Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Might As Well Start Looking Forward to 2022 Now

I get what you're saying and mostly agree with it.....just not in THIS case. Now, if someone wanted to offer a 1st for him.....take it and run. But likely the Lions would get some kind of 2nd rounder and maybe a 4th or 5th. Something like that.

If they would use that 2nd in the hopes they could draft a guy who would potentially become Swift.....then the deal is pointless. Swift is one of the very few guys on this roster that has a skill set above his draft slot.

Good RB's seem to be much easier to come by now.....partially because of the wide open offenses. But leaving this offense with Williams and Jefferson would be a disservice to everyone.....fans included.

The Lions are on the edge of completely losing their fan base. The same fan base that has supported them for 60+ years with little return on their financial and emotional investments. Trading off the very few good players you have wouldn't be a good move, IMO. As unlikely as it seemed even 6 months ago.....Swift is the face of the franchise.

I agree that they should get a phenomenal return or not at all, but I hope that they're at least willing to listen even if it doesn't pan out.

I'll be honest, I didn't consider the fan aspect all that much. I guess I'm not like most fans, more of a big picture guy, makes no difference to me whether Swift plays here or not next year. It's unfortunate that their best player plays a position that isn't known for longevity, if this were any other position I'd say lock them up for life.

The Lions took Swift at the top of the 2nd round. If someone offered a 2nd rounder for him they should take it. It's not like he's some super stud RB. He's like a lot of RBs out there. Just stock up on RBs in the next few drafts. They are a dime a dozen coming out of college. Also, unless you get a generational type talent, never sign one long term.

The Lions took Swift at the top of the 2nd round. If someone offered a 2nd rounder for him they should take it. It's not like he's some super stud RB. He's like a lot of RBs out there. Just stock up on RBs in the next few drafts. They are a dime a dozen coming out of college. Also, unless you get a generational type talent, never sign one long term.

I don't agree. He isn't some super stud.....but he's got an above average skill set and is a true run/catch RB that the game is transitioning to.

I wouldn't just take a 2nd rounder for him in hopes of drafting someone in 2022 or 2023 who's ceiling is Swift....that wouldn't make sense to me.

I don't agree. He isn't some super stud.....but he's got an above average skill set and is a true run/catch RB that the game is transitioning to.

I wouldn't just take a 2nd rounder for him in hopes of drafting someone in 2022 or 2023 who's ceiling is Swift....that wouldn't make sense to me.

like I said...RBs are a dime a dozen and you don't have to take them in the 2nd round.

Swift is signed through 2023. I don't know if we could get a 2nd rounder given his YPC this year and injury history.

That said, even if we only got a 2nd, and that player was equal only to Swift, it would actually be better as he would be signed cheap 2022 through 2025 seasons becoming a FA in 2026 season not 2024 FA season like Swift. Lot of ifs there. I don't think anyone would offer a 2nd. Team is already unwatchable even more so without Swift.

I think Williams is the better runner. Swift doesnt hit the hole and makes the wrong cut often. Swift a ton of upside as a receiver. They really should be on the field together at all times with this bare bones squad... but our OC is an idiot that doesn't understand personnel.

Last edited:
I think Williams is the better runner. Swift doesnt hit the hole and makes the wrong cut often. Swift a ton of upside as a receiver. They really should be on the field together at all times with this bare bones squad... but our OC is an idiot that doesn't understand personnel.

Swift hasn't had much blocking at times but agree he has missed some open holes or been too hesitant. Don't know how much his groin injury is effecting. Eagles game of course Williams was hurt too.

They have been on field some together but agree not enough. The OC still knows more than us all about what they are trying to do. Too much lack of talent plus injuries plus Goff further regression is a disaster.

Swift hasn't had much blocking at times but agree he has missed some open holes or been too hesitant. Don't know how much his groin injury is effecting. Eagles game of course Williams was hurt too.

They have been on field some together but agree not enough. The OC still knows more than us all about what they are trying to do. Too much lack of talent plus injuries plus Goff further regression is a disaster.

I think Gooof is crap....but i dont think Lynn is helping him any. Guy cant scheme anything. Defensive coaches one up him the entire game.

What if they trade Swift and use the draft pick(s) plus the R1 Rams pick to move up and grab Walker? I highly doubt Walker stays at MSU, he is likely a top 15, possibly top 10 pick...so it would take a ton to move back up, but he would be worth the move up to get him IMO.

What if they trade Swift and use the draft pick(s) plus the R1 Rams pick to move up and grab Walker? I highly doubt Walker stays at MSU, he is likely a top 15, possibly top 10 pick...so it would take a ton to move back up, but he would be worth the move up to get him IMO.

I don't think he's worth a first round pick...let alone trading up to get him.

like I said...RBs are a dime a dozen and you don't have to take them in the 2nd round.

Lets look at this objectively....here is a list of the best 10 or so running backs in the NFL

1. Derrick Henry - 2nd Round - 45th Overall
2. CMc - 1st Round - 8th overall
3. Dalvin Cook - 2nd Round - 41st overall
4. Alvin Kamara - 3rd Round - 67th overall
5. Aaron Jones - 5th Round - 182nd overall
6. Nick Chubb - 2nd Round - 35th overall
7. Saquan Barkley - 1st Round - 2nd overall
8. Zeke Elliot - 1st Round - 4th overall
9. Austin Ekeler - UDFA
10. Jonathan Taylor - 2nd Round - 41st overall

Now, you may not agree with that list and that's fine.....but I'd bet that most of us would agree that it's a pretty solid list of backs.

