Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan Suspends Juwan Remainder of Regular Season

That's right. The act itself is bad regardless if it's a slap or punch. Slap or punch doesn't make a difference there. It's just that there is a difference between a punch and slap.

On another note, I am glad that we all learned it is fine for an assistant coach to tackle or shove an opposing team's player.

I have watched the video several times. I didn't see a WI coach do anything that would warrant a suspension. I saw a few UM players throw what I think you describe as a punch...not sure if they landed any though.

Howard is 100% responsible for everything that happened that afternoon. I think the 5 games is the correct punishment. I'm a little surprised that more people aren't bringing up when he threatened to kill the Maryland coach last year (I didn't hear it or see it, just read about it)

It is impossible for boxers in the ring to leave their hands open (unless it?s bare knuckles boxing).

If you do a search for ?can an open handed strike be as damaging as a punch,? you?ll see many martial artists believe they are.

Back in the days when I studied Tai Kwon Do (definitely more Cobra Ki than Miyagi Do) palm strikes - really the heel of the palm - were definitely in the arsenal.

I have watched the video several times. I didn't see a WI coach do anything that would warrant a suspension. I saw a few UM players throw what I think you describe as a punch...not sure if they landed any though.

Howard is 100% responsible for everything that happened that afternoon. I think the 5 games is the correct punishment. I'm a little surprised that more people aren't bringing up when he threatened to kill the Maryland coach last year (I didn't hear it or see it, just read about it)

Ok thanks for clearing that up on the Wisconsin coach. I was driving around all day yesterday and had sports radio on and they mentioned the prior incident with The Maryland coach alot.
I wonder why Mark T. Lost his job ? That Maryland coach came across as a hard ass but clearly this shows a pattern from Howard. Maybe he should be fired.

Last edited:
The condition or fact of being dissimilar or distinct; difference.

It?s idiomatic.

A distinction without a difference.

A type of logical fallacy where the author or speaker attempts to describe a distinction between two things where no discernible difference exists.

Also I?m actually quoting you,

quoting John U Bacon?s description of the situation, thread Hoops vs. Wisconsin, post #74.

It?s idiomatic.

A distinction without a difference.

A type of logical fallacy where the author or speaker attempts to describe a distinction between two things where no discernible difference exists.

Also I?m actually quoting you,

quoting John U Bacon?s description of the situation, thread Hoops vs. Wisconsin, post #74.

The thing is that there is a discernible difference between a punch, a slap, and an open handed strike. Only one of those things includes a closed fist strike. That is a punch, that is a discernible difference. You are very well aware of this, but for some reason refuse to acknowledge it. Fine, whatever.

That's right. The act itself is bad regardless if it's a slap or punch. Slap or punch doesn't make a difference there. It's just that there is a difference between a punch and slap.

On another note, I am glad that we all learned it is fine for an assistant coach to tackle or shove an opposing team's player.

Where is the video of a wisc coach tackling or shoving a Michigan player

Last edited:
The thing is that there is a discernible difference between a punch, a slap, and an open handed strike. Only one of those things includes a closed fist strike. That is a punch, that is a discernible difference. You are very well aware of this, but for some reason refuse to acknowledge it. Fine, whatever.

What can I tell ya?

Again, I?m quoting you quoting John Q Bacon talking about the comparison, regarding this situation.

You used the idiom first, not me.

What can I tell ya?

Again, I?m quoting you quoting John Q Bacon talking about the comparison, regarding this situation.

You used the idiom first, not me.

Bacon did. I just posted his breakdown for those interested. His words, not mine.

Where is the video of a wisc coach tackling or shoving a Michigan player

Williams didn't put himself into the bench. Chambliss put him there. Look for this guy:

sharif_headshot_71.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P_ESV4LbNY

A couple notes from Phil Martelli:

? Juwan Howard can have contact with the team during his suspension and addressed players via text.

? AD Warde Manuel came to practice yesterday and prepped the team for what was coming. Martelli called it a ?masterclass? in leadership.

Williams didn't put himself into the bench. Chambliss put him there. Look for this guy:

sharif_headshot_71.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P_ESV4LbNY

Next to Howard, Williams was the biggest aggressor in this mess. Kept pushing up on wisc coaches and trainers and had a handful of their shirts several times before he was pushed back.

Besides, you said it was Krab that was the issue before. You have some odd takes on this mess.

Next to Howard, Williams was the biggest aggressor in this mess. Kept pushing up on wisc coaches and trainers and had a handful of their shirts several times before he was pushed back.

Besides, you said it was Krab that was the issue before. You have some odd takes on this mess.

Krabbenhoft pushed Faulds and Williams for no reason. Even the B1G official in the glasses yell at him for doing it. Williams turned aggressive after Chambliss took him into the bench and Neath sucker punched him.

Juwan escalated it further than anyone should have. That does not mean that the Wisconsin coaches were innocent bystanders in this.

Last edited:
That whole thing was a big nothing - nobody from Wisco's side did anything to warrant Howard's actions. It was mostly assistant coaches keeping the two sides apart, as they should. Howard started the whole thing, then he alone escalated it. I'm no fan of Wisconsin (can't stand them actually) but 100% of the blame for this is on Howard. And it's a starting to look like a pattern after he similarly lost his temper and control at the BTT last year.

i thought it was more of a face palm than a punch. In the end it probably doesnt make a difference since coaches are held to a higher standard than the 20 years olds they are coaching...which makes sense. If it was a clear bitch slap it still would of been a suspension for the rest of the regular season in my opinion.

That should be the new excuse for slapping someone: "I wasn't slapping you, I was facepalming you. I was embarassed for you on your own behalf."

They can't and they aren't. They could only go 2 games max. It's 5 games and he's back for the BTT.

Gard fined 10k. The Wisconsin assistant who tackled Williams gets nothing. Krabbenhoft who pushed Faulds and Williams gets nothing.

Moussa, Williams, and Neath suspended one game for throwing punches.

Krabbenhoft is white; white guys never get in as much trouble for fighting as black guys do.

Also, people usually make up excuses for the white guy's behavior in a fight that they don't allow for black guys.

Back