team) leader or its members. Just an anti-Trump journalist's vague accusations that Trump is behind it.

If you had read the Iglesias piece you posted you would have also noted he compares Obama's actions in appointing and Ebola czar to Trump not putting anyone in charge of coordinating the response to COVID 19 - I guess Matthew missed that national press conference where Trump appointed Pence to coordinate the multi-departmental response to the virus - although Trump didn't give him the title "Corona Czar" so maybe that's the distinction Matt is making by saying he didn't do what Obama did, even though clearly, he did.

Also, are you aware it's a journalist in the Iglesias piece who claims the Trump administration "fired the entire pandemic response team." No names are named and nothing specific is said about Trump's administration firing anyone. The only claim backed up by anything is that funding was cut for disease prevention and detection in 3rd world countries. Not until much later in the piece do they admit the countries where the funding was cut were all in Africa - COVID 19 originated in China, dumbass.

Did you know your piece doesn't talk about what the CDC changed to deal with global pandemics after disbanding Predict. Did anything change or did they just stop worrying about it altogether when that team was disbanded? Or are you just taking the bait hook, line and sinker and drawing another unsupported conclusion?

Did you happen to look up data in the United States to see how effective Predict, the pandemic super hero team was? For example, how effective were they with their H1N1 response, or any other biological threats to America? I did. In 2009, despite having this cracker jack team of virus warriors, there were 115,318 cases of H1N1 reported in the United States with 3,433 known deaths. All told the CDC estimates 59mm Americans got the virus with 265k hospitalizations and 12,000 deaths.

Also, according to this Wikipedia article, the first case of H1N1 in the US was reported in March, but as of April 29, only the CDC could confirm swine flu cases in the U.S. On April 30, test kits were sent to California and New York. Finally on May 6th, test kits were sent out to the other states. Doesn't seem like we were all that prepared even with the Predict team folks in place. Doesn't sound like we were any more ready for H1N1 with predict and according to the CDC, nothing much changed in the balance of Obama's tenure but I bet you were really hard on Obama and the CDC over that, given how upset you are about this now. So maybe, just maybe those changes were brought about for some reason other than budget cuts that didn't happen. But of course, you've got people telling you what you want to hear and it's in a published article, so why bother questioning or confirming any of it - it's Trump's fault.

You suck at this, dumbass.

Last edited:

You suck at this, dumbass.

Yeah, I'm not great at using logical fallacies, playing fast and loose with the facts, and resorting to name calling to "argue."

I'll leave that to "professionals" like you.

Yeah, I'm not great at using logical fallacies, playing fast and loose with the facts, and resorting to name calling to "argue."

I'll leave that to "professionals" like you.

maybe you should try posting some facts or addressing facts that disprove the editorial pieces you post or maybe back up some of your bullshit accusations used to dismiss fact based arguments off hand. This is what you do with every counter argument you can't refute. It's weak and you suck at this, Dumbass.

Last edited:
Market really didn't like Trumps July/Aug comments. second largest market drop in history. 6,000 dow before you people stop freaking out

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back