Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Might As Well Start Looking Forward to 2022 Now

I'm still not convinced that the Lions wouldn't be better off accepting the Carolina offer. Hell, they didn't even listen to other offers. It was reported that the 49ers wanted Matt too. They gave up #12 and 2 future firsts for #3. It's not hard to imagine that they wouldn't have given up #12, a future #1 and Jimmy G for Matt.

fwiw...#12 was Parsons

#gofful

I?d absolutely support trading away Swift if the return is good. Few RBs are worth it beyond their rookie deal, just the nature of the sport these days. Lions won?t be in a position to contend by the time his contract is up (last year is 2023), they?d be wise to move him before then.

Build a great oline....pick a 4th round back than can run straight through a hole and break a tackle every once in awhile. Done.

Or you ca be the lions and trade up for a early rd back every couple of years and watch him run for 2 yards per game with your shitty oline.

Last edited:
Build a great oline....pick a 4th round back than can run straight through a hole and break a tackle every once in awhile. Done.

Or you ca be the lions and trade up for a early rd back every couple of years and watch him run for 2 yards per game with your shitty oline.

The Oline is missing its 2 best players and the Lions did try to build the Oline now with Sewell in 2021. 2020 they took Jackson/Stenberg mid-rounds and added Vaitai for big money, that was Bob Quinn's attempt to Oline building. It wasn't ignored by Quinn (see Decker and Ragnow too) just poorly done at guar and RT.

Swift is a good back and cheap for 2 more years still. Bengals brought some really good run D though against a real banged up Lions Oline. Guards and Nelson and the new center Brown are not stepping up at all. Sewell looks like a rookie struggling who didn't play football in 2020.

But a rookie QB will be ruined unless our Oline gets healthy and we get 2 good WRs on this team. That said, if you think a QB will be a good franchise QB, you take them with our 1st pick this upcoming draft. And continue to try to build the team in FA/rest of draft including Rams 1st. Maybe you don't send him to the wolves in 2022 though.

But no reason for Goff to be the slaughter QB at that cap price in 2022. He either takes a huge pay cut or you dump him. Goff kind of got screwed with the Oline and Williams injuries and the lack of other WRs. But still was definitely missing open WRs and missing open throws and causing some sacks too. Pick was not Goff's fault yesterday either. But the offense is terrible with him without a run game.

And there will a be Right Guard change too. Vaitai cut for cap reasons (overpriced for below average guard production)

Last edited:
The Oline is missing its 2 best players and the Lions did try to build the Oline now with Sewell in 2021. 2020 they took Jackson/Stenberg mid-rounds and added Vaitai for big money, that was Bob Quinn's attempt to Oline building. It wasn't ignored by Quinn (see Decker and Ragnow too) just poorly done at guar and RT.

Swift is a good back and cheap for 2 more years still. Bengals brought some really good run D though against a real banged up Lions Oline. Guards and Nelson and the new center Brown are not stepping up at all. Sewell looks like a rookie struggling who didn't play football in 2020.

But a rookie QB will be ruined unless our Oline gets healthy and we get 2 good WRs on this team. That said, if you think a QB will be a good franchise QB, you take them with our 1st pick this upcoming draft. And continue to try to build the team in FA/rest of draft including Rams 1st. Maybe you don't send him to the wolves in 2022 though.

But no reason for Goff to be the slaughter QB at that cap price in 2022. He either takes a huge pay cut or you dump him. Goff kind of got screwed with the Oline and Williams injuries and the lack of other WRs. But still was definitely missing open WRs and missing open throws and causing some sacks too. Pick was not Goff's fault yesterday either. But the offense is terrible with him without a run game.

And there will a be Right Guard change too. Vaitai cut for cap reasons (overpriced for below average guard production)

Rashawn Slater didn't play his final season at Northwestern, and from what I have read, is playing great at LT for the Chargers.

Malik Willis is light years better than Jared Goff. He wouldnt be taking those goofy sacks where Goff cant even spin out of the way without tripping over himself.

Corral and Ridder will be top 15 picks as well.