Anyway.....

Average draft position (I used 260th pick for Ekeler) - 68th overall (47th if you exclude Ekeler)
3 1st round picks
4 2nd round picks
Kamara was top of the 3rd.

So 80% were taken in the top 67 picks.

I don't think you can just say that backs are a dime a dozen when most of the best were taken in the top 2 rounds. Yes, like any position.....there are talented guys later in the draft.....but I think its pretty evident that you just can't plan on taking a back in the 5th or 6th round and think they will have as much of an impact as someone taken higher.

Really need to look at all picks of RBS

% of real good backs in 1st round out of all 1st round and % overall
Same with 2nd, same with 3rd

Probably slightly higher chance to get a good really good back in 1st or 2nd. But you can luck out and find one later Round 3 or later. Also you need run blocking and good coaching/run scheme and to luck out and not have them get concussions or knee or achilles or foot injuries.

Even the brute of Henry is going down with a foot injury

Last edited:
Lets look at this objectively....here is a list of the best 10 or so running backs in the NFL

9. Austin Ekeler - UDFA

I look at that list and see a bunch of injured players.

Henry out
CMc Out
Cook often injured
Chubb was out
Barkley significantly out

If you wanted to trade Swift you can....i think you should get atleast a 2nd round pick for him.

fix the line....grab a mid round back....or just use JWill as your work horse.

That said...i wouldnt trade him. Figure out how to use him better by getting a decent OC.

9. Austin Ekeler - UDFA

Now, you may not agree with that list and that's fine.....but I'd bet that most of us would agree that it's a pretty solid list of backs.

Anyway.....

Average draft position (I used 260th pick for Ekeler) - 68th overall (47th if you exclude Ekeler)
3 1st round picks
4 2nd round picks
Kamara was top of the 3rd.

So 80% were taken in the top 67 picks.

as far as I'm concerned, Barkley is a bust. He can't stay healthy.

Guys you didn't mention that are currently in the top 15 in rushing.

Mixon 2/48
Damien Harris 3/87
Darrell Henderson 3/70
James Robinson undrafted
N Harris 1/24
Gibson 3/66
Fournette 1/4
E Mitchell 6/194

I think it should be obvious that you don't need to spend a first round pick on a RB. They are too injury prone, so it doesn't make sense to waste that kind of draft capital on them.

as far as I'm concerned, Barkley is a bust. He can't stay healthy.

Guys you didn't mention that are currently in the top 15 in rushing.

Mixon 2/48
Damien Harris 3/87
Darrell Henderson 3/70
James Robinson undrafted
N Harris 1/24
Gibson 3/66
Fournette 1/4
E Mitchell 6/194

I think it should be obvious that you don't need to spend a first round pick on a RB. They are too injury prone, so it doesn't make sense to waste that kind of draft capital on them.

Well those are 2 wildly different points you?re making.

?RB are a dime a dozen? to ?don?t need to spend a 1st round pick? is a pretty big leap. They are not a dime a dozen, and nobody said spend a 1st round pick on one. My point was simple?..don?t trade Swift for picks?.then hope to draft a guy that might one day?.if everything goes well?..becomes DeAndre Swift.

Well those are 2 wildly different points you?re making.

?RB are a dime a dozen? to ?don?t need to spend a 1st round pick? is a pretty big leap. They are not a dime a dozen, and nobody said spend a 1st round pick on one. My point was simple?..don?t trade Swift for picks?.then hope to draft a guy that might one day?.if everything goes well?..becomes DeAndre Swift.

Sorry, I was thinking about several different posts, including this one

So most of the backs were taken with the top 3 rounds. Am I missing something or have the lions not really taken a first round back in a while? Who was it Jahvid Best? That was a long time ago now. 11 years ago lol.

Last edited:
Sorry, I was thinking about several different posts, including this one

Did you watch Walker? Guy is special.

But the Lions are not in position for a luxury pick like that. Walker is going to be a great pick for a team that is ready to contend for the playoffs, and they need a weapon in the backfield.

Buffalo
Arizona
Chiefs
Seahawks
Bucs

Don't get me wrong....I wouldn't hate the pick.....but it doesn't fit with what the Lions have and what they lack right now.

Did you watch Walker? Guy is special.

But the Lions are not in position for a luxury pick like that. Walker is going to be a great pick for a team that is ready to contend for the playoffs, and they need a weapon in the backfield.

Buffalo
Arizona
Chiefs
Seahawks
Bucs

Don't get me wrong....I wouldn't hate the pick.....but it doesn't fit with what the Lions have and what they lack right now.

I've seen him...he is a really good college RB. Not worthy of a first round pick though. He's no Johnathan Taylor or Najee Harris.

I've seen him...he is a really good college RB. Not worthy of a first round pick though. He's no Johnathan Taylor or Najee Harris.

Then you need to watch more. I'd take Walker of either of them. Not just because he's an MSU guy.....but because he's very much a Dalvin Cook clone.

Compact, quick, fast, tough. Can make you miss or run you over. Cook a much more polished pass catcher.....but Walker very similar skill set.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/...ker-in-the-running-for-rb1-in-2022-nfl-draft/

Doesn't mean he will be a high 1st rounder....but I'd say if he stays injury free for the next 4+ games he will be taken 20-32. He'll likely run in the 4.4 range at the combine and show good explosiveness.

Back