Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan Suspends Juwan Remainder of Regular Season

So 1 game for the slap amd 4 games for the horrible take of getting mad a guy called a timeout because your starters were full court pressing his walk ons in a game his team beat the brakes off you? What a soft pussy. At least he didn't threaten to kill anyone this time

Silver lining for you is that Martelli is probably a better coach

Howard should have been fired instead he was suspended for 5 pretty meaningless games. Looking forward to the next coach doing something outside the lines and the uofm fans pretending their players and coaches are all class and complaining about how they are held to a higher standard - particularly if that coach is one who regularly beats the tar out of uofm.

Edit: also looking forward to seeing some creative signs from opposing fans during the NIT.

Last edited:
I know for dang sure we'd all feel differently if what Howard did happened to us.

Slap, punch I don't see the distinction.

In the game thread, #74, Bacon is quoted as saying ?it might seem like a distinction without a difference??

The blow was definitely an overhand right cross, regardless of what part of the hand struck the head that it was aimed at, and there was definitely enough force to move the head that it struck.

Slap, punch I don't see the distinction.

One is closed fist (punch) and can inflict much more damage. The other (slap) is open palm and inflicts less damage. Probably the reason boxers punch each other instead of leaving their hands open and slap fighting in the ring. :cheers:

I honestly can't believe people are acting like a punch and slap are the same thing. We all know that they are not. Here is a kickboxer explaining the difference because somehow it needs to be explained.

Christopher Hinton - Founder at Kickboxing Underground (2012-present)

It is more effective to punch someone if you want to knock them out.

Why?

Because a punch is a more solid surface, and when it connects with its target (eg. the chin, the temple, behind the ear, neck, etc.) there is less give and more energy is transferred into the target and subsequently to the brain.

A slap has a larger surface area, therefore it?s impact is diffused over a larger surface. It may hurt just as much, but has a lower likelihood of causing a knockout.

A knockout occurs when the brain is beaten against the inside of the skull, causing an immediate shutdown of function. A punch, as you can imagine, will cause much more of a ricocheting of the brain against the skull.

Just because we?re talking about a punch vs. a slap, do not confuse the slap with any other open handed strike. There are ways of striking with the palm that also generates a tremendous amount of energy and impact, and can even be safer on the hand.

A ?slap? as we are considering it here, strikes the head in a manner with no real support behind it, only the strength of the wrist connecting the hand to the arm. This is a whipping/stinging effect without the solid support of arm bones behind it.

i thought it was more of a face palm than a punch. In the end it probably doesnt make a difference since coaches are held to a higher standard than the 20 years olds they are coaching...which makes sense. If it was a clear bitch slap it still would of been a suspension for the rest of the regular season in my opinion.

One is closed fist (punch) and can inflict much more damage. The other (slap) is open palm and inflicts less damage. Probably the reason boxers punch each other instead of leaving their hands open and slap fighting in the ring. :cheers:

It is impossible for boxers in the ring to leave their hands open (unless it?s bare knuckles boxing).

If you do a search for ?can an open handed strike be as damaging as a punch,? you?ll see many martial artists believe they are.

Back in the days when I studied Tai Kwon Do (definitely more Cobra Ki than Miyagi Do) palm strikes - really the heel of the palm - were definitely in the arsenal.

i thought it was more of a face palm than a punch. In the end it probably doesnt make a difference since coaches are held to a higher standard than the 20 years olds they are coaching...which makes sense. If it was a clear bitch slap it still would of been a suspension for the rest of the regular season in my opinion.

That's right. The act itself is bad regardless if it's a slap or punch. Slap or punch doesn't make a difference there. It's just that there is a difference between a punch and slap.

On another note, I am glad that we all learned it is fine for an assistant coach to tackle or shove an opposing team's player.

It is impossible for boxers in the ring to leave their hands open (unless it?s bare knuckles boxing).

If you do a search for ?can an open handed strike be as damaging as a punch,? you?ll see many martial artists believe they are.

Back in the days when I studied Tai Kwon Do (definitely more Cobra Ki than Miyagi Do) palm strikes - really the heel of the palm - were definitely in the arsenal.

Once again, you know very well that a palm strike like that is completely different from a slap.

I honestly can't believe people are acting like a punch and slap are the same thing. We all know that they are not. Here is a kickboxer explaining the difference because somehow it needs to be explained.

Why?

Because a punch is a more solid surface, and when it connects with its target (eg. the chin, the temple, behind the ear, neck, etc.) there is less give and more energy is transferred into the target and subsequently to the brain.

A slap has a larger surface area, therefore it?s impact is diffused over a larger surface. It may hurt just as much, but has a lower likelihood of causing a knockout.

A knockout occurs when the brain is beaten against the inside of the skull, causing an immediate shutdown of function. A punch, as you can imagine, will cause much more of a ricocheting of the brain against the skull.

Just because we?re talking about a punch vs. a slap, do not confuse the slap with any other open handed strike. There are ways of striking with the palm that also generates a tremendous amount of energy and impact, and can even be safer on the hand.

A ?slap? as we are considering it here, strikes the head in a manner with no real support behind it, only the strength of the wrist connecting the hand to the arm. This is a whipping/stinging effect without the solid support of arm bones behind it.

Slap your wife and when the cops come, see if they care if it was a slap or a punch.

Why?

What I boldened, and exactly.

The blow Howard threw was not a slap. Everything about the motion of his body had the characteristics of an overhand right in boxing (or any other combat sport with punching/hand striking).

What I boldened, and exactly.

The blow Howard threw was not a slap. Everything about the motion of his body had the characteristics of an overhand right in boxing (or any other combat sport with punching/hand striking).

Open handed strike then. It wasn't a punch. He would have had to hit with a closed fist for a punch. Done.

I never said otherwise. When I was 8 we had friends of the family over and this kid, same age, looked just like me. He did something wrong and his sister slapped me. It hurt much more than some punches I've had thrown against me. Be it a slap or a punch, understand the circumstances its the same thing. Cheers.

Last edited:
I still think he was trying to grab and yank Krabbenhoft over. If you watch the slow motion, Juwan is grabbing at him and that's why he ends up with his fist balled up. I think he was trying to yank him over because of Krabbenhoft pushing Faulds and Williams.

https://twitter.com/KjellenG/status/1495496931417673733

All just a fuck up in a heated exchange.

Last edited:
Back