Id argue nothing will help a 0-17 team more than a good qb. Atleast one that doesnt throw the ball away on 4th down lol.

Are you seriously suggesting they take the QB from fucking Liberty? The same low caliber, low ceiling guy who just threw for 1 TD and 3...THREE...INTs when competing against a team that Liberty was favored by over 30 points, only to lose?

THAT is your brilliant prospect to replace Goff all because your are impatient? That is so damn Lionesque it is ridiculous. And you question what the current staff is doing???

Rashawn Slater didn't play his final season at Northwestern, and from what I have read, is playing great at LT for the Chargers.

I must have missed where Slater is the youngest LT to start in NFL history. Damn, Sewell is such a fuck up! How dare a 20 year old not be as good as someone with 3 more years exprience!!!

People are living in a Dream with what they are expecting from these players and team this year.

And again, while the Lions may have had offers from other teams, he wanted to go to the Rams. Didn't Stafford ha e a No Trade Clause where he could refuse any trade the way most of the star players do? He was only going to accept the Rams trade, no other. Lions got what they could for him. Ti.e to move forward.

And again, while the Lions may have had offers from other teams, he wanted to go to the Rams. Didn't Stafford ha e a No Trade Clause where he could refuse any trade the way most of the star players do? He was only going to accept the Rams trade, no other. Lions got what they could for him. Ti.e to move forward.

no, he did not have a no trade clause

I must have missed where Slater is the youngest LT to start in NFL history. Damn, Sewell is such a fuck up! How dare a 20 year old not be as good as someone with 3 more years exprience!!!

People are living in a Dream with what they are expecting from these players and team this year.

3 more years of experience?

LKP was making excuses for Sewell because he missed 2020

Slater was born 3/26/1999
Sewell 10/9/2000

Both played college ball and both didn't play in 2020 due to Covid.

No point in explaining, most of everyone left in here are just trolls. Most were saying mark sanchez was better than Stafford for a while.

Slater with a competent qb and good wrs who get open faster. Sewell on a bum ankle on a shit team and flip flopping left to right to left

Sewell clearly better prospect. Slater would look like sewell does or worse here

Slater has looked good with LA. 13th ranked to Sewells 51st ranked out of 79 tackles.

Very different circumstances

But we'll see how the year plays out and the next four seasons too

People would have lost their shit if we took Slater over Sewell though.

Last edited:
From what I remember, Slater was more polished technically while Sewell had the higher ceiling. Not that surprising that Slater has been better to start off.

Are you seriously suggesting they take the QB from fucking Liberty? The same low caliber, low ceiling guy who just threw for 1 TD and 3...THREE...INTs when competing against a team that Liberty was favored by over 30 points, only to lose?

THAT is your brilliant prospect to replace Goff all because your are impatient? That is so damn Lionesque it is ridiculous. And you question what the current staff is doing???

Nope.... I'm stating a fact. A fucking turd from liberty is better than our shitty qb. I'd go Thibodeaux at 1. Qb or WR with the rams pick... depending on who is there.

Nope.... I'm stating a fact. A fucking turd from liberty is better than our shitty qb. I'd go Thibodeaux at 1. Qb or WR with the rams pick... depending on who is there.

I can loosely get behind that. As long as we are not passing up defensive talent at #1, whether that is Tibs or someone else. I would even get behind the best WR, though I'm unsure if any WRs are worth #1 overall this year either. If Bell drops into the mid rounds due to his injury, I would be ok with snagging him. Maybe with the R3 Comp? Definitely the R5 Comp if he is still available that late.

Still, I'd rather they get their QB in 2023, someone who should have the ability to hit on all the NFL level of throws with accuracy. Yes, that could mean getting the #1 overall pick again in 2023...I'm good with that...I can wait.

Maybe take a R6 flyer on someone in hopes they become TB 2.0. LOL

well...do the Lions trade anybody away at the deadline?

I see the Rams just got Von Miller for a 2022 2nd and 3rd. They are going all in.

The Rams getting better this year just means the pick they owe the Lions gets worse. Probably looking at somewhere between 28-31

Also, it looks like Denver is going to pay $7M of the $7.7M he is owed.

Last edited:
Doubt the Lions get anything more than a 6th or 7th for their expendable vets.

Maybe Decker, if he even plays again this year.

RBs are dropping like flies, bet they could get a nice return for Swift.

Doubt the Lions get anything more than a 6th or 7th for their expendable vets.

Maybe Decker, if he even plays again this year.

RBs are dropping like flies, bet they could get a nice return for Swift.

Hard to get behind trading the guy who is likely your best skill position player when he's still on his rookie deal. If the return was good, so be it. If we'd only get back a pick that we could use to fill that role again....it wouldn't be worth it.

well...do the Lions trade anybody away at the deadline?

I see the Rams just got Von Miller for a 2022 2nd and 3rd. They are going all in.

The Rams getting better this year just means the pick they owe the Lions gets worse. Probably looking at somewhere between 28-31

Also, it looks like Denver is going to pay $7M of the $7.7M he is owed.

Will the Rams even need to attend the 2022 draft?

Not saying it won't be worth it. Funny thing is.....I just looked in Spotrac and the Rams aren't in a bad salary cap position in the upcoming years. They will be a bit tight next year but can lower with some restructures.....in 2023 they're projected to have $88M available (minus what happens between then and now, of course). They don't need picks next year.

Hard to get behind trading the guy who is likely your best skill position player when he's still on his rookie deal. If the return was good, so be it. If we'd only get back a pick that we could use to fill that role again....it wouldn't be worth it.

I know it?s a bit controversial, but I?m already looking ahead to 2024 and beyond.

Swift has 2.5 years left. This year is obviously lost and, barring some miracle FA/draft, we?re probably bottom 10 again next year. That?s basically 1.5 years down the drain. Now we?re into 2024 in his contract year where he could potentially be a valuable contributor to a meaningful season. I suppose they could potentially tag him in 2025 too. After that they?ll lose him for nothing, or they?ll make a big mistake IMO and shell out big money to keep him.

My main concern is RB shelf life these days. Despite being on the injury report every week, he?s been surprisingly reliable, though I worry how much wear and tear will take its toll between now and 2024 (they were wise to bring in Williams though). I think his value is at its highest right now and they should take advantage of that while they can. If they were anywhere close to contending I wouldn?t even entertain this idea, but that?s not the case right now.

I know it?s a bit controversial, but I?m already looking ahead to 2024 and beyond.

Swift has 2.5 years left. This year is obviously lost and, barring some miracle FA/draft, we?re probably bottom 10 again next year. That?s basically 1.5 years down the drain. Now we?re into 2024 in his contract year where he could potentially be a valuable contributor to a meaningful season. I suppose they could potentially tag him in 2025 too. After that they?ll lose him for nothing, or they?ll make a big mistake IMO and shell out big money to keep him.

My main concern is RB shelf life these days. Despite being on the injury report every week, he?s been surprisingly reliable, though I worry how much wear and tear will take its toll between now and 2024 (they were wise to bring in Williams though). I think his value is at its highest right now and they should take advantage of that while they can. If they were anywhere close to contending I wouldn?t even entertain this idea, but that?s not the case right now.

I get what you're saying and mostly agree with it.....just not in THIS case. Now, if someone wanted to offer a 1st for him.....take it and run. But likely the Lions would get some kind of 2nd rounder and maybe a 4th or 5th. Something like that.

If they would use that 2nd in the hopes they could draft a guy who would potentially become Swift.....then the deal is pointless. Swift is one of the very few guys on this roster that has a skill set above his draft slot.

Good RB's seem to be much easier to come by now.....partially because of the wide open offenses. But leaving this offense with Williams and Jefferson would be a disservice to everyone.....fans included.

The Lions are on the edge of completely losing their fan base. The same fan base that has supported them for 60+ years with little return on their financial and emotional investments. Trading off the very few good players you have wouldn't be a good move, IMO. As unlikely as it seemed even 6 months ago.....Swift is the face of the franchise.

Back